Ms 361

I get tired watching poor Art limb that conifer. It sure is not a 6 point he's using. Is he wearing eye protection at least?
Willard:lol:

I have Soren Eriksson's video of it in VHS here by my computer.I used this video when I used to teach chainsaw use years ago. But don't ask me to post it here.:lol:
The 6 point limbing technique was a system developed in Scandinavia many years ago. In these countries logging with a chainsaw took a 2 year apprenticeship before a work license was issued.
The saws weight is kept entirely on the log as the limbs are cut in a #1 to 5 sequence. On the #6 th point limb cut the saw reachs behind the operater to cut the limbs underneath the log. Then the 6 point technique is started all over again with #1 limb on the right side.
When you see a well used 6 point limbing saw ,the paint is completely worn off from the sprocket cover, belly, front oil tank housing even parts of the rewind.
The rocking motion interia from the rpm of the saw is also used to save the operater's energy. Bars used are 14"-16"max.
Willard.

It seems like if someone was limbing eight hours a day everyday, in no time at all they would have their own system going.

What is wrong with Art's way? It looks ok to me, familiar really, keeping the revs up for a purpose. He's getting it done. I'm not keen on the guys who have to stand there and make a presentation at every limb. The majority seem to be that way, from my experience. When limbing with other people, I also don't so much appreciate the guys who limb with their feet close to or under the trunk.

What is wrong with Art's way? It looks ok to me, familiar really, keeping the revs up for a purpose. He's getting it done. I'm not keen on the guys who have to stand there and make a presentation at every limb. The majority seem to be that way, from my experience. When limbing with other people, I also don't so much appreciate the guys who limb with their feet close to or under the trunk.
When you see a 6 point technique you'll know what I'm talking about. I watched Art in the video in slow mo and he was cutting many of the limbs twice, weight of saw hanging from the arms, stabbing at a limb here and there.
You have to see the 6 point technique done to appreciate the speed, preciseness and ease of use . Seeing that saw roll over the trunk at a very fast pace cutting limbs flush with the top and bottom of the bar will blow you away.
Maybe you can view Stihl's video "Limbing Techniques For The Professional Cutter" by Soren Eriksson somewhere on the net. I don't have a clue how to put mine on You Tube or whatever.
Willard.

Thanks skwerl, I'll have to watch it tomorrow when I have time to figure out how to download it . The wife is yelling at me to come to bed.
Willard:lol:

At first I thought that was some one elses video:lol:

That has merit if your falling small stuff all day.

Some useful method there in the vid, I like the systematic aspect of it, but like Willie has pointed out, in most all the Pines and other conifers that we run into, the limbs can be long and under bind, and cutting to the meter and a half length or so that fits our requirements, often means stepping away from the trunk to cut and then going back. Adhering to the system shown in the video would require an ideal situation that usually isn't there until you get to the uppermost portion of the tree. Still, thinking about limbing in the most efficient and less tiresome way is a big plus. Speed is important, especially when doing crane removals in the street, and with a quick crew, the trees often just keep coming for the person(s) doing the limbing. Nice to get it cut and cleared out before there is that shadow moving in from above. I'm glad to have seen that, thanks.

It only takes practice to get good at it. In time binding no matter what size limb on a conifer is not a problem. Keep that saw sharp and on the trunk and get used to it.
Hardwood trees are a different binding situation, limbing hardwoods is another form of bucking.
Willard.

So what techniques is being used by the guys that limb race? I could see where I would take my leg off if I tried some chit like that........

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Ch8AUCLjrw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Ch8AUCLjrw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LC_HktN_3S8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LC_HktN_3S8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mTTd-TjK87M?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mTTd-TjK87M?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QeGWIWuazwQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QeGWIWuazwQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

You're the man Kevin. Thanks for posting those videos. These races are a form of the 6 point but without the bottom limbs. You'll also notice the saws aren't rested on the log.
Besides speed they are also judged for precision [ no stubs, no cuts into the log.]

Willard.

What's that 'lil dance they do (especially that last guy) before they start? Like they're shaving the side of the log or something.

I totally agree with Willard.
6 point is the way to go.
Those racers skip corners in the tecnique to gain extra speed, real 6 point limbing is not only about speed but about using the saw in the most ergonomically correct way.
You aim for a fluid tecnique, where all moves are done with as little force as possible, letting the saw rest on the log and do the work for you.Look at how relaxed Søren Eriksson is while working.
Old Art is fighting the tree instead of working with it.
I wish the video camera had been a common thing in my pulp cutting days, because I was a frigging master at 6 point limbing.

The logging apprenticeship is 3 years here in Denmark, Willard.
I have had a bunch of apprentices over the years. All of them are still in the busines, so I must have done something right:)

Thanks for the input stig.It looks like Soren was using a 034 slightly modded by Stihl I'm sure. Today a 346XP would be a good choice for that application.
In the video it seems to say that Soren Eriksson invented the 6 point technique, is that true?

Willard.

I've been in training sessions in the UK where the 6 point is being done...I watched a guy do it so fast one day I swear his saw was a blur!
I've been taught it...hardly ever get to use it...I remain in awe of the real pros!

I don't know who actually "invented " the tecnique, but it did originate in Sweden.

Magnus might know more, but he hasn't been around for a while.

I imagine its convergent evolution, standardization, and naming of the technique more than invention. With so many people working in the industry, I'll bet that many trains were moving along parellel tracks toward the same end point.

Kinda reminds me of a fencing movement with the legs.

Back