Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Never

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Only when I think I might need one

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Only when I know I will need one

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
I always liked the look of the Opinels, and have come close to buying one, but just couldn't think of a place for it. I recently lost my Leatherman. I had made a post where I replaced a hinge with a copper rivet. I mainly used it for the pliers at work. I replaced it with a folding version I had bought my father. Not many tools, but it has the fullsize pliers, and I keep it unfolded in the sheath.

Well...the smaller ones are reported to float.

So they got that going for them...which is nice.

I bought a couple of knives a couple years ago on eBay they were only 13.00 a piece at the time 20200116_124625.jpg
Surprised to find them copy's of zero tolerance
Actually very well built but a bit too Large for pocket carry.

Just been a bit bored today and had a few beers last night playing pool. Been hungover most of the day.

pulled through this evening and decided to change the angle up in the H9 Takin. Had a little chip near the tip so I reshaped it at 20*. Went through all the grits through to the leather strop.

Tested it out on a bit of folded magazine. I’m happy with that.

Attachments

• IMG_5729.MOV
    17 MB
More great posts!

Rich, I like your green SA model except it lacks tooth pick and tweezers which I find handy.

I have the same Opinel as Jim.

And I have Rich's WorkSharp device, haven't used it yet. I bought it after @PCTREE recommended it for touching up chipper knives. Usually I use a 3 sided diamond rod for knife sharpening.

I posted this before. It's what I carry to work aside from the Eldris on the right, and the Leatherman isn't shown...

IMG_20180908_123328.jpg

This is the full collection I might carry somewhere or another. My sgian dubh isn't shown, and is mia somewhere. Maybe in a jacket pocket. There's other knives, but nothing I particularly love...

IMG_20190907_144314.jpg

Also, what's with the Mora Bling for the red handle? Silver chain and all. :D
That's paracord. It's a plastic sheath, and I wove the paracord through the slots and left a loop at the top to distribute pull so it didn't tear the plastic. That knife doesn't leave the house. It's next to the kitchen to use as a general utility knife. I got that as addon to an amazon order for free shipping. I always kinda wanted a traditional wood handle model, and that gave me an excuse to get one. That's more or less the older equivalent of my Companion(olive drab above).

Some kind of camo pattern, so I guess it looks kind of like chain. My Eldris has the same cord. I set that up so I can wear it around my neck in either direction for now. The sheath might get sloppy enough that it'll fall out upsidedown. That happens to the Companions. The first pic of the Companion shows stringline in a double constrictor near the blade. That's to add bulk, so it would lock into the sheath again. The lower pic is the knife I'm currently using. It was the replacement for the top knife when I lost it in that gnarly wetland job I did. That too has string on it now, but it still locked good plain when the pic was taken. It's gotten sloppy again. I need bigger line. Just have to make the time to do it.

It's like tying shoes. A written description sounds impossible, but you just do it, no problem.

My knife guy at Freeport Knife says most knives these days are made in china or taiwan and generally the quality is good.

For example, here is a link re Cold Steel knives, the company has a good rep in the knife world and is based in Texas and most of it's knives are made in Taiwan.

My knife guy at Freeport Knife says most knives these days are made in china or taiwan and generally the quality is good.

For example, here is a link re Cold Steel knives, the company has a good rep in the knife world and is based in Texas and most of it's knives are made in Taiwan.

That's been my experience as well never owned a cold steel but heard good things
Back in 98 I ran a warehouse and as thank you gifts for my crew
I saw that smkw had Winchester 3" bladed thumb stud flipper knives for like 5.00 made in taiwan
So I ordered 10
I sharpened them and gave them out
Later on a girl I'd given a knife to
Was waking to or from her house I can't remember
when a guy attacked her she said she was most scared because he grabbed her and not her purse.
She was able to get that knife out of her pocket and stabbed and slashed him
She didn't know how many times but she was able to break free and run away.
Cops found blood everywhere but never caught him
Knives are handy but she got her a kahr 9mm I think it was after that scare.

My titanium scales arrived from Flytanium this morning. Pimped up the knife quite nicely IMO. I also ordered a titanium thumbstud but forgot the back spacers, so they are still blue.

I followed a video on YouTube and that guy even went to the level of polishing the brass bushings. I didn’t do that but did clean everything and relube it as it was rebuilt.

Turned a good knife into a great one.

2A4E50EE-6CF2-4AC4-B090-895F5DF3411E.jpeg 46E50191-A973-4877-8EB0-9C144F55B5D2.jpeg EE716505-3BE5-4599-9A8E-38E3E8C2C8D2.jpeg View attachment IMG_5748.MOV

Back