Rope bag project...

• Thread starter Hobby Climber
  • Start date
  • Replies 395
  • Views 35K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just checked the Fedex tracking info on that new industrial sewing machine I bought...

It left California on the 22nd and arrived in Toledo Ohio on the 24th. As I type this post, is in rout from Ohio to my father-in-laws place in SterlingHights Michigan. He might get it in the afternoon...maybe.

As mentioned earlier, BL#1 first has to break in this new machine and then break in BL#2. After that...its production time. :)

Eventually, I hope to not only get caught up with all the orders but would like to have at least 10 of each bag, (solid & mesh) pre made/on hand so I can get them sent out ASAP as orders come in!

Getting there. HC

Weak Point on HB's rope bags

Hey HB,
I have noticed two points on the bags that are weak and the seams are beginning to fail.

On the handles, the handle is stitched BELOW the upper strap that has the grommets in it.
At the point where the handles meet the bag, that stitching is tearing apart.
I would recommend stitching the handles ALL THE WAY to the top of the bag. Not just to the bottom of the grommet strap.

I will post a picture when I get a chance.

Thanks

Frans

Hey HB,
I have noticed two points on the bags that are weak and the seams are beginning to fail.

On the handles, the handle is stitched BELOW the upper strap that has the grommets in it.
At the point where the handles meet the bag, that stitching is tearing apart.
I would recommend stitching the handles ALL THE WAY to the top of the bag. Not just to the bottom of the grommet strap.

I will post a picture when I get a chance.

Thanks

Frans

--------------------------------
--------------------------------

Frans,

Thanks for the heads up on the bags handles. Very much appreciated!!!

BTW, I now have the new industrial sewing machine but it doesn't have a zig-zag feature. Been trying to figure out a way to get around this issue at the top of the handles but have been drawing blanks.

Now with your new input, I can let the Bag Lady know the zig-zag feature is not needed and to just attach the handles all the way to the top of the bags rim.

Hopefully now I can get the two Bag Lady's (BL#1 & BL#2) back to making bags and not over thinking little problems!

Thanks again Frans,:thumbup:

HC

Photos of Stitching

Two photos.
One is of the stitching pulling loose. The other is of the webbing laying flat against the top of the bag strap.
I personally believe that the handle should be sewn against the top strap maybe using a box stitch bisected with two seams in an 'X' within the box.
Hope all this is clear:

Whenever I notice a loose thread on mine, I'll melt it with a lighter. The melted thread will also seal itself and prevent further unraveling.

Thanks for the pics Frans.

I originally wanted to use the box-X stitch but it was suggested that the web handles may not fold back along the side properly so a zig-zag stitch was used.

The nylon thread used is wax coated and I'm wondering if thats what may have allowed it to come loose? Perhaps a locking stitch could have helped.

Doesn't matter now, I'll take your suggestion and make the handles of the mesh bags attach to the top rim with a box-X stitch and that should take care of this problem!
-------------

The two Bag Lady's should be getting together this weekend,(if all goes well) and BL#2 will be trained to make the mesh bags. Because of a designe flaw with the new sewing machine I bought, BL#2 will be making the sides, top & handles. BL#1 will be making the bottoms and attaching them to the bags.

I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with the delays in getting the bags made!!!:what: Sorry for the delays...again!

HC

Bob, Take deep breaths, Shoot a perp. Go fishing. It will be alright-we know that quality is worth waiting for.

Oh and hurry up already wouldya.:P

It will be alright-we know that quality is worth waiting for.

They are very nice, high quality bags. I like them and will buy more when I need them.
Already being able to see what rope is in the bag is a great help. Also, the bags drain very well after working in the rain.
:thumbup:
HB, I understand what you said about the handles not folding back if stitched all the way to the top. But I put a clothes pin on the handle and then stuffed a rope. Yes the handles stood upright, but it is easy to keep them out of the way while stuffing. No biggi in my opinion.

Frans,

Do all the bags have the same issue or was it just the one in your pic? If its just the one bag, maybe the bag lady forgot to make a locking stitch on it! (an easy fix).

For now I'll be sewing the handles to the top of the rim.

HC

The purpose in posting ideas for improvements skwerl, is because HB is making a product that he wants to be truly solid. So he is constantly seeking out new ways to improve the method of construction.

HB, only one is doing this right now but I will put the others on my machine and sew them to the top of the bag because IMO it is a weak point.

