Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Never

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Only when I think I might need one

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Only when I know I will need one

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
But the guy that makes them, doesn't he call his knives Arkansas toothpicks?

Rambo knife...ha, I had one of those knives back in the mid 80's as a teenager. 10 dollar crappy knockoff.

I'm not sure, I don't think so. An Arkansas toothpick is a specific type of knife.

k828%20small.jpg

Here's (the first three) the Rambo knives.

UCRAMBO.jpg

Cool, Sweet looking blade there. Thanks Butch I wasn't sure.

As far as knifes for weapons,I have a Toledo steel switch blade.It isn't illeagal to own one but it is to carry one. I use mine for a letter opener.

At one time you could buy these things for 4 or 5 bucks in Spain.Actually any of the famous Toledo steel knives were cheap in that country.

My Rambo knife was similiar to the first one in your pic MB, with a compass in the butt of the handle and a bunch of nonsense packed IN The handle. but it surely were a crappy knockoff. :)

I always lose mine.

:lol: :lol: Me too, that is why I never have one. Besides I can't stand having anything in my pockets as it is. That includes coins and keys too.

I do have a variety of different knives and cutting gizmos in my toolbox compartment of my truck with the service body on it. They seem to get used for everything other than cutting rope and are always dull.

You guys have some serious hardware going on here.

I must be missing something with this climbing trees and needing a knive up there. I have never had a need to have a knife with me up in a tree while climbing. Why do you guys carry one up in a tree??

A knife may be needed for a rescuer in case a rope needs to be cut, but a climber doesn't necessarily need to be packing one.

I keep my military issue TL-29 in my toolbox.

k1103b.jpg

I'm not sure, I don't think so. An Arkansas toothpick is a specific type of knife.
I think if I was in nogun Hawaii I'd probably carry one of those. ...with a can of Dog's bear spray.
Oooh better yet, how about Chingachgook's war club from The Last of the Mohicans.

TS

Attachments

• warclub2.jpg
    warclub2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 43
Sweet now that's a knife, you get rained out again Butch?

I see your point Butch. A simple folding pocket knife that would most likely be found on the job , if it is on the job at all, is going to take some effort to get through some of these ropes we have today. The handsaws we have today would be a more common tool on the job and accessable and would cut a rope quicker than a pocketknife. I might be wrong on this statement as I have never cut rope with a handsaw. It doesn't take much effort to take a chunk out of a rope with one of those handsaws. Another tool that would be handy if it was on the jobsite would be a pair of pruning shears.

Personally, if I had to rescue you those two tools would be more accessable and sharper than any knife I would have on the jobsite, if I had one at all.

I think if I was in nogun Hawaii I'd probably carry one of those. ...with a can of Dog's bear spray.
Oooh better yet, how about Chingachgook's war club from The Last of the Mohicans.

TS

Lots of guns in Hawaii, except the only ones packing them on the streets are the criminals whose crime they are or are about to commit will net them more than the min. 1 year/max. 5 years for carrying without a license. The chief of police can issue a ccw license, according to state law, but no chief has ever issued one in the history of the state.

Sweet now that's a knife, you get rained out again Butch?

Yep, it's pretty much basically rained every day this week. And to top it off, all I have are trims and I hate climbing wet trees sans spurs.

You still have your original one,wow. I have a couple but I have no idea what became of the one I was issued.

I do still have it, but that's a pic from the web. Mine looks exactly like that, only more beat up. I can't imagine how many access panels I popped open with it.

Yeah, Carl, whatever. I'm thinking maybe YOU outta carry four knives. You're striking me as the kind of person who puts themselves IN that type of position.

"inject their trivial opinions?" I'll inject whatever in the hell I want to inject anytime I wanna inject it. You gotta problem with that? :X

The most often thing I do with a knife is clean my nails and cuticles in class, followed by various work tasks which resulted in a broken blade. I want two so I have equal access to either hand, and an auto so I don't have to fumble with opening it while I'm in some odd position.

I stopped carrying the push blade because while it was a handy shape for opening mail, it served little other purpose.

I carried the smaller blade for grubbier work, the bigger blade for the clean cutting. I'm replacing the smaller blade because it doesn't hold an edge like the bigger one.

My last physical altercation was a decade ago when I was in my 6th grade gym class. I've been in less than ten bars/clubs in my life, don't believe I've ever had more than a beer in any of them, normally I don't drink. I've been inebriated six times in my life only once when I wasn't with a small group of friends.

..... yep, I look for trouble and black helicopters.

My pocket knife gets used for everything from cleaning fingernails, to cleaning trout. Cutting bagels, to opening up a duck for field dressing.

I know... sounds gross... but I do clean it after having it up a fish or ducks butt... LMAO...

Gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
..... yep, I look for trouble and black helicopters.

Hahaha...me, too. I just KNOW those black choppers are watching...ALL the time. I can almost see them in my peripheral vision but they always barely manage to dart away as I start to see them. ;)

I use mine to open boxes and packages at work, cut shroud line when hanging tarps, for lots of stuff when camping...sometimes to help clear a jammed round (reloads for .380s were bad about expanding after the 5th or so reload of them..had a few cases get stuck..especially when developing loads...may have been overpressure :\: ), etc.

AxMan asked about use aloft. I have used to test punky wood in a dead pine before...I guyed a leaning pine recently with chains...I used nylon string to secure the chain hooks so they couldn't flop loose if a wind came overnight before I got back to the tree...I used the knife to cut loose all that twine when I derigged...etc.

And if I ever do need to cut a lanyard or rope I would rather use a knife than a Silky.

There ya go Gary, it's not a knife it's a multitool, everything from wire strippers to cheese slicer.

Back