Rope bag project...

• Thread starter Hobby Climber
  • Start date
  • Replies 395
  • Views 35K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its been a while since I've posted anything about the rope bags so I guess its time for an update:

I'm still getting folks requesting the mesh bags but I had stopped taking order earlier this summer because the Bag lady has stopped making the bags for the year...for what ever reason.

PIGWOT was kind enough to offer a lead to a company that may be interested in making the bags but due a family situation with the owner, things are understandably on hold.

On the flip side, I came across a small local sewing shop that does freelance work. I visited them today and showed them the 14" mesh bag and they said they'd give it a try. I now have to get the templates & pattern over to them as well as the materials/fabric so they can work out the labor cost after building a few. The owner said she would have to get a few different parts for her machine(s), (different foot) but it wasn't a big deal.

Once I get their price on labor for the bags, I'll see what the overall bag cost will be and then decide if its worth it or not to continue making them. Cross your fingers!

So it looks like I just might be back up & running in the new year!:D

As for the original Bag Lady...she is still working full time at her day job but said she'll be quitting in the new year. ...She said the same thing last year!:what: This may work out nicely because the bag Lady doesn't have any desire to mass produce bags. She has no problem making a few now & then but frankly isn't up to the big orders. For now, she'll be doing the solid bags (when ever she get around to it) and working on new ideas for prototypes that I come up with. Example:-Like a new design for a mesh through line bag etc. She'll also be doing all the custom bags,(again eventually).

I hope this works out because if it doesn't, I'll have to turn this mesh bag gig over to some arbo manufacturer so they can farm it out to China or Mexico to make a cheap version in some sweatshop. I DON'T want to do that if I don't have to!!!

By this weekend I should have the materials over to the new shop and then it's a matter of "wait & see" at that point!

Time will tell eh,

HC

Dude you could have your own Malaysian(China's getting too expensive) sweatshop if you play your cards right

Had I mentioned I'm just an idea guy & know very little about big biz! HC

how about those folding throw line boxes? as if you dont have enough on your plate :)

I hope this contractor works out Bob. If not you are just gonna have to quit being a cop and start sewing.

I hope this contractor works out Bob. If not you are just gonna have to quit being a cop and start sewing.
-- --------------------

Sewing...me...that sounds like work! :P

I'll stick with my day job and part time climbing gigs!

Just got home from dropping off all the bag materials with the sew shop. They said they're gonna make a few to see how much time will be required to make each bag and work out a price per item. That price will determine everything!!!

With Christmas just around the corner, I don't expect to hear back from them any time soon but ya never know.

If things work out with the shop, I'm only going to be producing the 14" mesh bag (at this time). The idea is this: Most standard hanks come either 120' or 150' length. So why have a 16" bag if your only going to be filling it with the shorter ropes! Later on I'll likely have other sizes made but for now I just want to keep things simple. Baby steps and all that, eh!

Again, before I get ahead of myself, I have to wait & see shat kinda price they quote me first!

More later,

HC

I hope these go through, I love my solid bags!.

As far as the 16" bags, IMO you should make those too. Some of my bags hold 2 125' ropes. My climbing bag holds my 120' rope plus my saddle and helmet all in one.

But good luck, hope it all works out.

At some point I wouldn't mind getting a 16" solid bag to hold a bullrope. But I'll wait until you get the production things worked out. ;)

I know its been a while since anyone has seen the mesh bags so here are a few picks to refresh the memory.

...Who am I kidding...I just want to post some pictures is all. :D

Still waiting to hear back from the sew shop.

HC

Ooh-don't like the last one -bad mojo for a lifeline.

Where are our bags? Send our bags! No surrender! Justice for rope baggers! Send our bags!

I hope the sew shop works out Bob.

Thanks,

As far as the sew shop goes, once I hear something you'll be the first to know! Nothing yet.

Regarding that last rope bag (skulls), that is my personal bag and a Birthday present from the Bag Lady. It was a "one-of" and can NOT be offered for sale because the pattern is a custom design used with the Shock-Pro brand shock covers. Its same place the Bag Lady works. She had one of her co-workers digitally remove their logo from that pattern and print out four panels. (Don't tell the owner ;) ). They were used in the construction of my "Skull Bag".

Maybe down the road I could look into different patterns or logos for a custom bag but thats a long way off. I still have to see if things are gonna work out with this sew shop.

HC

Robert, are you interested in having Friedrich Drayer make and sell your mesh bags in Germany?

PM me if interested...

Robert, are you interested in having Friedrich Drayer make and sell your mesh bags in Germany?

PM me if interested...
----------------

Frans,

Need more info, PM sent.

HC

Does the mesh hold up well? I mean can it be tossed around a take a good beating?

Does the mesh hold up well? I mean can it be tossed around a take a good beating?

I've been thrashing mine pretty hard. Throwing it into the back of the truck with the pole tools and chips, dropping it from the tree, etc.

So far, so good. It cant be as strong as 1000 danier cordura, but they do a great job.

Here's the bad news,

The woman from the sew shop I was looking into called tonight. She's been working on the Mesh bag for a few days now. The bags are taking over 3 hours to put together from scratch and the technique used to attach the webbing with its backing was a bit to much for her and her arthritus(sp).

She has one partly finished but was not satisfied with the was it was turning out. She could not get the bottom section as close to the sides as was required. She did mentioned that the original "Bag Lady" is a very talented sewer and should be credited on her creation! That was nice.

So for now, I am dead in the water as far as me producing any more bags unless I find another sew shop to make them for me! Sorry to everyone who have been waiting for their order.:cry:
---------------------

Now the good news,

I was contacted by a reputable arborist supply company(USA) that was very interested in the solid bags. I sent them one at their request to see if they can reproduce it. If so, they will be available from that supplier in the near future. Cross your fingers...again!!!;).

Later,

Bob (aka-HC)

Bob, I always loved the grass-roots feel to your product, but I also understand when it's time to go "production" with it.
In any event, I wish you every success.
I know my brother is really pleased with your product (Kristian Schultz, IRAT Trainer & Nat.'l ITCC Competitor) and endorses it.
Best Wishes,
Theresa Kotsonis
ISA Cert. Arborist #3855A-MI

Sure Nick,

"BOUNCE", (Sean at Wes-Spur) got a hold of me a few weeks back and was interested in the Solid Bag. He has to see if they can reproduce it first and then get the OK from his boss to proceed further!

It's not an easy bag to make and time consuming but then again...worth it IMHO!

FRANS mentioned a couple posts back that he had a German connection that might be interested in manufacturing & marketing the Mesh Bag. I called him on his cell while he was driving the truck home... just before he lost his breaks. It was a short phone call for obvious reasons and I haven't head back from him.

Things are still up in the air for the moment but I haven't given up hope yet! Just waiting to hear back at this time.

Bob

Bob,
I know my brother is really pleased with your product (Kristian Schultz, IRAT Trainer & Nat.'l ITCC Competitor) and endorses it.
Best Wishes,
Theresa Kotsonis
ISA Cert. Arborist #3855A-MI
--------------------------------------------------

Theresa,

I had the pleasure of meeting your brother Kristian, (aka-"Whiz") in Midland Michigan at the TCC this past summer. He's a very interesting fellow and an all around good guy to say the least. Man can that guy climb!!!

Also met a bunch of guys that hang out over at the BUZZ site including Paul, (aka-"Tree Rat").

Here's a pic of Whiz & Tree Rat below.

Enjoy,

Bob

PS- Tell your bro he's still not getting his hands on my skull bag any time soon! Ha Ha

Back