Rear Mount Bucket ?

You might like slow now, but if you ever spent some time in a conventional, speedier lift, I bet you a nickle you'd be singing a different tune!

And no herky jerky unless it's the operator doing it! :rockon:

Last edited:
Brendon,
The material handler buckets I've seen have fallen into two categories. The 50'-60' have utility bodies like mine and the 75'-90' have flat beds or utility bodies. If it has an elevator then it probably won't have a material handler (although I've seen a couple with). For tree work an elevator type boom will be much more functional because you can get the height without being hindered with raising the extra long boom. I think my next truck will have an elevator, although if I do that then I will need to invest in some Alturna Mats as well as figuring out where to stow them on the truck. I'll definitely be rolling heavy.

Here's some tall rear mount flat bed bucket trucks.
http://www.nueco.com/en/trucks/75-a-up-bucket-trucks

Now being a per se, a "bucket virgin" that only recently popped his "aerial working platform" cherry... I would wonder, if most buckets or platforms are as herky jerky on rotation as was that S85 I just ran. Thing was not a speed demon for certain, but I would not have liked any more speed on the sideways motion of the bucket during boom rotation. It would about toss you out.. Not trying to derail, just asking. And when you guys lean towards liking a certain machine, is it also for the smoothness of operation as well as the speed?

Stephen,
Most rental units use electrical switches to control your functions. They are durable but in practice they are either on or off, there's no 'feathering' of the controls to keep the bucket moving smoothly. Larger units usually have live hydraulics, the pump runs full time and pressure is always available with the controls opening the desired valves in order to move. This type can easily be 'feathered' and it doesn't take much practice to get very smooth.

Ahhhhh.... This did feel on and off... even when you tried to feather the control.. That explains it. It did smooth out when I was pushing out further with the boom... closer to 75 foot... It seemed to also have a delay when you pushed control levers..... like you had to wait for a couple seconds before it would actually start moving.. Not like an S85 is made for tree work, but it was fun to play in.

Stephen,
Most rental units use electrical switches to control your functions. They are durable but in practice they are either on or off, there's no 'feathering' of the controls to keep the bucket moving smoothly. Larger units usually have live hydraulics, the pump runs full time and pressure is always available with the controls opening the desired valves in order to move. This type can easily be 'feathered' and it doesn't take much practice to get very smooth.

:thumbup:

It can also make a difference how well maintained the controls are to the hydraulics. All the little switches/valves under the handle can get worn/dirty/gummed up and act like they are either on or off, which makes for a rather exciting ride sometimes.

Stopping in quick.

Looking for links of places I can look for a rear mount bucket truck. Not really interested in the quick paint job and flip it places. Preferably Ford.

Leaning towards a Aerial Lift of CT as I know a few people who worked there and good people to service it.

Maybe some one knows someone or some place.

Thanks,

B

FYI, Aerial Lift of Conn. is out of business. All their service is now being done by Altec, who bought them. I wouldn't expect good service if our experience is any indicator. the Altec guys just don't know the ALC units very well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is a nice one, I've seen it on there before. Although traveling across the country just to look at a truck is not feasible. Unless one of ya'll can go look at it if your close enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm really liking this truck, I'm hoping it will still be available late winter/spring.

Attachments

• 0_0_0_0_252_188_csupload_35775621_large.png
    0_0_0_0_252_188_csupload_35775621_large.png
    825.2 KB · Views: 55
That looks like a go-getter!!

You know Maranuk trucks from, e.g., Tree Trader mag? I stopped by there last wknd when I was passing by in PA. They have a pretty huge stock of Altec and Terex elevators in very nice cleaned up condition and turn key ready. I met Ed the owner (still working on the phone @8:30 on a Sat PM), very nice guy, been in the biz for a long time, very busy, sells 200 trucks a year. I would definetly consider them if I was shopping for a used bucket.

Back