Official animal thread!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yah....not much to do. I'll hear what the vet says tomorrow but at 9 I'm thinking its conformation caused more than anything else. And if so it'll only get worse and more painful for him. Horses are tough and generally not big complainers so its hard to tell when or how much they may be suffering.

Young Gunner is getting bigger and this is Tuck... His owners had to let him go so we have him now. Neighbour lady has cancer.
The gal in the middle ya'll should know by now as my Katy...

Horse kids.jpg

Nice. Is the new one rideable?

I returned my new horse finally this last weekend and got all my money back.

He's only 6 months, not rideable yet. Katy has been working with him. We really needed his mommy gone so that he takes to the training bettter. SHe just went home two days ago.

Horses seem to have their own unique smell. Wonder where that comes from?

Alfalfa.
My mom has horses and I use to work at a stable when I was in High School taking care of fifty or so, mostly show horses. I love baby horses so cute and spunky. It is quite something when you can imprint on them at such a young age just after weening.

He's only 6 months, not rideable yet. Katy has been working with him. We really needed his mommy gone so that he takes to the training bettter. SHe just went home two days ago.

Ha somehow I missed that. Yah it'll be a lot of work until anyone rides.

My wife's horse got in some trouble yesterday. Tore his rear hip open on a bolt end. Ripped up some muscle pretty good. Layers of stitches. Wife didn't ask the vet how many but the wound is about a foot long.

Ha somehow I missed that. Yah it'll be a lot of work until anyone rides.

My wife's horse got in some trouble yesterday. Tore his rear hip open on a bolt end. Ripped up some muscle pretty good. Layers of stitches. Wife didn't ask the vet how many but the wound is about a foot long.

Damn Justin... Sorry to hear that... Horses do seem to be always getting hurt. We spent a lot of time "child proofing" the main pasture. But, there is always something. I had one customer have me trim her trees (about 50) and remove any sharp stubs as one of her horses got hurt and hurt her as well rubbing one. Pinned her up against the tree.
I won't have hot bloods... Not if I can help it lol... Quarter horses and mustangs for me.... More sense and stay out of trouble better.
Tuck has been around for a while and is pretty calm in nature. Just been a while since he was saddle rode. It will take a little time to break him of some of the spoiling of his original owner. But since he is good natured, should not take long. Kids can already mount him bare back.
Gunner will be a work in progress. He is de--sensitising well. Calming down...

Never too late Virginia. Having horses this soon is off my game plan. I was going to wait until closer to retirement so I had more time to spend with A horse. Dog was in my plans as well. Not fair to the animal if I can't dedicate some quality and quantity of time. But, kids are growing... Good that they will get the experience. I would imagine having horses on an island is an expensive venture. Limited land, high feed prices etc.
We are almost $20.00 a bale for alfalfa local and have to drive about an hour to get it for $13.00. Some friends up here will split a squeeze with us from time to time.
Next big purchase for the horses will be a saddle for Tuck.... And some more fencing for pasture. Our 12 acres is not all fenced yet and it would be good to help off set the feed. Fence is pricey though.. we just do a little at a time.

A groundie was telling me about a friend of his who shot his horse up with penicillin and the horse dropped dead from an allergic reaction. Wow.

My old neighbor burned down his barn and killed his poor horse and dog. I went in there and pulled the numbskull out and saved his life. He had a gas heater going around hay. Then I tried to take his car keys from him to move his dumb car which was going to probably explode. His keys were in his hand and when i went to take them, he clutched his hand tight, like I was maybe going to steal his car after keeping him from burning up. To say that the man was a total idiot for years is an understatement. Never said a thanks to me for my deed of heroism, or foolery, whichever it was. He is dead now from different causes and I am glad. He won't be trying to borrow money from the neighbors any longer, which he would never pay back, or stealing heating oil from people's tanks.

We people are a different sort. I see this every day. Good on you Jay for helping the poor bastard out.

Thanks, Bud. One thing about the guy, he did love horses. He would buy over the hill race horses and keep them. Sometimes I would see him out there washing them up, some very nice looking animals. He had a little corral out there and sometimes he would let one of his girlfriends jaunt around. It wasn't unusual for one to get tossed. Sometimes in the middle of the night I might get woken up by clop clop clop, one of his horses had got out and was running down the street. Roll over and go back to sleep, and then a topic of family conversation in the morning.

Back