Ms 460 oiler, oem or aftermarket?

Aftermarket may or may not have the same output, it can also come full of metal grit, and they should be tested by hand to turn with relatively low resistance, so the worm gear doesn't get destroyed, but I even check OEM ones for resistance because I've seen some lock and strip the gear.

And try to determine why it stopped working. I have an Echo 355t I just found a stripped oil pump gear on, but in this case the pump has the plastic gear, and the worm gear is metal, and the pump is not serviceable, can only buy a whole new pump. The resistance doesn't seem too much in the. Pump, but I'll never know.

There are two Stihl oilers for that saw, the standard oiler for most markets and the 'West coast' high output version that comes on the saws with a full wrap handle. Here in Florida the local dealers can't even find the part number, but if you have the part number they can order it. I converted many saws back in the day, had more than one thread about it here on the forum including part numbers. I no longer have the info as I lost everything in a computer hard drive failure a while back.

Since you are in Washington it should be easy enough to ask your dealer about the high output oiler. I would get that for sure. Skip the aftermarket oiler, not worth the risk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
$110 @ the dealer.

The oil adjustment screw is stripped, spinning 360s.
I tried to find the oil port in 1/8 revolution increments, but no luck.

The saw is woods-ported and rips, so a $110 part to get it running again isn't a big deal.

I tried an aftermarket for my 440, useless. Plug and play with OEM, worth the extra money for less headache IMO

Back