Summer boots with steel shank???

TINYHULK

Treehouser
Hey tree fam! So I have never owned a pair of boots with the steel shanks and I’m becoming so inclined to find a boot that is better for all day spur use. I currently own two pairs of boots. The arb pro neo, they are my daily wear boots, cool enough for our 100-110 degree summers and very comfortable/nice in the tree. No heel on them so spurs are annoying if I forget my red wing American made logger max boots. These are great with an 11in height. They were hard to break in but now I like them a lot. They are too hot for anything over 80 degrees and do mot have a steel shank. I have looked online at different lineman boots and have yet to find a pair that says “that’s exactly what I need! Perfect!”
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Our winters hit 25-40 on a regular and the summers are 100-110 with high humidity. It’s much easier to put better socks on and have a pair of boots that are better for the summer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wasn’t aware of some of those brands! Sorry for my ignorance but I’ve never had a pair of true leather grain boots like any of these. There are so many different options with each brand at different price points. Any specific recommendations from experience?

Do the 16in wesco’s create too much heat in the summer? Should I go with the 10in option?

They are hot but it will motivate you to get’er on the ground quicker and change out for some Crocks while the guys clean up.

Combat boots are 8". I never felt like I wanted anything higher or lower. That's doing any kind of work on ground or in a tree.

Just saw the wescos are 45 weeks out on production 🤣 well I’ll have them for next winter if I pick those lol. Any other summer recommended boots?

One problem that some folks have with the 16 inch height is the impingement on the movement of the calf muscle. That muscle has to have freedom to swell up and thin out as it works. For me, that meant the 16 inchers were not comfortable at all if I laced them tight enough to give some support, and were too sloppy to wear (and thus provided no value for the additional cost, to me) if left laced loosely.

The 10 inchers were the best in my book.

Wesco was my go to boot for decades. I tried a pair of Whites maybe 10 years before I retired. They were very good, but the Wesco factory built me a better fit than White did, and the Wesco's were better at keeping dry in this climate.

I find Arbpro evo2 to be fine in spikes. I have a heavy pair of scarpa mountain boots but usually only wear them in the snow anymore. I got away from loggers a few years ago and haven't looked back.

If you decide on Wesco, treat yourself to a pair of custom built ones.
I've used their lineman's boots for spur climbing and their logger caulk boots for , well, who'd have guessed, logging for decades.
All custom made.

Fit me like a glove.

Visiting the Wesco factory in Scappoose, OR is a real treat. Get your feet individually measured by a true craftsman. Pick out exactly what you want, from many options. Sell your first born to pay for it :D.

Test Fit!! Ever go to the gym and see the dudes with toothpick calves doing calf exercises while looking at the dudes with drumstick legs who try to pump up their thighs to outdo their calfs? :) grass is greener... but my point is that on big leather boots the upper is formed somewhat and you should match that to you, just like basic size and foot width, clearance for thick socks etc. If you've ever broken your ankle the fit is important as bones never heal back to their original shape there's usually a bulge. I've broken both my ankles and expensive boots are out for me because I need two different sizes! I encountered this issue with mx boots.

my 2 cents

If you cross your laces with a pass through, like a typical start to tying with the double-slipped square knot, you can isolate different tension at different heights. Might need two passes through.

i‘d like to try a pair of the hoffmans/meindl collab boot but not having a credit card kept me from ordering..

I may order a pair of wescos. I would like to find another boot option that is more readily available and good for our hot summers

Matt, I know you deal with a bit of heat during summer but sometimes we just need to suck it up if you know what I mean. I've spent a lot of time on fire line in 100 degree plus temps... the last thing I was thinking about was my feet, seriously.

Back