Premium gas

Try a speed shop for Sunoco 260. I can not see what her problem would be. Unless she thought you were using it on the street. Not paying the road use tax.

Being that avgas is a shitload more expensive... that wouldn't make sense.

Stephen, there are no regulations against it. In fact, most ultralights use 2-stroke motors. Just tell her it's for a Part 103 ultralight.

Avgas is much more expensive. But the taxes go to a completely different entity. I do not remember the names of the the acts. But one reason we have a well developed general aviation sector. Is that the tax revenue generated by the sale of avgas is protected from the government, and can't be stolen to fund anything other than airport or airway development.

She knows me.. and knows I don't have anything like that.. That is the problem. And who ever initiated the policy there. Why I will go in Wed and talk to the boss :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wouldn't av gas burn cleaner in a chainsaw, not so much of those funky additives?

I've heard avgas HAS additives, only different and harmful to two stroke injuns. Can't cite where, however. I coulda been dreaming...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Since reading that premium has better additives than regular, I thought that avgas might have even better. Better may not be for two stroke.

You have to remember that California is a nanny state .They have more rules and regulations than Carter has little pills .Regulations in fact that don't exist any other place but California .

We on the outside looking in might find them silly but the residents within the state have to deal with them every day .Like it or not !

It has done some good for the environment, much as I hate regs. If California hadn't started the pollution controls on autos we would probably still have the vent tubes spewing blow-by gases into the atmosphere.

Well yes ,that has a lot of merit to it .The California coast by it's very nature presents problems the rest of the country doesn't have to deal with .

As I said... two-stroke ultralights burn avgas mixed with oil, so I still don't see her "policy" issue. Avgas has almost no additives other than the blue tint and TEL.

The reasons they mix it with avgas instead of pump gas are simple; no alcohol, more stable, and the fuel is much cleaner.

Ultralights Ha .Slight derail .

In 1980 I was digging a pond where I used to live with an old Cat D4 .Every evening about 7 PM an ultralight came buzzing around .Circled a few times ,the guy waved and was gone .

All the sudden no more baby airplane .About a week later ,different little aircraft,same guy with a cast on one arm . Ooops !

I may be wrong here but I thought avgas had some additive to reduce vapor pressure. so it would not evaporate so easily at altitude.

Correct; which is why I said "almost" no additives. Automotive fuel has the same boiling-point reduction additive in warm climates, or in the summer for us.

Just asking for the guys that think it might be bad for the saw. It is pretty much like racing fuel in cars. As long as there is not a catalytic converter, they run great no issues.

OK, guys...Uncle Sam doesn't allow me to purchase any fuel other than regular...it's considered an unnecessary expense, not required by automotive manufacturers. So if I wanted to purchase premium for my saws, or ATVs, or snowmobiles, I have to go through hoops only a saint could endure.

So I've run nothing but 87 octane fuel in my chainsaws since forever. And we have 10% ethenol here.

Zero problems, none, nada.

Y'all do run saws many more hours per month than I do, but my saws might sit with fuel in them for weeks at a time between being run, and my dolmar might have mix in it for several months before being refilled. I think my fuel usage must be worse for saws than most folks...but I have no problems, in many years of this sort of mistreatment.

I draw no conclusion, only pass this along for consideration.

Good point.
I am more concerned about the new 15% that is coming. The 10% runs ok and I have had less issues just using Stihl synthetic mix in 89 octane. Our 87 up here sux. You also can only stick with one station up here for fuel. Only the Texaco is left, Chevron closed. I have also taken on more my own tuning and repairs. Less hands in the pot seems to help prevent issues. This of course would include crews.

I never paid much attention until a few years ago of what went in the saws .Then due to the fact I had several with higher compression because of being modified I felt compelled to use hi-test .At like a dime a gal. more and no more than I use it's not a big deal .

It's kind of hard to believe though that it costs as much to fill that 2 gal jug as used to to fill my car .That kinda sucks .

Vapor lock can be an issue here in the summer time. Premium gas tends not to vapor lock the small motors like the cheapest convenience store regular. Around here if you leave a saw or gas can in the full sun in August it will boil the gas and be too hot to touch within an hour.

it will boil the gas and be too hot to touch within an hour.

Just a slight derail but's it's comical .Those damned old blue Homelites would boil the gas in dead of winter because of the tank placement .They had a duck bill check in the fuel cap which usually didn't work .The damned things would heat up and squirt gas straight up in the air all over you .Lovely !

Ran into the Stihl Tech at WalMart the other day. He was talking about the spring carb rebuild rush ramping up and the horrible storage qualities of current local pump gas.....he said that for the last few years they have used nothing but AVgas at the shop....(which deals not only Stihl but also 2 or 3 brands of mowers and tractors. They love the 2 year storage life of the AVgas since all the products fire right up for demos.

Back