Another trailer project.

SkwerI

Treehouser
As most of you know, I have a habit of buying old, worn out stuff because I think it's a deal and then spend 2-3x as much money on fixing it up into what I should have bought in the first place. My current equipment trailer is no different. I bought it last summer to haul my loader and immediately had to weld on a new hitch, I added an electric tongue jack with its own dedicated battery, I got a new 7 way plug with 8' lead and junction box (eliminated all my wiring issues), new brakes, hubs, bearings on all 4 wheels, I added a rub rail down both sides for tying down and frame reinforcement, new fenders, etc.

Last month my loader broke through 2 boards on the deck. I patched it with an old street sign. Since selling my dump trailer last week I can now get caught up on a few things including the trailer. I bought the lumber yesterday for the deck. On Amazon I ordered the special self drilling deck screws to attach the boards to the cross members, new leaf springs (for 5k axles instead of 3500 lb axles), hanger hardware with brass bushings and greasable bolts, a solar charger for my battery and some 14 gauge wire to replace all the wiring from the junction box back. Actually this latest round isn't as much money as it may seem. A bit over $600. I will probably take 2 days to do it, then a quick trip to my welder to reattach the steel strap that holds the board edges down.

Leaf springs These will give me a little more margin room since I am about 6500 lbs loaded (3500 lb axles).
Heavy Duty Shackle Upgrade Kit Fully greasable with bronze bushings instead of plastic.
Solar charger This was larger than I expected. Not sure if I will mount it permanently or just plug it in and lay it on top of the toolbox when needed.

00101_22YJuVqEqUrz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg IMG_0421.JPG IMG_0471.JPG IMG_0488.JPG IMG_0540.JPG IMG_0539.JPG

Last edited:
thats some nice hardware, once I pay my trailer off (and have a guanantee the payment company wont try to repo it) then I might upgrade mine
I still cant believe they sent a guy out for my trailer, that im current on, and they didnt even have the right name on the papers!
one thing I might add, Brian, perhaps use chains instead of straps on your machine? I suppose its just a preference thing, but I have better luck with chains, but you do you, your machine and your money

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, chains are more durable. But straps are lighter and easier to handle on a daily basis. Straps are completely safe as long as you inspect them regularly and replace when they begin to fray. I do that daily. That's why I got the plastic corner guards to place on the top edge of the bucket where it was cutting my strap.

I prefer replacing straps once a year over handling chains every day.

Also my new leaf springs came today. And yes, they actually use PLASTIC bushings! This is why I bought the greasable bolts with bronze bushings.

IMG_0542.JPG

Finished work early today and was in the mood to start on the trailer. I figured I could swap out springs on one side before dark. All was going well until the u bolts stripped out on me. The old hardware was trashed and plastic bushings have no business on a work trailer.

I spent way too much money for 2 u bolts at the auto parts store, and they are a smaller diameter than stock. But they will allow me to put the trailer together until the replacements get here Wednesday. IMG_0543.JPG IMG_0544.JPG

This morning I started at 6am getting the axle u bolts installed and getting the trailer mobile again. I will replace the u bolts and do the springs on the other side next week when the new u bolts come in. So at 7:30 I started on replacing the deck. I cut off the cross straps and unscrewed all the deck boards. Then I pulled new wires for the tail lights while I had easy access. The new boards went in super easy right up until the last one. I ended up having to pull out my table saw and shave a half inch off the width. By 10:30 I was all done except the welding. Waiting to hear from my buddy who welds so I might get it done today. Otherwise Monday at my usual place.

This is why I don't like working after noon. I'm a little tired!

IMG_0545.JPG IMG_0546.JPG IMG_0547.JPG IMG_0548.JPG

Another fine build/refurbish thread by Skwerl. I still remember your Mustang thread. #skillz

Thanks Cory. By the way, those boards are pretty straight and clean for Home Depot. From what people say about HD lumber, you'd think they would be warped like crazy. The 2 darker boards were drier than the rest, I think they were returned.

Just wrapping this up. I got the u bolts yesterday so today after work I tackled it and got everything wrapped up in less than 2 hours. Looking forward to seeing how it handles with the new suspension setup. No pictures because it looks exactly like the last picture.

When putting my wheels back on the trailer I was looking at the rust forming. Then I found a nail in one right at the edge of the sidewall. And the rear two tires are over half worn out already. So I started looking at wheels and thinking of upsizing to 225/75-15 tires so I could get them in 10 ply instead of 8 ply. I can get plain gloss black wheels for $225 (for 4) or these for $320 for 4. Is this too much for a work trailer?

81scQ8Tj--L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

When putting my wheels back on the trailer I was looking at the rust forming. Then I found a nail in one right at the edge of the sidewall. And the rear two tires are over half worn out already. So I started looking at wheels and thinking of upsizing to 225/75-15 tires so I could get them in 10 ply instead of 8 ply. I can get plain gloss black wheels for $225 (for 4) or these for $320 for 4. Is this too much for a work trailer?

81scQ8Tj--L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
You’d have to check they’d take the weight. There’s a reason trailer wheels are solid steel.

Well I pulled the trigger just now. I bought the wheels, metal bolt in valve stems, black lug nuts and I found a very highly rated trailer tire in 205/75-15 with a 10 ply rating. All for about $700. It would cost me $600 just for tires locally.

And the standard steel trailer rims are only rated for 1850 lbs so these are stronger than what I have now.

Back