looking for lead climber/ crew leader

Oh for sure.I'd personally rather be productive and make my boss happy then milk and lose my job. I guess alot think differently. Then again i'm used to going out,charging a set amount for a job and doing 6-8 jobs a day.

Nobody does 6-8 jobs a day. If you're going to lie then at least keep it believable.

There's an old blues song that the refrain goes something like "if you can't lie better than that, you might as well tell the truth".
:D

Nobody does 6-8 jobs a day. If you're going to lie then at least keep it believable.

Let me rephrase, obviously I'm not that quick everyday,but a lot of days I can do at least 6,but if its a large/technical removal then usually I can't do that many. I usually do a big job and then several smaller jobs to finish the day. I also have to get up early to be out east everyday, I usually don't stop to take a break except driving to the next job.I know I can't go like that forever but while I can I will. I also don't appreciate being called a liar when I'm not, If I say I'm gonna do something, I do it, If I say something, its accurate. I was raised and taught better than to b.s and lying, especially over the net is about as stupid as trying to cut a tree down with a skil saw. I take a lot of pride in everything I do, so I don't half ass a single thing I do.

Your abilities at mobilization and project coordination have to be even more superior than your climbing and sawyer skills. That, and you must get a lot of piddly little jobs :P.

;):D

Burnham, I'm in Florida, we have no trees you'd consider big or monstrous.

Oh yes, you do...I was born there, lived my early years there, have family there. I know differently, young man :).

No one is allowed a phone at work, except me. If there's something important enough during the day that you need to make a call for, you can use my phone.

I dunno about that rule - a tad too gestapo for my taste. What if there's an emergency at home or something? If someone told me to leave my phone at home, I'd be "See ya later."

Not much arguing with it if that is the reality that has to be imposed, but it is pretty darn ridiculous that rules have to be made because people don't have a concept of their responsibilities. Man, you are lucky to have a decent paying job, whether or not it may seem that way or not at the time. I guess people need a little hungry at some point to appreciate that. I guess that God's country is a spoiled one in some respects.

I dunno about that rule - a tad too gestapo for my taste. What if there's an emergency at home or something? If someone told me to leave my phone at home, I'd be "See ya later."

I've had 4 or 5 different employees in total so far, no phones on any of them ever. I'm not down with that. Spouses or whomever should have my number if there's an emergency.

We go, there's no time for anyone but me to be checking the phone, if I happen to get in the truck for something and at lunch, then at the end of the day.

No phones.:drink:

Not much arguing with it if that is the reality that has to be imposed, but it is pretty darn ridiculous that rules have to be made because people don't have a concept of their responsibilities. Man, you are lucky to have a decent paying job, whether or not it may seem that way or not at the time. I guess people need a little hungry at some point to appreciate that. I guess that God's country is a spoiled one in some respects.

You said it Jay, people don't appreciate where they're at and what they've got. I pay well, the guys who've worked for me have all been quite good and gracious. The no phone thing has never been questioned even.

I don't have much for formal rules. I work directly with my one employee so it's pretty much, just we work and if something doesn't/isn't working you tell the other person. I keep it very out in the open, I don't work as 'boss' other than I say where we're going and what needs to be done. How we get there and how we do it, is open for discussion at any point.

I don't even like the word boss.

You would if you worked for me. If you're such a hot climber I'll bet you could drag that brush like a madman!

I can when I have to,but I just go in, make a mess for a company,let them deal with the debris. I've been known to outwork groundies though.

Phones at lunch seems very reasonable.

For me, we don't take formal 15 minute breaks at 1030 or 330, bet very few do. Lunch is frequently short. Employees get paid from show up time to go home time. I just tell them to check with me if they need to make a phone call or something important to see when good will be a good breaking point. Focusing on the job is important, but so is a sustainable workplace environment. Things like making a doctor's appointment or talking to your insurance agent can only be done during daytime hours. They also get an anecdote during the first couple days of work about the guy that got fired in part because he was not focused on work because he wanted to keep texting his friends, girlfriend, etc.

That's crazy to me. I roll at 7:00 and aim to be back by 3:00. That's eight on the clock, and if your phone is sitting in your truck you can do all the business you want. I'd say 3 to 4 days a week we work overtime and then that day you may not be able to make your call or you have to sneak it in before the very end of your doctor or insurance agents day.

It is not unreasonable. No phones, phone calls on your own time. I pay from when you show up to when I get you back, lunch is fluid maybe eaten in the truck on the way to the next job. If it's a full day on a site we'll stop for fifteen or so and that plus whatever piss breaks or whatnot a guy takes in the day is my 30 minutes a day of paid break.

It's work, not daycare.

I agree its not daycare. We frequently work 4 tens, so the late in the day phone option isn't such an option for my employee(s). Sometimes it 11 hours.

Do you work 5 eights? or 4 eights? Or?

Back