Ever seen a old trailer- mounted bucket like this ?

What's in the little house on the back? It looks like there's an air conditioner on it. Does it have a generator to run the electric/hydraulics?

That would make an awesome playhouse for the kids!

I’m thinking that may have been something used in the oil/gas industry. Little room for testing stuff maybe? Bucket removed. Boom used as light mobile crane?

I don't think so. I think it's just a Frankenstein made by someone, likely far past its date for the scrap yard. I have thought about that myself honestly tho lol

I would likely do a bucket truck that had the front end/ engine completely blown up, then i could just torch the frame and weld on a gooseneck for my truck :D. Might be getting a huge dump trailer project this winter :lol: i know the trucks that are speced for lifts, cranes, etc are all double frame, but i don't know if the engine and cab are designed into the lift as a counterweight, as in the lift can only be used with 10 k plus sitting as a counterweight. That would be the limiting factor i think.

Are those outriggers or stabilizers? I thought most boom lifts used just stabilizers

We always called them outriggers. I’m not a bucket aficianao though. Had an old man call me about a tree once...asked if I had a bucket...I asked, “You got some peas that need picking?”

Either way, I figure that rig is ready to go as far as that's concerned. Every forestry unit I ever saw had only the two stabilizers attached at or near the mast itself. That rig has one at each corner of the trailer.

That's why i was wondering about if it was designed to have extra weight as a counterweight. That's the part that needs to be figured out to do a conversion like that, and that unit probably has the house thing on it to do that. My .02 from 1k miles away lol

One thing’s for sure...once you unhooked the truck from it, you won’t be scooting it around with a mini!

Outriggers are designed to level and lift the entire machine/truck up, and are rated differently than stabilizers which are designed to level/firm up the machine only.
So the Power Co. and Davey / Asplundh trucks have Stabilizers and Cranes have outriggers ?

Depending on the exact model, generally yes. Some cranes might only have stabilizers, it just depends on the design. Since I'm on a phone i took another look at the pics, i was mistaken earlier on it being a cobbled thing. To me it looks like it was either that way from the factory or was put together by someone who could fab fairly well (from a crappy pic 50 feet away). I should look into this more, that might be a good project for me :lol: not one that big with air brakes and stuff, but one with hydraulic brakes might be doable and be towed with my 1 ton (32k capacity on a goose). Depending on the weight i could even swap axles. Basically like a really big towable lift with a gooseneck or 5th wheel. Those trucks with blown motors go cheap at auction.... :/:

Well how about that, they sometimes have a required weight listed in the specs... 21 k is very doable :lol: here's one for a new terex, 65 foot
Screenshot_20211007-200600_Drive.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When the age isn't advertised, you know it's old.

Is that, or isn't that not an over-center boom?

Back