Derrick rigging and redneck cranes

Tree09

Treehouser
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well share the love brother! Lol I'm in Illinois, so cheap stuff there doesn't help me here. I did make my own grcs tho, non self tailing winch off Ebay.

T Collins

Aloha Arborist
I highly recommend scouring Craigslist and offerup use the search "winch" or "capstan" set price max at $400 or so

Hook up some elevator fools and they will hook you up with squeaky blocks, fuzzy rope and plenty of scrap steel when they're done with a job. The stuff is supposed to be thrown away after every big high-rise.

If you find a repair crew they will give you miles of nasty fiber core plow steel wire rope.

Last edited:

pantheraba

More biners!!!
You have gotten some attention now! When you can show us HOW you use that. There's angles and dangles there that I can't yet parse out. (y)

Tree09

Treehouser
Smart idea! I might have to do that on mine lol

BlackSmith

Uncivil
I was thinking of mounting a winch in place of the hoe bucket and running it off the bucket cylinder hydraulics but that looks like a better option for a one man operation. Thanks for the post.

Tree09

Treehouser
You could do one on each wheel, and only lift the wheel that you want to turn lol

T Collins

Aloha Arborist
Well that's exactly what they did, kept 1 tire planted. There once was an aftermarket wheel hub mounted drum for willys jeeps and vertical axis pto shaft driven capstans too.

Burnham

Woods walker
Great to look at, I'll agree completely...but hell on earth to drive any distance at all, never mind getting much over 50 mph or 9 mpg.
:D

lxskllr

Treehouser
A friend of mine had a 62. It didn't have the PTOs either. Someone crammed a V8 in it, and dicked it up, but it was still a cool truck. If someone were to offer me any vehicle of my choice, a Willys wagon would be in my top 5 easy.