O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

So far I'm digging it. I need to polish it up and tighten a belt, but other wise it's in great shape. Power wise it's comparable to my RG85, I think, it's hard to tell. The remote control is awesome, I'm really looking forward to that. I'm anxious to see the customer's reaction to turf damage, I'm hoping it won't be a big deal. In sensitive areas with hard turns, a 4x4 mat will work to spin on .

I'm looking forward to grinding in shorts and sandals from the shade/truck!

Turf damage isn't that bad. I've spent a little over a month probably working with a crew that had one. As long as you take it easy and turn gentle and wide it's actually very easy on the turf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ergonomics of the remote are terrible. A Nintendo controller from 20 years ago fits in your hands better. It drives me nuts. Other than that the machine rocks and makes stump grinding almost enjoyable. Yours has the duetz right Carl?

Bad ergonomics suck. So hard to use and who engineers this stuff anyway?

FJR and RD, you've used the machine for awhile, hows the power? And how is the chip capacity of the machine on huge stumps? And where do you stand so you don't get beaned? If you stand far away, how do you grind around big embedded rocks?

Yeah, mine is a Deutz. The controls could be better, but it's not horrible. For actual grinding you need the top right and bottom corners.

Chip capacity isn't great, neither is down travel, but both can be worked around. No rock down here to work around.

The controls work fine, I just don't understand why the remote needs to be a big box. Power is good. We have been using it just about every day. Like Carl said, the chip capacity isn't that great. As you progress forward you tend to go upwards quick on large stumps and lose your depth. Not a real big deal to work around though.

Yeah, mine is a Deutz. The controls could be better, but it's not horrible.
Deautz are bulletproof, ime. Can you feather the controls or are they "on or off"?

Chip capacity isn't great, neither is down travel, but both can be worked around.
How do you deal with chip capacity, paddle or doze chips out of the way or just grind thru them?

No rock down here to work around.
Omg you are lucky.

Like Carl said, the chip capacity isn't that great. As you progress forward you tend to go upwards quick on large stumps and lose your depth. Not a real big deal to work around though.
Whats your approach to dealing with chips on a big stump? Hows the Carlton quality? I had a 35hp model a few years back and it wasn't a very good machine, it wore out quick.

Turf damage isn't that bad. I've spent a little over a month probably working with a crew that had one. As long as you take it easy and turn gentle and wide it's actually very easy on the turf.

Fjr, how would you rate it on turf issues? With those tracks, I would assume that once you get it to the stump it must be very stable and able to climb some rough/steep terrain.

I have the wheeled version with 4wd. Mostly flat urban area here. The tracked versions are really nice though. Taking the duel wheels off to shrink down to 35'' wide is a pain in the ass. I think that Carlton is built strong, we still have our older 2400 Carlton with a 27hp Kohler.

To deal with chip capacity we will back the grinder away and either take a scoop of chips with the 540 or just fork the chips out of the way. Probably only have to do that with 30" diameter and larger stumps.

Thanks for the info, FJR. I have an RG 50 which is awesome for chasing roots doing small to medium stumps. And a Vermeer 75 hp tow behind which is a monster on large stumps but a nightmare to chase roots with. So I was thinking a high hp self propelled machine that could chase roots as well as quickly nuke large stumps would be nice, if there is such a creature. The nice thing about the tow behind is that the chip capacity is real good cuz it is higher off the ground, though it too will get filled up by large stumps.

Carl, what did you pay for the 200 hr used machine, if you don't mind my asking? Why were they selling it?

I have the wheeled version with 4wd. Mostly flat urban area here. The tracked versions are really nice though. Taking the duel wheels off to shrink down to 35'' wide is a pain in the ass. I think that Carlton is built strong, we still have our older 2400 Carlton with a 27hp Kohler.

To deal with chip capacity we will back the grinder away and either take a scoop of chips with the 540 or just fork the chips out of the way. Probably only have to do that with 30" diameter and larger stumps.
I have been found placing a 2x6 under the inner tire jacks up the the outer tire for easier removal at least on my Vermeer.

So we have gone wireless, too.
3 Sena helmets landed here while I was in Schweiz.
They are charging as I write this.
Can't wait to try them out.
Thanks for fast service, Paul:)

Traded in the chipper today. It was a 2012 m15r with almost 1000 hours. uploadfromtaptalk1400080498374.jpg

The new machine is an m18r with 1 hour. Almost 12,000 lbs, 2,000 pounds heavier than the old one.
uploadfromtaptalk1400080610353.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1400080625783.jpg

I love big tow behinds. Wow. Is that your only chipper? With me new one I fear about turf damage. Your sucker is heavy! Good luck with it. Let's see it eating wood sometime!

Holy cow that's a big sucker! Curious, why not go the double axle route when you've got such a heavy machine? Most of the guys I know with tow behinds as large as that prefer the dual axle, as they say it spreads the weight out more and it's easier to maneuver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back