Need some help with... where's the beef!

USA Boxing

Treehouser
"Now I may not be your traditional logger... but not even the guys that felled the Mark Twain tree in the 1890's have rigged or worked the heights that a ole mason like this ole 'swing stage' guy has worked.

The link in my profile will go to pictures posted of some of the trees I have taken down and stored for our use... at the USA Boxing Proud Trade Center in McHenry.
All logs are for that Program... not many actually teach our youth anything of real value, skills that pay the bills. I am looking to change that.

Here is my problem....
In my search for larger Western Cedar seems many have sites that show piles of logs, but...
when contacted for a load to the Midwest, seems the largest diameter anyone is offering is about 16 at the base. Few even answer with a 2000+ mile trucking haul.
We need a min of 22 'top' inches to about anything at the base.
What I need is some idea of where to source Western Red Cedar that has a minimum diameter of 22 inches... up to near anything at its base.

Truth is early on in the 70's and 80's when I needed masonry restoration rigging and vendor info I looked to the ole Lithuanians and Bohemians that were in the trades.
Now with a new beast to slay...
I am looking to you men, the loggers that do the work in hope that some may have info on the places that I could buy from, that may have log stock in the sizes we require."

Men...for some more info on me and my direction just check out my 'profile,' take a look at the 'Shutterfly pic link' to see some of our 'Trade Center' preparations...
OK guys...
Where's The Beef!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What'cha doing with the logs?
Delavan... Hmm, took some of my larger Black Walnut from just south of there.

I will be cutting cants and milling some of what we have soon. I have chainsaws from the smaller 'Rancher' to the 395xp, and another even bigger, a 105cc unit that I put a 56 inch bar onto. I can slab about anything I can get my hands on for them.
My wanting Western Red Cedar is because some around here get the ole cedar utility poles... they having a smaller diameter can only produce limited items. So as I look for the best supplies for our USA Boxing athletes I just want better than what others are using... I want to give them the best in materials and equipment that I can.
I believe the trucking east will be more than the load...lol, but I want the best for them, I am also the USA Boxing athlete representative for our Illinois LBC.

All logs will be used as the athletes in our Academy LC Leadership programs, I have about a hundred project outlines for them to give some thought to and allow.. I actually hope they themselves take the info and develop their own thoughts as to the possibilities.
USA Boxing athletes in training will be allowed use of all we have here on site, 24 inch spiral planer, epoxy resins-colors, sawmill and more.

All will be allowed use of everything onsite and will earn money to travel to different state competitions, keep current with their gym dues or whatever they choose. The LC will supply everything and use our 501(c) (3) status to sell without any fees on EBay and other sites that do not charge non profits.

I call it the '60% of the Gate Program.' With luck, I can keep the lights on with just the 40%...lol

Right on. There is a good amount of black walnut around here. Some really huge ones around Lake Geneva.

Here in northern Cali Port Orford Cedar ranks at the top. Incense cedar is a weed by comparison. Red cedar? There's not enough in this region to make a comparison.

Bid high enough you'll find a source.

Here in northern Cali Port Orford Cedar ranks at the top. Incense cedar is a weed by comparison. Red cedar? There's not enough in this region to make a comparison.

Bid high enough you'll find a source.
Truth is, I am looking for direction and ideas... willing to consider mixed loads of any Cedar with top end 22 min... possibly 20.

Have some understand of the 'board ft' numbers by condition, diameter, length.
Here's some of what I'm working with....
Some buying sheets I have put cedar - 'tops at 14'' of a 10 to 24ft log at $14.00 a ft. The footage and small premium seem to begin at 15 inch tops with what I have been able to study up on as I've been dropping some myself.
Looking for any mix of Cedar, for the athletes programs just seems a good thing to add.... and it gets an ole guy doing the math with those volume calcs on the over 15 inch logs that are not all 22 and up, that I may be part of a load.

Doing the masonry restorations estimates for decades as a mason... with some luck may give me a chance with these bids.
With some help here, to find where a good mix of cedar may be offered for bid/sale, is but the first step.
Any info helps

None of this makes sense.
Simply put...
I am asking the men that climb, no matter if they cut for themselves or a employer, who they would go to for 10 to 24 ft logs with a min of a 22inch top.

Looking for a mix of cedar to be used in a athlete trade program in Illinois.

I didn't study the site, but what I /think/ is going on is the organization provides materials that can be used to craft stuff, and the members make things and sell them as a source of income, either to support traveling for matches, or whatever; to free financial constraints from participating in boxing.

That is how I read it, too. I had to go to their site to get that understanding. They provide boxing training on 3 levels...for fitness, for competition and the 3rd level is "invitation only" where folks that have done steps 1 or 2 may be invited to move to level 3 where they can also learn a trade (crafting wood, for example). I think that level is what he needs the wood for. The pictures associated with their site show shop eqpt., nice shop, lots going on in addition to a training gym. It looks like a pretty involved setup...with levels of goings-on that I don't plan to study more.