HB, only one is doing this right now but I will put the others on my machine and sew them to the top of the bag because IMO it is a weak point.
-- -------------------------------
---------------------------------

Frans,

Let me know how it works with the handles sewn to the top. I'll hold off untill I hear back from you!

Bob

Hb, thanks again for the rope bags. After some time in using them they still are holding up.
The sewing the handles to the top of the bag works great. I noticed that CMIs rope bags are sewn the same way.
Thanks again for all the hard work

Frans

Thanks for the update Frans.

Never noticed how CMI did there handles...been using my original prototype bags since day one and never looked back!

Just to let everyone know, it didn't work out with the 2nd Bag Lady (BL#2). I bought a heavey duty sewing machine to get her up & running but found out that there were designe issues with the machine. We could not sew the bottom of the bags on with this machine. So the plan was to just have her do the tops, sides, and handles and then let BL#1 attach the bottoms with her machine.

There were a few other minor issues to work out regarding techmique but in the end I don't think that the 2nd Bag Lady wanted to make the bags,(I'll leave it at that).

Because of all the time loss waiting for the machine to arrive and getting the other Bag Lady trained and a number of poor quality bag parts produced, I have nothing to show for the effort except less material, a heavey duty sewing machine, and a lot of time waisted.

In other words...back to square one and it'll be longer of a delay in getting proper bags made.

Nothing Ventured...Nothing Gained!

BTW, I do have a couple of solid 16" bags finished for local guys around here and one is for OM. Just waiting for some mesh bags to be put together before I can get them shipped!

My priority is to get "Rborist1"'s order out first because he's been waiting the longest!!! :( ...sorry Craig

Thats all for now... HC

Hi HC

Hi HC,

PM's sent.

Please add me to the list,for a couple of bags.

Ragards,
Mitch

Hi Mitch,

Welcome to the TreeHouse!!!

Thank you for your interest in my rope bags but I am about 25+ bags backed up at this time and the person who makes them for me has a full time job. ...In other words your looking well into next year before I get caught up with orders the way its looking. Sorry :cry: !

I have to start thinking about maybe getting them made overseas but as I mentioned earlier, I'm not a business man but rather an innovator! Thats gonna take me a while to educated myself & get organized! Its all new to me!

Yesterday I attended at the Michigan T.C.C. in Midland Michigan an had a great time. I met TC3's brother there as well...nice fellow I must say!

I also had a conversation with one of the Bartlett people from Detroit. They were good enough to allow me to show the bags at their display to get customer feedback. I could have sold about 15 to 20 mesh bags within the three or so hours I was there... if I had some made!:whine:

Bartlett said that that they would sell my bags for me on consignment at this time and if they do well would be interested in bulk orders if I decide to go bigger, (ie: -having them made in China).

Just as a foot note:

While at the T.C.C. in Michigan, I watched the "Through Line Competition", and observed about half a dozen competitors having issues with tangled rope coming out of there rope bag. Each one had coiled there rope first and then stuffed it into the rope bag. That technique ended up costing them points in added time it took to untangle there line in that competition!:cry:

Rope MUST be flaked into a rope bag...NOT COILED & STUFFED!!! :X

HC

Bob, Many companies have found that cheap labor south of the border allows them to manufacture and import goods competitively. Perhaps you should check into having the bags made in ..... Michigan.

Bob, Many companies have found that cheap labor south of the border allows them to manufacture and import goods competitively. Perhaps you should check into having the bags made in ..... Michigan.
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

Justin,

If you or anyone can find me a reasonable sweatshop south of our border to produce the bags, I'm all ears!!! The Bag Lady is not willing to give up her day job just yet and may work another year before working full time for me.

So far, she's only made one mesh bag since the 2nd Bag Lady left a few month back. Its very aggravating because I now have the demand for the bags but not the supply! :what:

What I'd like to eventually do is have some sweat shop produce the standard 14" mesh bags for me but still have the Bag Lady build the custom bags & prototypes. That would be best way to go I think.

As it stands now, I'm very hesitant to take on any more orders for fear of having guys pissed off at me for the ridiculously long delays in filling orders!!!:(

HC

I could auction off my two used HC rope bags to those who aren't willing to wait, but I'm afraid I'm not willing to part with them. :P

Sorry, but I had to rub that in... :D

Back