Not good...

Once again you can kick that can down the toad until you wear it out .But when all is said and done you'll never outdo mother nature .Mother always wins .

Willie, that flyover vid is heartbreaking. Any idea how those folks in the burned out neighborhoods will respond? We've never seen that kind of destruction here. If a house burns here, they frequently pull in a trailer or RV to live in until they rebuild. Now way entire neighborhoods could do that I wouldn't think.

Yeah Virginia, lots of support for stuff, those with insurance will have homes again, those without, no idea what they'll do. I think rentals will fill fast, our governor isn't allowing evictions till at least the end of the year I think. Hotels are full, much of those 2 towns are still under evacuation orders and cannot get to the homes remaining due to no power, water and gas in many neighborhoods yet. Mountains of donations though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
More improvement in our situation...the evacuation zone boundaries have been moved some, lessening the mandatory evac. areas. Our place is still in the Red, but the Yellow is only about a mile away to the north (fire to the south). Previously, it was more than 6 air miles to the Yellow.

Still can't move back home, but it's encouraging news.

Can't come soon enough, that's for sure. We'll have to keep a close eye even then, at least until the fall/winter rains come in for good. Assuming they do like normal :).

Good to hear from you Willie. We are getting a lot of the haze here in Central Illinois. It was a lot thicker today than yesterday. Too bad you folks can't turn that hurricane a little and get a few inches of rain up that way.

They originally said 600 homes, I scoffed figuring they were short by half, they ate actually around 25% of the total

I'm afraid they are going to find more dead from these fires, in all three states. Not to say there not fires in other states. Just these have been bad.
Over 20 dead thus far I read. 2,357 structures from one fire alone. Last count here at the Creek Fire, 632 structures lost, 52 damaged. More populated and more structures in the Oregon fire.
I see our CA death count at the Camp fire is 86. Crazy

Same issue here. Many missing. Have to assume some are just unaccounted for in the melee of evacuation, but a percentage have to be deceased. I don't think the officials have an estimate of total deaths yet.

No change in our status as of this morning.

Last edited:
Good news here. Our home moved from red to yellow zone about 1:30 this afternoon. We are home now, all is good with the house and property. We still have to be in Set to go mode, so the truck and car are still packed, with the exception of our luggage that we took to our friend's place and that now we'll treat to wash/dry and then repack :).

What a relief...we both are riding a high :). The friends who took us in could not have been more welcoming and we were comfortable there. But home is good.

Some rain forecast in the next few days. That's good for the fire activity level. We're going to have to be staying on top of the evacuation levels and the fire activity forecasts. The reality is, we live less that 3 air miles from a 136,000 acre wildfire that is only 3% contained as of this morning.

Thanks for being so supportive during all this. It's been wonderful to have family and friends do that...and my friends here in the TreeHouse are very special to me. It helped me find calm during all the stress and uncertainty.

Last edited:
Back