Shops!

squisher

THE CALM ONE!!!!
Ok I've finally got myself a decent little shop and I'm hoping to use or pick y'alls brains for ideas on storage and set-up and what not.

I'm looking for idears on shelving and benches and any kind of little trick systems you're using.

Pics or description or links or whatever would be great.

My shop will be all around use, sawshop, woodshop, metalshop, mechanic shop. All in one. Lol.

I'd advise having closed cabinets as much as possible to store your tools and whatever, over open shelving. Obviously more work to put that together, but it makes for a much more overall tidy place. Both a bench against the wall and a free standing one that you can get all around is a good way to go if you have the room. Decide which one gets the Wilton vise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gonna need pics.

I'll try and get some pics. Basically right bare 30x40 12' ceiling with a 10' and a 8' door. Cement floor with a drain in the middle and plywood walls.

Jay any cabinetry will have to be quite basic for me to build, but some good points/ideas that's the kind of brainstorming I'm looking for. Just things for me to consider or work into the layout as I'm going about it.

It seems a little overwhelming right now. Most of my tools are still at the old place. I have the luxury of two months to move it over. Unfortunately that luxury also includes the cost of two mortgages as my old place is rented for Feb. 1st.

Really good lighting is a prime need. I've worked in far too many shops with marginal lighting and it just plain sux. For sure the workbench areas need to be brightly lit. White walls help alot in this.

It has good flourescents right now but a couple have bulb or ballast problems. Once that's sorted the lighting is pretty good.

Start with electrics. Plenty of 'em, both lighting and sockets.

Shelving for most used kit nearest the door. Lockable preferred, if open shelved possibly cable locked to wall.

Good solid bench, as said to access all sides, if not against a wall near the stove and beer fridge!

Good open area inside main door (chipper access would be good) and good strong beam above work area for possible lifting.

I'd have any small tools in lockable cupboards but still easy access.

Make main door lockable from inside only. Smaller hand door with steel lining if security is a risk.

Once you put up cabinets or shelving, you may find they shadow work benches underneath them. Florescents under the cabinets can really brighten up a workbench that has overhead cabinetry.

Lol, can tell you're a brit. No offense but lock this, lock that. I'll have the place locked down bigtime, I'm paranoid that way, but guess what? My stuff never seems to walk off.

Good tips!

I agree with extra light over the work bench. I also built a small enclosed cabinet for my air compressor outside the shop and ran the line through a hole in the wall. Keeps the noise down. And I don't lock down anything inside the shop, because nobody ever gets that far unless they are invited. :evil:

Ditto on what Burnham mentions about lighting. My shop has florescent up high, but right over my bench I prefer incandescent. My favorite light is a halogen on an adjustable arm right above my vise, 150W. A great sharp light that is comfortable on my eyes. Tucks against the wall when not in use. If you jar the part that holds the bulb when it is on, the filament can break pretty easily. Those bulbs are expensive!

Yes, lighting, and getting the air comp outside are huge! There are lots and lots of modular cabinets made now if you want stupid nice. Watch auctions, sales and craigslist for people remodeling, you can pick up kitchen cabinets dirt cheap and they are great for a workshop!
Build a welding table, mine is 3'x4', not as big as I'd like, but all the room I could spare. Don't even think about building it with less than a 1/4" top, mine is 1/2", it will warp with heat. Look around for used scrap steel. Mine is nothing more than an angle iron frame and legs with the top welded on. Nothing fancy, but a nice solid place to mount a vise, and I don't have to worry about it warping ever.
2x4's and 5/8" plywood make nice benches for not much money. Get a tree trunk that stands flat and bore cut into it for a cheap saw stand that looks cool, lots of things you can do cheap.

Replace "lock" with "large dog" and you'll be just fine.:lol:

I can't really add anything. Tons of light is ideal. I know a couple of people now that have two-toned their shops. A gray or tan color up to about four feet, then white from there up. You are always going to have stuff leaned up against the lower part. Plywood is good for a shop wall, harder to poke holes in it than drywall.

I can't remember who originally posted it, but one of the coolest chainsaw storage racks I ever saw was a log with a slot cut in, bolted to the wall. The saws are stored upright with the bars thrust down through the slot in the log. I have been using this in my own small shop, and have never found an easier or better way to store my saws.

I can't remember who originally posted it, but one of the coolest chainsaw storage racks I ever saw was a log with a slot cut in, bolted to the wall. The saws are stored upright with the bars thrust down through the slot in the log. I have been using this in my own small shop, and have never found an easier or better way to store my saws.
Brendon has one of those. Plus a couple of saw shops in the area.

I built a rolling 3x3 tool storage about 6ft tall peg board three sides tools hang inside and out. rolls to the door or in its spot on the wall big wrenches on the back as those are mostly bucket truck tools ect that dont fit in the to small a garage!

I've got the Cedar log with the slits, works nice, and you can store them on both sides if you have a lot of saws.

From shops I've been in I've always thought what I'd do to mine. White walls for sure. The welding/grinding shop would be in it's own little area, with a clear tarp on a shower curtain sort of deal. Keeps metal shavings from going everywhere and rusting on paint of those always waxed trucks/equipment. High storage for items you never use, a nice workbench on wheels with leveling legs, toolboxes on wheels, blah blah.

I like Jay's suggestion of a moveable light! If you run a chop saw it is nice to have a lower section of bench that puts the chop saw table height the same as the surrounding benches. I definatly need more lights and wish I had 220 in the shop so I could leave the compressor out there as opposed to next to my bedroom! Think i will be dashing white paint around this summer too. Plywood is kinda iffy for welding/grinding, sheetrock mo betta there. Sheetrock over plywood is most excellent. Ceiling plugs are handy too.

Back