my SRT rig

• Thread starter Widow Shooter
  • Start date
  • Replies 95
  • Views 15K
Needs to be a long line too or you need a rope grab (that releases under pressure) above the porty so the groundie can patch in more rope when the access line is almost played out.

Or they could use a prussic cord to attach another line to the anchor line. Definitely want to spike it after the tension is off the tail rope.

My vote is for KMIII and I'll echo Blinky's comment of the rope being a high visibility color.

Gear weenie. I just about spit my coffee on my laptop on that one. ROFLMFAO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
:) hey, they sell it at treestuff, spliced up by Rich at ABR .

really, it is a multi-use thing-a-ma-bob ;) and it can even be carried on your saddle as light weight x-tra ring to ring F-saver ;)

but yeah, gear weenie, it's all good, I may be in my 40's but I like toys and am a kid still, how does it go? "you are only as young as the woman you feel?" or something like that ;)

I like that set up Widow Shooter. When the temps get better I'm going to give it a go. As I don't have the all the gear I'll be footlooking(I'm terrible at footlooking) and pushing up my homemade Secret Weapon with an ascender.

How important is the chest croll? I like to keep thing simple and I don't have one.

The Pantin is a must-have for those of us who cannot footlock. You have to be conscious of keeping your foot level (toes up) in order to keep it from pulling off the rope but it works wonderfully once you get the groove.

I'm looking for feedback on my frog walking setup. I've got three pictures. The main thing I'm questioning is the tether between the Croll and the CMI dual ascender. The mini biner on top of the Croll attaches the the "cross-chest" member of by Buckingham suspenders. The knot at the CMI is a butterfly. The other leg of that rope is a footloop and I have a Pantin on my right foot.

Thanks for the thoughts...

266304-IMAG0017.jpg

266305-IMAG0018.jpg

266306-IMAG0019.jpg

The first thing that springs to mind as I look at your SRT setup is that you don't have a very good backup for the handled ascender. If that thing were to disengage from the rope due to a branch sliding down the line and knocking the cam away from the rope, you would free fall until the Croll caught you. The shock load created by the short free fall might be enough to cause the Croll to chomp through your line and cause you to fall. If the connection from the saddle to the Croll was direct instead of indirect via the handled ascender, there would be no free fall and thus no possibility that the Croll would cut your rope.

I prefer to use a prusik above the handled ascender to back everything up, which also makes it easier to switch from ascending to descending while you are freely suspended. It would be tough to change directions in your system without having a branch to stand on.

I use a similar system, except I have the Sequoia SRT, so the Croll is integrated in the harness.
It is quite aesy to shift to a figure 8, without having to stand on anything.

Kick the Pantin off the rope and hang from the ascender, loosen the croll. This will make the rope hang loose enough to make setting the figure 8 easy, Clip into figure (, engage panting and take ½ a step up, this loosens the ascender. kick the pantin free and you're good to go down.

With a bit of practise it goes very smooth. I stuck my head up right next to a bees nest while practise climbing for our california trip, sure didn't take me long to get out of there.

That transition method would work great as long as the Croll is connected directly onto your chest harness. But in Kentucky Sawyer's pictures, the Croll is not connected directly to the chest harness, so you couldn't dangle from it the way you describe Stig.

I don't dangle from the croll.
I disengage that and hang from the double handled ascender.

I realize that I'm temporarily hanging from just one toothed ascender, but doing so while hanging still on a rope doesn't bother me.

But I agree that not having the Croll connected directly to the harness is not smart.

Oh, I get it now. Nevermind then. You are correct Stig - it would be no problem to do a freely suspended change of direction in this SRT setup.

That'll work.

The tether, the way you have it, is very clean looking, but the distances between your saddle attachment and your footloop length will not be very adjustable. Not a problem if they are the perfect length. The relationship between the length of the tethers affects the reach of your arms and your leg steps. You want nice even leg steps, you don't want one over reaching the other.

I'm not a real fan of the double handled ascenders. One, because they can come off the rope. I find a single handled ascender used with two hands better. One hand on the top of the ascender protecting the entry point of the rope. And secondly because most guys I see using them pull quite a bit. You shouldn't be pulling with your arms on a single rope climbing system. You want your legs to do the work. So a short upward reach with your arms, basically just moving the upper ascender, and maintaining body position is all you are doing with your upper body.

As long as the Croll is attached to your harness and the upper utility biner advances it consistently when it is attached to your suspenders, I can't see there being a concern about overloading the Croll.

Have you been using this setup? If so, how does it work for you? That's kind of the bottom line.

Dave

I have been using this setup and it does work fine. Its my second generation on the cordage portions. The length of the tethers are close but not 100% for efficient ascent.

Sean, the Croll is attached directly to my harness. The CT carabiner attaches to the ring on my bridge. As I ascend the Croll is pulled up consistently. I don't see much risk of shock to the system, but perhaps I'm missing something. As to the back up; thats what I thought the Croll was providing. Looks to me like its a redundant system already. No?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cory, got a pic of how you rig the SRT on your Treemotion?

If the upper ascender were to fail the croll would grab, it wouldn't slide down and shockload the system. The Croll is an adequate backup to the upper ascender.
I dont see how you would "freefall" as Sean mentioned. As long as its running upward staying taut on the line anyway.

Except the Croll has some pissant little breaking strength rating...well less than 10kN if memory serves.

I use one, too...fwiw. But I don't really trust it as well as I'd like.

Cory, got a pic of how you rig the SRT on your Treemotion?

Sorry, don't have a picture. I just clip the CT carabiner to my floating ring. The key biner goes to my Buckingham suspender to "drag" the Croll up as I ascend. Its not fancy and certainly not 100% efficient, but I can get it all off my harness and stashed in a little stuff sack easily once I get to the top.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I prefer to use a prusik above the handled ascender to back everything up, which also makes it easier to switch from ascending to descending while you are freely suspended. It would be tough to change directions in your system without having a branch to stand on.

I have never understood this and is one of my pet peeves cause I see it all over. Where did this come from?. whats the point of the ascender than? The only reason I can see to use an ascender is that it is much more efficient than a hitch and takes less effort to move. It is also much easier to take on and off the line. If your going to take away all that gain by having an ascender by then throwing another hitch above it makes no sense to me. Adds a lot o clutter. A hitch works just fine as an upper ascender on its own if you are worried about ascenders failing. If you need a handle it wouldnt be that hard to attach one to the hitch but you should be using only legs in a good SRT system

Back