O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Different kind of gear, this.
But I didn't know where else to put it.
I traded some very fine elm burl to a knifemaker and had him make these two damascus steel knives.
Small one is mine, the big chopper is a gift for Richard.

The handles are Sneezewood that Richard brought up from South Africa, silver and ebony.

P1010686.JPG

Made by the same guy that made your's, Willie.

They do cost a fortune, but I traded some elm burl for them.
Apparently it is getting real hard to find, so prices have gone way up.
The knifebuilder sells it in Britain ( He is Scottish!) and get $30 for a 8"x1½"x 1374" block of the finest grade.

Being a long time burl chipmunk is becoming quite profitable for me.

When all the elms died 15 years ago, I stockpiled all the burl I could get my hands on, ended up having over 10 tons.

I still have maybe 5 tons put aside, even though I've sold some $ 10,000 worth over the last 5 years:D

More fun trading it for something like this, though.

I'm in the process of building something very similar, but it won't be stainless. I see several things I don't like about his design. And the price is about 4 times what it's worth...all but the shipping.:D

I thought the build looked a bit subpar based on the detail pics, and the price seemed high to me. Isn't that 5" pipe accounted for already though Scott? :)

Overall that just didnt look like a nice bollard. I am sure yours will be nicer Scott.

I thought the build looked a bit subpar based on the detail pics, and the price seemed high to me. Isn't that 5" pipe accounted for already though Scott? :)

Overall that just didnt look like a nice bollard. I am sure yours will be nicer Scott.

I've got just enough for both, Nick. ;)

Looks pretty good, but seems complicated. I'm hoping to have a little more free time next week, so I might actually make some progress.

Not necessarily work related. Two things I paid for, one that I didn't, thanks ITW Nexus for the samples! :D

Attachments

• IMAG2783.jpg
    IMAG2783.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 13
  • Zebco 11.jpg
    Zebco 11.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 13
  • ITW Nexus samples.jpg
    ITW Nexus samples.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 16

He's referring to the interesting title of the device on eBay....STAINLESS ARBORIST TREE LOWERING DEVICE STHIL CHAINSAW 2" STRAPS MILWAUKEE BAG. It is rather confusing, as there does not appear to be a Stihl included in the auction. My guess is he included it in the title to expose it to more search responses.

That too, Willie. I just wonder why he didn't include Hussky, Powlan, McCullough, Pieneer, or any other misspelled or otherwise chainsaw in the title. Shucks, he coulda added Cresent rench whilst he was titling...:lol:

I was fixing this 460 for someone, MINT condition, but something happened with the bearing cage. He decided to sell it a he needed the money, and didn't need the saw, so I picked it up. Big dogs, side cover, full wrap (put it on another saw), 28" bar, 25" bar. Came from the west coast.

Got the $10 worth of parts today and got it going. Nice saw.

Attachments

• DSC00542.jpg
    DSC00542.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 8
Back