MSA 161

I have one and like it.
But why, oh why did they go and put a different size bar nut on it, that doesn't fit the regular scrench???

Its like Echo's 303t and new 25cc power pruner having mini bar nuts that nothing else uses. At least they are 10mm, so a Husqy combo maintenance tool can fit, but it doesnt have a flat blade on the end. The mini spark plugs also annoy me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the input. Giving the Echo 2500 a look as well. For me these are just toys. I haven't been a professional tree guy since something like 2008. I do side jobs still, but my climbing saw is an 020T I bought in 1999. Ragged out, leaking tank, it is time for it to retire.

Not u
Thanks for the input. Giving the Echo 2500 a look as well. For me these are just toys. I haven't been a professional tree guy since something like 2008. I do side jobs still, but my climbing saw is an 020T I bought in 1999. Ragged out, leaking tank, it is time for it to retire.
Battery saws are ok, the best seems to be the husky 540i But….put them in dead wood like locust and you might as well give up, absolutely useless.
If you’re just after an occasional saw for serious work, I’d look elsewhere.

I have a 460 mag if I need to make some chips fly. It has never seen more than light hobby use outside of the 2 weeks of hurricane clean up I bought it for.

I like the idea of a small electric saw I can keep in the truck if needed for clearing trails, etc. Mainly when I'm out electric dirt biking. Those eDirtBikes are awesome. I want a StarkVarg....

And by truck, I mean my 3/4 Duramax I use mainly for things like dirt bikes. Total hobby stuff.

I would say a saw with a cord to plug in to the mains is an electric saw.
What you’re talking about is a battery saw.

Sorry to be pernickety.

I would say a saw with a cord to plug in to the mains is an electric saw.
What you’re talking about is a battery saw.

Sorry to be pernickety.
No, that would be a corded saw, not simply an electric. Those are pretty well outdated now as far as chainsaws go.

It gives me an idea for a stupid meme: Shut down lithium mines; buy corded cars.

It would be neat to be able to tap off the grid on the go like an electric train somehow.

Now that I think of it, if you had an electric truck you could drive next to the wood pile, you could run a 10kW corded saw off the truck battery for a long time, the only downside being the thick extension cord.

I love me some battery powered stuff. Not sure about chainsaws but when it comes to motorbikes and cars, petrol power cannot provide the high power performance that battery power does. Not even close. Electric cars make even the fastest super cars or hotrods seem stupid.

The do drastically out perform in terms of both range and portability of fuel. This is why I do not drive one. But, my saw use is hobby. I've use the stihl battery saw my dad has - it is a monster. That battery will go for about 45 min. It will go HARD for about 30. I'm almost 49. I don't like to go HARD on a chainsaw for over an hour. Plus, y'all know how it goes. An arb can put more stuff on the ground in an hour with a handsaw than you want to haul off......

Any closer on which one you want to get? Seems like you really want the Stihl.

I cannot believe any battery saw can be described as ‘monster’

They are not there yet, not near petrol saws at the moment, won’t be long though.

Some monsters are big, others are small. More power than a similar sized petrol saw.

I'm going to get the stihl most likely if for no other reason than I'll have other batteries to swap with if I'm running it at the family farm.

You didn't mention having other batteries. That goes a long way picking a tool. Even if a choice isn't the absolute best, extra batteries on hand is a huge feature.

Just around the house I'm happy with grabbing the wimpy Kobalt battery saw for a few convenient cuts. Though, its so wimpy i often give serious thought to getting out the ported 2511t, but its too much noise and exhaust stink for a few cuts around the house.

Not u

Battery saws are ok, the best seems to be the husky 540i But…
Until recently 540i was indeed the best battery-powered saw. Quite recently, I had the opportunity to test the Stihl MSA 220t, and I want to say that now it is the best saw. Now I dream about this saw at night!))

Last edited:
corded saw... are pretty well outdated now as far as chainsaws go.

That's definitely true, but i think that's because they're designed for a homeowner and not for a pro; since no one wants to drag a cord around with them they basically design them to suck. Most lifts anymore have a built in extension cord in the boom, and i bet they could easily design a professional quality saw designed to be used in a lift that would embarrass a battery saw, yes it would have a cord but that wouldn't be as much of an issue in a lift and could even double as a lanyard for it. I've got 2 makita battery saws that i love and use all the time but I've used grinders a bunch more in my life, and both tools have similar operating specs with their high rpms, torque, and power usage.

I've used several of the battery angle grinders and frankly they are toys compared to a same sized corded one, and the big 9" grinders make even the smaller sized corded ones look like a toy, with enough torque and power that they should scare you a bit (enough to make most people not want to use them). You wouldn't have the weight of the batteries either, so technically the limiting factor would be how heavy do you want it to be, the corded version having the same power would always be lighter simply because of that. By using 220 volt or a higher amperage they could likely even build one to compare to and probably even beat the large logging saws, of course that's another escalation in design for both the power source and lift cord, but from an engineering standpoint i can't see any reason why they couldn't do that with the existing technology. A corded saw would be much cheaper as well, always a good thing. If using an umbilical is an acceptable design compromise they could even go with a pneumatic or hydraulic motor for even more power per weight too, which also wouldn't have the limitations of your typical electric power supply.

No, that would be a corded saw, not simply an electric. Those are pretty well outdated now as far as chainsaws go.

It gives me an idea for a stupid meme: Shut down lithium mines; buy corded cars.

It would be neat to be able to tap off the grid on the go like an electric train somehow.

Now that I think of it, if you had an electric truck you could drive next to the wood pile, you could run a 10kW corded saw off the truck battery for a long time, the only downside being the thick extension cord.
Corded saws are still popular here.
Firewood is often sold/delivered in 1 mètre length (Split)
Householders plug in and cut their wood to required lengths in front of their house.
Cheaper than battery, more reliable than petrol.

I think y'all are just thrown off because I accidentally posted about something on topic, having to do with trees or saws.... Plus I was being kind in that political thread. Very out of character, I know. I've had to deal with a bit of BS lately in addition to just getting older and more mature.... I'm trying to be that change I wish to see.

Back