model 90 bandit, chipper/chipbox combo trailer

thattreeguy

TreeHouser
diesel of course
9 inch capacity
with its own enclosed dumping trailer

i thought this would be a great way to bypass all the extra truck charges for the residential work
maybe less ins, registration, and chp fees

the pickup that pulls it will need a ca#
but really each rig is so costly to have i'm studying the numbers and thinking

that one of these chippers behind a 3/4 or 1 ton service bed (4x4) would be pretty cool for being a self contained unit
only have to pay ins on the truck,etc, etc

ive also been considering a roll off trailer system i thought
1 standard tub...for duff and misc , might want to customize a flexible ramp that stays mounted to the rear of it,( just flexes if it touches the ground when being set down or picked up) i want to be able to drive the mini into it

1 flatbed that i could place logs on and strap down.
also could put the tub on top of the flatbed and deliver both in 1 trip

my though is that i could have a good service bed to do a lot of the running around, and my 1 ton dump, could take the stump grinder and mini behind it cleaning up as it goes.

obviously a boom will be nice , and it can pull my 250 xp around.

I'd like to find used if possible, trying to put 10 to 20 k into equipment that will reduce my operating costs

the mini has saved me so much already

id like to streamline ops a bit , 2-3 men and lot of toys, that are paid for
i'm thinking 1 addition per year

maybe a 2 to 3 yr plan?

any thoughts on the equip i mentioned

roll off trailer and chipper trailer

your thoughts are appreciated

bandit has video and pics on their home site

I think if you can figure out how to put the mini on your chipper and have a 1 ton chip truck then thats a pretty lean/ efficient setup. I have a lot of toys and typically roll in the mornings with just one groundy. If I had to start out fresh I would shoot for that setup , what chip truck do you have?? Why spend $30k on equip. if there is very little potential to make money in your market, stay small and save the cash. Employees cost WAY TO MUCH, find 1 good 1.....

$0.02

I bet those suckers are heavy, i would go with atleast an F450 to pull it. Some of the guys around here that work in rural areas pull chipper behind dump trailer but I dont think that work out in cities.

Getting a mini and chipper to a jobsite with one driver is the ticket.

I'm looking into the idea of a chipper behind my gooseneck. It's looking like it's perfectly legal here. I could have the mini, grinder, large(r) loader, and 15-18" chipper all on one trip. The larger loader could move the chipper around the work site to make getting into position easier.

He is what im thinking of doing for this year. I am going to sell the 5x8 dump trailer and pick up a 14' dump trailer and a small 6" chipper and putting the mini and the chipper on the dump trailer when going job to job. I think they should both fit, and it will work for a little while.

Some interesting ideas here for sure. I like your idea Dave. Nick's plan is good for where he is also in his business

And the 2-3 years of buying things shouldn't be the end. When something is depreciated, you should be thinking about replacing it, trading up. You can make good money that way

You may have already seen it, but Holman Tree on here has the chipper trailer set up. Stuffs a stumper grinder on it as well. As for PCTREES idea of the truck, chipper,mini idea, I once saw a set up with a front bumper mount for a stumpgrinder. The guy had a f550,chipper and vermeer s252 on the front bumper. Looked odd, maybe a mini would fit in place of the stumper.

Littlenick
Check these trailers out for your dump combo set up. Some flat space for the toys and dedicated dump.
http://www.dktrailers.com/trailers/Mini Series Dump Box& Dump Master series/index.html

I'm unsure about them really. Wicked high infeed table.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ioVVcTlG1E?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ioVVcTlG1E?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I like how this thread is going, should be interesting to see some other efficient set ups

I think with the addition of my dump trailer I have a rather efficient setup for my particular market. It offers me a lot more flexibility when working with somebody who just has a chipper and chip truck.

I saw your set up in another thread skwerl, very slick set up! It must be nice to be able cut it, pick it up, and flop it right in the dump trailer! I love the sticker on the bucket too!

I got my trailer setup fine tuned pretty good now,35 hp 6"X 13" chipper, 252 grinder, even got a 800lb capacity powerbarrow on it allowing me to lay off my only employee. Just work alone now and am in my best physical shape since I was 30 something. My pickup and all my equipment are all paid for now but its getting a little lonely all by my self. I figure for next season I can look for a good employee again.
Freedom working alone sure is nice though.

Willard.

Attachments

• Husqvarna 272XP 001.jpg
    Husqvarna 272XP 001.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Husqvarna 272XP 002.jpg
    Husqvarna 272XP 002.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 31
Willard, if you could do it again, would you swap places with chipper and box?

Willard, if you could do it again, would you swap places with chipper and box?
I have looked at Bandits and Morbark trailer setup, but where do you put the stump grinder?
I like the chipper at the back of the trailer because of the ease of feeding it. Plus its a breeze backing the stump grinder off with its own folding ramp. In residential tree jobs most times I back into the customer's driveway or while parked at the curb all the brush is forwarded behind it. Feeding a chipper from the side would be almost impossible with street traffic or while in a customers narrow driveway.
The sidedump makes dumping very easy in confined spaces. Drive into the dump site, dump and keep on going straight ahead. No turning and backing into a dump space.

Willard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
wow
this is great thank you all
i have to keep my set up kind of short if possible, these mountain roads are tight and so are the driveways you have to turn around in
i need to think of where to put the mini

i did work at an outfit where our ford 800's had a platform on the front that held a self propelled dosco stumpers on the front

im thinking this rig would be really for the trim jobs and small stuff in town
jobs where you dont need the 250

just a self contained pick up ( utility bed with rack) ready to go for climbers

so they could take the 250 and leave chips on site, or the chip/trailer combo and haul

on big removals its usually easier to call a buddy with a 15 yd dump to chip into, or to use the prentice to stuff it in 10 wheelers and send it away to the mill (free dumping)
and i should have a forestry boom along the way
i just tried putting my rayco super jr on my 16 ft trailer with my dingo...it fits, with room for a couple attachments
i'd like to keep them behind my 1 ton dump(chevy 3500, 454 gas, 8 ft dump box, short wheel base)
it gets around here better than my 12 ft chevy 1 ton i had a few years back...its all about in backing up alleys or rural driveways

i like the trailers lil nick showed,
they might be a bit long for the roads here, otherwise they look perfect
(a split dump basically with enough room for the stumper and mini)
and they may be tall to put stuff into with the mini,

thats why im thinking roll off
put the box on the ground, so the mini can dump into it,
or drive into it
maybe a roll off with a spot on front or back for the mini

i think the fold down side trailers would get destroyed eventually

Good points Willard, I was just thinking that it looks like alot of tongue weight.

thanks holmen for posting, did you buy that or make it?

id like the rotating chipper on a flatbed 4x4 for use on the fires or for fuel reduction in the mountains

yeah mini seems to be a necessity these days, making me lazy, productive but less motivated to pack wood on my back unless i have to

Back