Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Never

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Only when I think I might need one

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Only when I know I will need one

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
The two main contenders were the Rebar and the Bond(which I got). The Rebar has replaceable wire cutters and locking blades. The replaceable cutters were a little interesting, but I had my main Leatherman > 20 years, and though the cutter wasn't pristine, it still worked fine. Having screws there adds a failure point for dubious gain. If you're really using the cutters that much where you'd have to replace them, it might be a good idea to carry a dedicated tool.

The locking blades are a good idea, but I don't use the tools aside from the pliers much in a leatherman. I have a fixed blade knife I typically use for cutting, and a Swiss army for various tools. The leatherman steel is also too hard. It was on the originals anyway. I had broken almost every tool in it from abuse. If I tweak my Swiss army, I can hammer it back in shape. I buy these things to abuse. They're the tool you have with you, and get adapted to the task. I need something that can stand up to abuse.

I find a pair of channellocks and an easily sharpened case knife are best for me most of the time vs a Leatherman. I like the old fashioned slim and more or less rounded knives, they are very comfortable in a pocket and don't wear your pants out as fast. Channellocks act as a small hammer, can cut wire super easy by pinching and bending it back and forth, and perform most all tasks i encounter easier since it's bigger. They make all different sizes and types, i have 3 different ones i carry in my tool bag at work depending on what I'm doing or likely to encounter, a 410 (the best one on bolts since it grabs so well), 420 (i prefer the slightly bigger 430s), and a double vee one that i use for bigger bolts that i can't remember the number.

They make baby ones too if you want something smaller, at first glance they look silly but they are super handy for smaller stuff since they get in tighter spaces. You can sharpen the end of one of the handles into a screwdriver, it's kinda awkward but really works well since you have a handle to apply torque to it. You can crush things with the jaws, use it to straighten/ clean up threads, and you can knurl stuff with it, like threads to kinda lock a loosely tightened nut on by messing the threads up slightly so the nut has to straighten the thread before it can come off. You can grab something small and then put the pliers in a vise to act as a baby vise, or even just secure them with a lashing to something in a pinch. You can use them on smaller pipes as a pipe wrench, and can even use a cheater pipe over the handles. For me that's much more than a Leatherman can do.

I keep a tiny vicegrips in my work belt. The primary purpose is to hold a piece of hacksaw blade for marking concrete, but it's generally useful to have around.

Great post, 09.

My thing is I want to like a multitool but I haven't found one I can carry all day every day. I carry a nice swiss army that has everything I need except pliers. Pliers etc are always fairly close at work and in tool bag. And beyond that, I keep 2 pliers and one wire cutter in each vehicle and also in my back pack/day pack when walking the dogs etc so I feel like I'm covered should issues arise. Swiss army with me 24/7 and 3 pliers nearby basically all the time. And a multi tool in each car.

Agreed, channel locks are the chit. I have 2 sizes, plus a third giant one which I've used approximately once :|:

I find a pair of channellocks and an easily sharpened case knife are best for me most of the time vs a Leatherman. Channellocks act as a small hammer, can cut wire super easy by pinching and bending it back and forth, and perform most all tasks i encounter easier since it's bigger.
They make baby ones too if you want something smaller, at first glance they look silly but they are super handy for smaller stuff since they get in tighter spaces.
Cory replied: “I want to like a multi-tool…”
I agree with both of you. I like the idea of always having a multi-tool on me but I have not been able to make that commitment . SOG knives was trying to bring a multi tool with diagonal cutters called power-cut to market. I pre-ordered but they ran into production problems and gave me my money back after a couple years. . Channellock pliers are super! The baby locks/foreman locks are better pliers than most multi tool pliers I have tried and lighter. I worked with one electrician who had made belt sheath for the tiny channel locks and so he always had them and his single blade knife. Part of my reluctance to go EDC on a multi-tool is that I usually have all my tools with me or in my truck. I don’t encounter too many situations where I am away from tools and need them.

Attachments

• 80673C8E-7556-4D82-8BBB-36634F50B255.jpeg
    80673C8E-7556-4D82-8BBB-36634F50B255.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 1
electrician who had made belt sheath for the tiny channel locks and so he always had them and his single blade knife.
That is exactly what I'm hoping to do, since I haven't found the right sheath online. Then I'd still have to see if it is going to work out/be comfortable for full time carry. But if it does work out, I'd probably try to carry these small pliers:

I have a Leatherman that I never really found I needed to carry. Scout type swiss army does most all I need. I do find small channel locks useful. Maybe some kind of rubberish slip cover would make them pocket friendly. I have a extra large pair too. Well used through the years. Work good on some oil filters.

They seem like cool people. Their [About] page...

IMG_7586.jpeg
Firebird GANZO FH31 Pocket Folding Knife Wharncliffe D2 Steel Blade G10 Anti-Slip Handle with Clip Camping Hunting Fishing Folder Outdoor EDC Knife (Black) Amazon.com - https://a.co/d/3pgKxhC

I could not resist this knife. Very good value for the price. It tics all the boxes for me. Approx. 3” blade. Fairly broad, G10 scales. No point. Deep carry clip. Easy one hand flip opening without being an auto or assisted.
All my favorites fit this description. One thing new for me is the semi wharncliffe blade. Most of mine have been semi sheepsfoot with a belly near the tip. I had been avoiding true wharncliff geometry because many of them seemed narrow. But the belly on all my semi-sheepsfoot are annoying me. I have never skinned an animal and I can’t see any use for me. Example of my previous blade shape: the Benchmade Gryptillion. IMG_7585.jpeg

Last edited:
I saw these sencuts are discontinued on their website and they were
51.00 or so the last time I was looking at them now some colors are 21.99

I really like the design so I ordered a couple of different colors.

That is a nice price for a fun looking knife. Czed, we all dig knives in this thread but I think you are numero Uno knife fan ;) 8)

That is a nice price for a fun looking knife. Czed, we all dig knives in this thread but I think you are numero Uno knife fan ;) 8)
I've been good I hadn't bought any knives since the 8th may.
I'm keeping one sencut and gifting the other one
My previous sencut the sache is a very nice knife
But me being left handed and button locks don't mix
I gave it to my brother he's a righty.

Every time I see this thread I want to buy more knives.

I know, you can never have too many.

I have been spending a bit recently modifying my Tikka T3x. So that’s my excuse for being slack in the knife buying front.

I carry one every day at work, and I carry it climbing also. Mine's the carbon steel blade though. Apparently Scandinavian work clothes come with a button that the sheath is made to fit, so it hangs on the button. This is what I did...

IMG_20231020_154133921_HDR.jpg

It's a short piece of paracord with a stopper on one end, and a bowline on the other that goes on a belt. Having it on cord makes it easy to fold to the side when sitting, and it'll dangle below your saddle when climbing. Quick to deploy for cutting rope or small prunes. After ~1 year of daily carry, the sheath will stop gripping the knife. Tie a constrictor at the top using finer mason's twine. If it wears further, use a heavier line. Could also probably use a double constrictor. I'm up to using fairly stiff/stout line. You can see the wear grooves in the plastic above the line...

IMG_20231020_154935593_HDR.jpg
edit:
I think this might show the wear grooves better...

IMG_20231020_163126039.jpg

Last edited:
Back