MS 460

Treeaddict

Treehouser
Anyone running one (or 3) of these. A saw shop I visited had a few for sale with 24” bars for $700. I’ve heard they are good saws. May deviate from Husky but kinda hate to do that. We’ll see.

They are a solid saw... maybe a bit dated at this point but work well up to a 32" bar and chain. If price is 700 used that seems a bit high (depending on condition)?

I thought it sounded high also. If I were giving it serious consideration, I'd see what he'd sell a 462 for. A web search says $1349 msrp with a 25" bar. He sells below msrp, and $1.1k would get me to go 462 every time. Over that? I'd have to weigh my options, and how much I really needed it.

460's are bit aged now. 461 has been out for several years and 462 has been out 2-3 I believe.

That being said they're good saws. Durable and torquey. 32 might be asking a bit much of the oiler.

If your a husky guy the 576 can be had pretty reasonably. They never had the cult following like the 372. Similar power and weight to the 460 but Cadillac smooth and better filtration. First gen auto tune has been great on mine.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
460's are bit aged now. 461 has been out for several years and 462 has be out 2-3 I believe.

That being said they're good saws. Durable and torquey. 32 might be asking a bit much of the oiler.

If you’re a husky guy the 576 can be had pretty reasonably. They never had the cult following like the 372. Similar power and weight to the 460 but Cadillac smooth and better filtration. First gen auto tune has been great on mine.
Yeah, the next saw on the list was supposed to be a 372 if available. Maybe the 576. Haven’t really looked too hard at this point though.

@Treeaddict

To consider buying a ms460,

First I would ask yourself if you like old school saws?

Second, how good are you at tuning a carb?

I have a bit of time behind 372xp/572xp and 460/500i saws.

The ms460 is going to have a lot of vibration compared to the 500i and 572xp.

The ms460 balances a 32” bar better than a 372xp imo. The 500i also balances a 32” well with the stiffer suspension.

My ms460’s rev higher than the 500i, and are easier to hot start. My 460/500i saws have similar power but different power curves.

The 500i has better throttle response and ergonomics.

Is it worth $700?
That’s entirely up to you.

If you’re not great at tuning there are several good options for auto tune saws, and you don’t have to spend $1500+ on one.

90A4773A-C64B-41A3-8B56-FC65D646C7B0.jpeg 32CACF83-8CE8-43A0-975F-C134C8CA7E4F.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good things to think about @BIGTWIG. Appreciate the insight.

Tuning is not a forte of mine. I suppose the newer saws are more what I gravitate towards. I’ll take the T435 over the 020AV top handle and only run the 020 to keep it in working order. I suppose I want to like the older saws but prefer the newer.

Maybe when I’m 65 years old I’ll prefer the “older” saws that I first used as opposed to the newer fancier models of the year 2045 ?

Anyone running one (or 3) of these. A saw shop I visited had a few for sale with 24” bars for $700. I’ve heard they are good saws. May deviate from Husky but kinda hate to do that. We’ll see.
They are great stand up solid saws. I've logged many hours on 046s, ms 469 and 461. 461 is my favorite of them. The 460 is nowhere near outdated, and a completely solid runner and still very capable l, in all realms today. Firewood, tree work, timber falling. Any of it. And they are super tough and reliable. I hardly ever had to wrench on any of mine. But I'd swap out that 24 inch bar for a 28 or 32. That's just me. If you are in need of a saw, or have the funds without worries. I'd grab it. I wouldn't steer away from husky I'd still do both. If money isn't a object then you could buy a new 572 instead.

I think the 460s are a lovely saw, and prefer it to the 461.

get it tuned right and enjoy it.

I shamed a friend bad with it.
He had a Walkerized J-red, one size bigger. It didn't cut it...
Few days later I get a call "Damnit Eddie, If I buy a 460 can you make it cut like yours?
Lmao...
Yup.

Ed
I love it! Great story. Those 046s before the ms series, were different man, the PowerBand was legit!

Back