Rear Mount Bucket ?

Backing mine up a steep winding road with the chipper and a half load of chips made me smile today. I don't care much about the ride. Gotta get my tailgate mounted on it so I can haul more than a half load now

Mine's a 60' WH rear mount. You can always use more hieght but it does a fantastic all around job imo.

id try t o look for the dt 466 with a 6 and 1 trans

the 444 is a bit weak imo, i ran an lb 650 on a chassis like you showed a pic of, nice for tight spots............not all internationals are rattle traps, its all about maint.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The motor is what you'll find in Ford pickups from 95-2003.5? also known as the "Powerstroke". A guy on the buzz has a truck with that boom with a bigger engine for sale.

theres a 90's rear mount hi ranger, 55-pbi on a ford chasis
for sale on the orange county ca craigslist for under 10 g, its a former west coast arborist rig

Thanks.

I looked at/flew a rig on Saturday. It's def. what I'm looking for, just hoping the owner really wants to sell her. :|: Already picture my name on the side. We'll see !

I love mine. It has some limitations since it is designed as a line truck and not a tree truck, but for me that is outweighed by the increased capabilities of the material handler. It is NOT a good choice if you are going to have other people operating it. Too many things to break or get abused. As a trimming truck the material handler gets in the way and I don't like the way the lines come out under the end of the boom. The lower boom doesn't break over center as far as most tree trucks and the upper boom is shorter, so you can't reach down below 10' off the ground unless you're right next to the truck (or flipped over upside down and 40' away from the truck). The truck and boom are also much heavier than most, my truck is over 28K lbs plus my gear.

I love mine. It has some limitations since it is designed as a line truck and not a tree truck, but for me that is outweighed by the increased capabilities of the material handler. It is NOT a good choice if you are going to have other people operating it. Too many things to break or get abused. As a trimming truck the material handler gets in the way and I don't like the way the lines come out under the end of the boom. The lower boom doesn't break over center as far as most tree trucks and the upper boom is shorter, so you can't reach down below 10' off the ground unless you're right next to the truck (or flipped over upside down and 40' away from the truck). The truck and boom are also much heavier than most, my truck is over 28K lbs plus my gear.
I did a search on that boom on arborist site and seen pics of your truck. I am taking the utility boxes off and building a flat bed. Does your bucket swivel around to the end of the boom?

Im buying it from I-80 trucks in Ill. Its a 01 c8500 with a cat 3126 and 60k miles. They are taking the utility bed off and fabing a flatbed with a full over the cab headache rack. It will be like a new truck when they are done. Im leaving in the morning to go out and discuss how I want the tool boxes set up and look at the truck. They really go through their trucks it will be about three weeks before its done. The salesman Jordan is vary helpfull and knows his trucks. They are taking pics of the process along the way. I will post them as I get them.

The thread I was reading was a few years old. I think it was you, I think the bucket had a pic of rocky on it.
Yup, that was my old truck.
My apologies for being a bit short earlier, I thought you might have been somebody else with a remarkably similar user name. He always had a black cloud hanging over him and tended to spread doom and despair everywhere he went.

Best of luck with your purchase. My truck has been great, although there has been a lot of maintenance and repairs along the way. Mine is identical to the one you bought so don't hesitate to post up any questions or problems and I'll try to help the best I can. I assume you have the Allison MD3060, get it serviced and fluid changed if the dealer hasn't done it already. Find a good hydraulic guy and a source for fittings. The low pressure plastic lines running up through the boom to the bucket can be repaired with compression couplers you can buy at Lowe's in the plumbing department (Home Depot doesn't stock that size). I have extras on the truck, can give you the part number later.

I'm curious how they are going to build the flatbed around the boom. It was something I asked about earlier on in this thread.

The boxes are integral to the bed, they will have to torch off everything and start from the frame. The boom is on its own subframe.

While they have it apart, make sure they check the welds on the subframe to the front outriggers. Mine has some cracks on both sides caused by the way it was assembled at the plant. My Altec guru guy pointed it out to me while he was inspecting my rig. If you have it apart they can reweld those spots easily.

Back