Rear Mount Bucket ?

I'm curious how they are going to build the flatbed around the boom. It was something I asked about earlier on in this thread.

I'll post up some pics of mine, when it's light enough to snap pics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've seen/operated non material handler booms with flatbeds. I just always thought the material handler with a utility body was built as part of the boom. For weight, etc.

Buckets with material handlers can be a nightmare in the arborist industry. Tree guys as a whole typically tends to push the limits of all their gear and a bucket with a built in crane is an invitation for disaster. I'm pretty anal about keeping my stuff functioning well (even if it isn't washed and waxed) and even I have pushed the limits of my boom more than once. Stick an employee in the bucket who doesn't have to pay for the machine and you'll have a major disaster in the first year.

To treeman75-
Do yourself a favor and make up some rigging slings. DO NOT make a habit of hooking limbs to the winch and then cutting them. You will end up busting hydraulic lines when the butt comes loose and wedges up under the boom (ask me how I know). Make a habit of rigging the limb to itself, cutting, and then transferring the limb to the winch. I use 1/2" and 5/8" double braid polyester slings for rigging and usually just use 1" loop runners for grabbing the load with the winch. NEVER shock load the winch, you will blow out the internal clutch and it's expensive to have it rebuilt (ask me how I know).

Thanks for the help. I really dont want the mh and might ask how hard it would be to take it off. The truck should be much lighter with out the box.

You won't save much weight or room, it's the boom that is so heavy. You will find many uses for the material handler and it will pay for itself hundreds of times over. Even loading logs into the truck at the end of the day.

I did eliminate the extra hydraulic tool circuits at the bucket when I had the winch rebuilt. I was able to eliminate 2 valve bodies and almost a dozen hydraulic lines (all pressurized and potential leaks). Gave me a little more working room to get the winch plumbed up again.

I see where the mh would come in handy. I wont be shock loading the boom. I am having them run a line for air to the back to blow out saws and stuff.

I was thinking of that backyard oak TD with Brian while I was down there awhile ago; that MH was the shit, for sure. Sure kept the brush out of the pool!

:thumbup:

For an air line I replaced a side plug in the rear air tank with a line fitting. Used a short line with a quick coupler and tucked it up in the C channel crossmember. I keep a 25' air line in one of the toolboxes along with an air nozzle and tire chuck. Very handy mod.

Hows your truck coming, TM75?

There's a decent forestry truck on TB if anyone else is looking. All original really, minus hood paint. Good engine, and 7 speed stick. He said he was moving and giving up the business, which forces the sale. Why do forestry setups have to be dime a dozen though, damn! Cannot get over working over the cab, and the length, or I'd be all over it if the truck I looked at doesn't work out.

It is nice to be able to go with one unit and bang a full clean-up job out. If I was setting up again, I'd go with a dedicated chip truck and rear mount short wheelbase though. I'd keep looking.

DSC04721.JPG They started cutting the utility bed off this week. It will be a couple weeks before its done. Here is a pic of one of the trucks, they sandblast all the rust and sand the cab then primer and paint. I drove out there last week to check it out and drive the truck. They really go through them. I will post pics when I get them

Hey Brendon I was watching some of your vids and like the one of you loading brush and logs with loader. Did you notice your ground guy at 5:17 I thought that was funny!

002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 008.JPG Thought I would post a few more pics. My truck is almost done it has a few more things to do in the body shop then it goes to the mechanics bay. After that they check the boom and it gets certified.

That looks great! Though I have to think those caution lights on the corners of the headache rack are in for a short life :).

That's cool! The anticipation must be killer! I woulda loved one today, and about 3 days out of every week. But good things come with time!

Back