In The News...

It's a sad deal for the family and I'm sure Disney will end up paying them many millions before it's over but gators are pretty much everywhere there's water here guys. The problem with gators, bears or any other wild animal comes when they lose their fear of man. There are some really big golf course gators here that have the potential for doing the same with a grown man. I've offered to take them out but the owner says he thinks seeing the gators adds to the golfer's overall experience. They will lay out on the grass while golfers walk and play within a few feet of them. Asking for trouble in my book.

Too bad about the young boy, must be a hell of a thing for his parents. To see it happen right in front of them... Apparently that pond at Disney world was connected to a source of water where anything could swim up. Ray, why wouldn't they have considered the possibility of that happening? Posted no swimming doesn't seem to be sufficient if you could get down to the water's edge.

Jay, I imagine Disney had the same mindset as the golf course owner, seeing alligators adds to the experience and all that. It sounds like all the larger gators in that lake must've already been removed and no one expected any trouble from three or four footers. If we have to post every bit of water in the south that has lizards in it, it's going to cost somebody a lot of money and in this sue happy society I suspect all the media hype will probably result in loss of access to a lot of fishing and swimming holes.
I agree it must've been terrible for the parents but I can't imagine just standing there and watching it happen without trying to save him. Wasn't there so I don't know the details though.

The news said that both parents went into the water to try and do something, but to no avail. The lad died from drowning was said, his remains intact but for some punctures. Found very close to where he was pulled in.

The father tried to save his son...could not.

Gators don't just swim, Jay...sometimes they cross several miles of land at a time during mating season looking for females. Mating season just ended.

Disney knew about the gators...they have an "Animal Mitigation Team" or something like that in place...tasked with keeping the gators under control. How did that work for them?

There should have been signs...some farmer or corn husker from Nebraska is NOT going to know there are gators everywhere. The only sign said, "No swimming"...not what the danger was. The boy was in ankle deep water a few inches from shore per reports.

In Africa near water...yeah, crocodiles, hippos, we all probably know that.

In DISNEYWORLD??? wildlife threats are not on the radar for most folks.

A family lost a beautiful boy. A dive team and others had to be part of a worst nightmare.

The father tried to save his son...could not.
Gators don't just swim, Jay...sometimes they cross several miles of land at a time during mating season looking for females.
Good to know they tried, had to be a horrible feeling.
I glimpsed something dark out in a palmetto flat during bow season many years ago and made a stalk, thinking it was a hog. Slipping within ten yards I peeked around the bushes and came face to face with a good ten footer. We both parted ways in a hurry. Gary I see tracks every year in places like you describe, miles from water on sand hills.
For what it's worth, here's my take on the big picture. We can't eliminate every hazard with a sign and as you said, we can't completely control animal movement either. There were more than 30,000 people killed on the highway in the U.S. last year but I've never seen a sign warning folks they could die if they got behind the wheel. Should we sue DOT?
Not that I care in the least about Disney, but for the record, besides "No Swimming", their signs also said; "Beware - Please Be Aware Of Alligators In The Lake". I would think that would cover it, but probably not.
And Jim, no I don't tolerate them in my pond, when they reach about four feet, I move 'em.

We have gators at our farm in S. GA...just N of Valdosta, near Florida. I called the DNR about 20 years ago to check on having them remove them...they would only get involved if the gator was over 4 feet and a "nuisance".

Any gator of 4 feet is already a nuisance to me. My kids were little then, we spent a lot of time around the lakes and so did our dog.

I have "moved" quite a few gators over the years, 4 - 6 footers mostly. The other side of that equation is that the beavers then cause more problems.

Even with putting up signs.. people often ignore warnings or do not even read them. Sort of like the signs up in Yosemite that say "Stay on Trail" "Do not swim above Water Falls" etc.
But yes, I would have a sign at Disney World. We had rattle snake habitat signs in AZ on the golf courses. ......Idiots would still try to get their balls in the rough and get covered in cactus though :lol:
You will still get this.....
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FxQZLttqOmM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When I was in West Texas in the '70s hiking around in the rock looking for select little cacti I could not get rattlesnakes off my mind. Never saw a rattler or small cacti but I did see a huge shed that made me even more fearful. Lots of people, most maybe, can look danger in the face and not recognize it.

I get these emailed notices from time to time like tonight, a part of US citizen services. :/:

June 17, 2016

"This message is being issued to alert U.S. citizens living in, or traveling to Japan that the Embassy has received information that on Sunday, June 19, 2016, a large-scale protest and rally is planned at the Ohnoyama General Athletic Field at the Ohnoyoma Park and sports complex in central Naha, Okinawa.

According to information received, organizers plan to bring several tens of thousands of protestors to Ohnoyama General Athletic Field, to protest the U.S. military presence on Okinawa. The Ohnoyama Park and sports complex is located in central Naha, approximately 2.5 miles east of Naha Airport and less than 2 miles south west of “Kokusai Dori,” a major tourist and shopping destination in Naha.

The protest and rally is expected to last for one hour, and is scheduled from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM. As the Ohnoyama Park and sports complex is located on Route 331, a major artery leading from Naha Airport to downtown Naha, disruptions in traffic are possible throughout the duration of the protest".

Additional rallies may be held in 30 prefectures throughout Japan during the three-day period of June 17–19.

Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.

I can well understand the Okinawa residents being very tired of the US military presence. The activities are a big disturbance, I certainly wouldn't like to live in close proximity to an air base. There has been a number of incidents where military members have gotten into trouble with the law, some rapes and murders. In a low crime rate country that hasn't helped things and really fires people up.

On the other hand, with China's growing military might and territorial activities, along with North Korean threats and trouble making, Japan definitely needs the strong US presence at the current time, imo. Okinawans have become so agitated by the long term foreign military on their soil, that come hell or high water, they just want them out. Some different solutions are on the drawing board, like a new offshore airbase, but they seem to not be without their potential problems as well. It's a difficult situation, but steps do need to be taken to somehow improve things.

Japan could increase it's own military abilities and by small increments they are, but given the history, that upsets the neighbors. Los of people within the country are against that too, people haven't forgotten how the country was devastated by military ambitions. The greatest solution is for all the countries to get along so military might isn't a priority, but of course that can never happen.

I can well understand the Okinawa residents being very tired of the US military presence. The activities are a big disturbance, I certainly wouldn't like to live in close proximity to an air base. There has been a number of incidents where military members have gotten into trouble with the law, some rapes and murders. In a low crime rate country that hasn't helped things and really fires people up.

On the other hand, with China's growing military might and territorial activities, along with North Korean threats and trouble making, Japan definitely needs the strong US presence at the current time, imo. Okinawans have become so agitated by the long term foreign military on their soil, that come hell or high water, they just want them out. Some different solutions are on the drawing board, like a new offshore airbase, but they seem to not be without their potential problems as well. It's a difficult situation, but steps do need to be taken to somehow improve things.

Japan could increase it's own military abilities and by small increments they are, but given the history, that upsets the neighbors. Los of people within the country are against that too, people haven't forgotten how the country was devastated by military ambitions. The greatest solution is for all the countries to get along so military might isn't a priority, but of course that can never happen.

Thanks, I had read about the rapes/murders.
I'm guessing the US would not give up a strategic asset like that lightly.

True, one of the US carrier task force groups is stationed here, from which they do little jaunts over to the middle east from time to time when some show of force seems prudent. They have an annual open house festival where you can go on ships and such, haven't ever made it but would love to go. Possibly even a sub.

Back