Midstem removable ultra sling idea?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My boss is very safety minded. It was my first day and the guy that got me the rope didn’t know any better but since it was my first day I wasn’t comfortable with give me better or I’m not doing it. Now that I’m the full time climber I refuse to use that rope on a job. We keep it in the bucket truck as a tag line if needed. The 800lb piece was able to run so there wasn’t much force on the stem. Never thought about a rope being able to recoil back that aggressively. Definitely need to look in to that

The weaver ditty bag has been with me since I started climbing back in 2018. Very useful, but don't try and overload it. I've had some things fly out when too full and I have to swing/funky reposition in a tree.

My current bag the top is so narrow that it’s a pain to get anything in or out and I would like to stop fighting with all the tails of ultra slings trying to clip them on my harness. I liked the ditty bag for its wide top access and not having to Velcro/magnet it apart. That would be a concern for me beergeek cause I sure do a lot of sideways limb walking when I’m on spurs and no limb above to help stabilize

10:1 safety factor for a new, not-knotted/ bent rope is 730# static.

How much force was on the rope if it statically weighs 800#.

What do you think the breaking strength in that crusty rope is, when straight and static-pulled?

I hope you're boss is as safety-minded as you think.

How did a dangerous situation crop up on your first day that could have left you injured up a tree?

Keep control over your safety.
$0.02

Some people do.

My winch has steel cable. Haven't used it in forever.

"Recoil rope" gets lots of videos of starter recoil assembly repairs.

Recoil is a real concern when overloading synthetic rope, wire rope or cable.

With dyneema the recoil is light and so is the rope.
Takes most of the danger away.

My point was that he greatly overloaded a high- stretch line.

Commonly, the climber is close to/ in the recoil zone.

I'm just curious what gets carried in that bag.

When i switched my MCRS pads when i popped a rivet, i didn't bother putting the gear loops back on, years ago.

The two 2" steel accessory rings, gear loops (made for cord to hang between), and shoulder harness connection points have been enough for me, even taking three rigging ropes and a bunch of slings/ biners, water bottle, snack bars, hand saw, chain saw and blood stopper when working solo.

Sean, for me it was tools, most often. Recall that while I did perform some work in trees that qualifies as aborist-like, much was odder stuff. Many times, I needed hand tools, small parts, things like that. The sphincter style opening worked a treat.

Otherwise, it was nice for slings and such...all the sort of stuff you mention. Kept them from getting hung and tangled in branches as can happen when they are simply hung from gear loops.

This is mine...

IMG_20200801_185708.jpg

It also carries 50' of throwline and an 8oz weight. I keep most things clipped to the saddle.

That was factory. You should see it now :^D

It's all just stuffed in the bag. I haven't used the throwline/weight yet. The grapnel(thanks stig!), I've used a couple times. Time's coming when that stuff will get used though. I have a cluster of pines to do, and I want to try to get them all without hitting the ground.

How do you use the grapnel for changing tie in points in the tree?

For what I intend on doing, a throwbag tossed over a limb, and fetch it with the grapnel should work. Everything will be fairly close. You can also attach a throwbag to the line, and toss it over a limb. Let the bag drop til it's hanging down the same distance it is from you, then tie a longish loop in the line, and clip the grapnel in. You send that out to the limb to snag the throwbag string below the limb, and pull it back in to you.

Keep in mind, this isn't something I've personally done, but I'm aware of the technique. You can probably find a youtube video showing the technique.

Seems like a handy little tool when working in neighboring trees. Did 3 pines all within 20ft of eachother. Would have saved me from having to spur up the other stems individually

A little solo rigging trick I picked up from August hunicke if you didnt watch his last video on youtube is, if you have gaffs on that you can pinch the rigging line between your boots and the tree. He put the line inbetween the spike and the toe of the boot. How he was doing it was using his boot for friction and letting the piece run. I believe it was so he could use two hands on the saw. Since I do most my work by myself I figured I would put that trick in the bank and hopefully that helps you out down the road.

A good one.

If i create enough drag for a piece to run without hands on the rope, i can pin the moving rope to the tree with a hand to stop it.

I've recently decided that using a sling and biner redirecting away from the cutting action is a good thing for solo rigging at times.

You can have the rope wanting to pull you/ your hand away from the running rope at the rigging point, as well as up instead of sideways, naturally / stabilized/ opposed by gravity.

Back