I definitely don't know where to get red cedar. Jerry gave some good info, seems to me.

There are a couple more
I am not really understanding it either.
Again it is really quite simple.... once you get through an Ole Guys long winded post.
I am looking to source logs for delivery to the Midwest, cedar is what I am looking for. Those green words below, links to some of what I speak to.

The Academy LC site is just some info on the Ole Guy, think of it as a retired guys 'day job(s)'....
My day jobs are....
USA Boxing Illinois LBC #21 athlete rep, USA Boxing Coach, Gym owner-The Academy LC on Riverside Dr., Director of The Academy Media Group a 501 (c) (3) that sponsors another gym in McHenry, named The Academy on HiPoint Rd.

I am from the Chicagoland area and can remember a time when employers actually trained people... when apprenticeships in all trades were offered. I want to recreate some of that here in McHenry for our athletes in USA Boxing.
Just think of it as 'skills to pay the bills'.
In some of my Trade Programs here at the Academy LC...
I have let athletes do the car lift and mechanical repairs here at the LC, have one 'class' that has learned to source and refurbish different electronics, they ...repair the board and rebuild game units and sell under the name of TeamFutureMA on EBay while over the last couple of years I have been felling trees and purchasing all they need to produce whatever they want, sawmill, spiral planer, computer router tables and more, to prepare for this 'arborist - woodworking' Athlete Program. Some of what I have taken were over 70 or 80 feet with base diameters of about 48 inches.

As a swing stage mason that restored buildings in Chicago I have taken some employees over 30 stories over the 4 decades I worked the city and was lucky enough to have never hurt of killed anyone. Over the last 2 years some of those same 'rigging skills' have been used in felling trees and again I managed to keep everyone safe and got them home in one piece.

Now if one takes the time to click through on the 'of about 48 inches' link above, you will see I have a fair selection of logs that are growing in my area...red and white oak, black walnut and more.
I need help now with sourcing another log type that is not common in the Midwest, cedar.
I know something of the 'volume math.'
I am willing to sweeten the pot for a quality load of straight mixed cedar with 22 inch tops.
There is roughly 140 board ft. per each 8 ft log with a 22 inch top.... I hope for 24 ft logs to make my math easy...lol
That means that... what some of the sawmills offer, is about $85.00 a log ft.

I will offer for a good load... 30 to 50% over that!
To someone that can commit to 6 loads brought east a year of quality material that I request.

So...you are the men that do the work, I am looking for info on a few honest quality suppliers to begin this 'bid' process with.
My hope is to give the athletes cedar log stock, along with the other logs that I have already dropped.

So... any ideas on suppliers?

I was also confused. Why such large pieces? I was not familiar with the term “River Table.” Now I have looked that up and I understand. These River Tables are captivating! Live Edge River Tables - Epoxy Resin — Stockton Heritage - https://www.stocktonheritage.com/shop/live-edge-river-table-epoxy-resin-dining-table-maple
Those tables are something... as to the hope of longer logs, two things.
It just seemed better for the hauler to secure longer 24 ft units that a load of 10 footers...and
Crazy ole guy that I am, from 24 footers.... not only would I let athletes use the material bringing their ideas to life,
I just may have them work with me to create a Cedar or Douglas fir boxing ring. Though I like the cedar idea.
Cedar log stock for the 4 corner posts, saving the arched cutoffs from creating the 'cants' to dress up the perimeter where the ring canvas ties down, then cutting crossmembers and planks to support ring floor and mats.

Imagine a one of a kind... all wood Boxing Ring along with those river tables and other athlete projects.

So yes a mix of cedar even with some Fir with 22 inch 'tops' just may work for programs and a one of a kind... boxing ring.

You might try checking with logging companies.

Holbrook, Inc, in downtown Olympia, WA at the Port of Olympia is a log broker/ buyer-seller.
They might have (taking a wild, wild guess) 50-100,000 logs up to 40', aside from utility pole specialty logs, at the Port. Crazy massive piles. Loaded log trucks pulling in all day.

You might try checking with logging companies.

Holbrook, Inc, in downtown Olympia, WA at the Port of Olympia is a log broker/ buyer-seller.
They might have (taking a wild, wild guess) 50-100,000 logs up to 40', aside from utility pole specialty logs, at the Port. Crazy massive piles. Loaded log trucks pulling in all day.

Thanks... I will contact them next week.
Searching logging seemed easy and was my first thought also...
My searching 'logging' from the Midwest seems like all that I contacted over the last few weeks had great pictures of log piles, but are really a sort of land management company 'thinning' others land. Then off to do the sawmill drop for the land owners split. Guess they buy into the Google keyword thing.
Two of those I contacted gave me the ... red cedar is like a weed and needs to be removed, basically trying for land management jobs paying little attention to my asking to buy.

So yes, any info on buyers that have real log piles...
the outfits that best service you men, is appreciated.

Eastern redcedar (juniper) is maybe a weed.

(2) 4x4x8' western redcedar (thuja) posts was listed at around $60.

Back