mini loaders

treesandsurf

Treehouser
I'm going to be looking at buying a mini loader in the next year, I don't know anything about them (in terms of what brands are good, what size/type engines to get) except I know I will want to get a BMG from NordicDave to fit on the loader. My goal is to get a dump trailer and a mini to feet the 1590 for our bigger projects. I know Carlos has the big gehl but I'm not looking to get that invested in loaders, any advice or opinions?

jp:D

Boxer. Mine is a 427 W. wheeled machine. The controls are not easy to finesse, but I do not do any grading or the such that wouldcall for finesse. The BMG is a must but now I am looking toward a grapple rake for some jobs.

I got a Vermeer s800tx early this year and love it, yes it is expensive and a larger "mini", but I am amazed at what it will pick up. The controls are easy to use, it handles well in 6" of spring mud and 10" of snow.

John, why not a Gehl 140? 3500 lbs, and much easier on grass.
I'm thinking the same route Carl, I know you went to the 540 but I have no plans to get into landscape etc. The 340 may twist my arm though.

Like John I want to go across the border and do business with Dave. Doesn't Dave sell the Gehl loaders too?

Don't get me wrong, the 340 is worlds better than the 140 in every way performance wise, however the weight could be a hang up for Jon to haul it. So the 140 isn't much heavier, doesn't cost that much more, and offers more benefits for tree work than a mini.

Dave does sell Gehls, and I'm an agent for him. Would you drive across the border or would you need to have it shipped? Feel free to pm me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
carlos what's the width difference between the gehl's and the minis (dingo, vermeer etc.)? I'm mostly concerned about fitting it into difficult to access yards with standard gate openings. Also, do you know the base price on the 140?

jp:D

An articulating loader would not fit with my setup. It would involve another truck, another trustworthly driver, another trailer, ins, etc.

Have you thought of that? If you don't have the extra truck, your making a lot of trips. Something to think about.

Heavy duty ramps run about 800-1000 if you want a nice set. Load the mini loader in the back of the 550, it's there from the start with the chipper. Come back later, on the way to another job, tomorrow, and pick her up in the end.

I'm headed towards the Ditch Witch SK650, possibly next year if things work out right. Nice specs, awesome control panel (a big for me). Only tracked though, but what are ya gonna do.

I just bought a brand new sk650 a couple months ago...absolutely love it. Great power, very fast, and you can move a lot of material with the BMG.

Do you use the foot control for the grapple? I bet you can remove that plastic safety collar on the hand control to make it easier.

The one thing I will say in the minis defense is it can ride in the bucket chip box or the chip truck. If we are doing multiple jobs I will bring the boxer. If it's a day or better at one location, or just a long drag then we take the 140.

The widthon the 140 is 39 inches(carl correct me if I wrong). The ground speed was my biggest selling point.

Seems in the last 30 years gate sizes have widened considerably. As a teen mowing lawns I recall many 32" gates and mostly 36". These days it's rare to find a gate under 42".

I would love a mini but I am having a hard time convincing my partner that they are worth it. Actually I am having a hard time justifying it to myself as well. We do almost equal prunings and removals so I dont really see needing it on at least half our jobs. Probably less than half of our removals as well. For those of you who have mini's, how many days a week are you taking it out? And what is your ratio of prunings to removals?

We dont take our stumper out daily either, but we got that for $5k compared to closer to $10 for a decent used mini.

I must have missed the story. I really try to keep up on all the posts but I always seem to miss stuff. Maybe my "What's New" button doesnt work right.

Back