How's the splice today?

• Thread starter Wagnaw
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 182K
(Thanks)

Bill,
I've said it many times, but I'm also VERY glad I found this forum. Learning to splice is only
one reason. Mainly it's the people, Nick was and is a HUGE encouragement to me with many
areas of tree work. Splicing is just one of 'em. :D
And having people like you share your insight and experiences makes it that much better. :thumbup:

Nick,
here's a few pics of my "ghetto HAAS" after I "cleaned it up a bit".....
still needs to be "cleaned up" more to make it more "user friendly". ;)

I used it last Saturday, it worked great! :thumbup:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8957 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8957 - Copy.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_8958 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8958 - Copy.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_8959 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8959 - Copy.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_8960 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8960 - Copy.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 97
Sorry also that I failed to get the pic up last night as I had planned.

As to" getto" yea this is for certain:D
vyve5u6a.jpg

It works well and the bungie over my shoulder clipped under the HH tends it also.

Randy, someday if you have the time, I would love to buy one of those prussic loops. Whenever I feel like cutting a corner, or tired & lazy, I could run it through my hands like prayer beads, to remind myself what commitment feels like.......Bill

Sorry for jumping in the middle of conversation....

Worked with Matt D. back in Maryland recently and accidentally got hooked on the idea of learning to splice a bit. It seems like the most reasonable way to get things made just the way I want them, and a good splice does look like a work of art to me. The clincher was Matt offered to show me how. I love learning in person as opposed to from a book.

Bonner, did that small X Rigging Ring mechanical advantage ever work to your satisfaction?

Adrian,
that is some VERY nice lookin' work you're doin'. How long have you been splicing anyway? :?

I still need to make myself an adjustable LOTS to "finish off" my setup. Not to mention all the other "little detail stuff"..... ;)
Healin' up for sure, but still quite a bit of pain. :whine: :roll:

I put together a SecretWeapon for ClimbMIT. We went with two different rings so it can also be used as a traditional R-r friction saver. Mark ordered high quality ISC rings. The large ring will pass an overhand knot or a quick link allowing several retrieval options. The body is 10mm Ocean Pacific, which is IMO a really nice cordage choice. It is 30" long from end to end (textile length).

IMG_6077.JPG

IMG_6078.JPG

IMG_6079.JPG

IMG_6080.JPG

IMG_6076.JPG

IMG_6072.JPG

I hope you like it Mark!

Nice work Nick. :thumbup:

As you already know, I've been busy "layin' around recoverin' from surgery"..... ;)

Pretty much these were all "easy" projects, considering I'm recovering from surgery I can't take on
anything that's gonna take "too much" strength.
But I will say, splicing the eye on the end of my 16 strand climbline was a pain, literally. :(

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8954 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8954 - Copy.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8963 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8963 - Copy.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8985 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8985 - Copy.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8994 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8994 - Copy.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_8995 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8995 - Copy.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9000 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_9000 - Copy.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9001 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_9001 - Copy.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_9005 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_9005 - Copy.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9007 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_9007 - Copy.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 81
Nice!

Let me know how you like the Liger set up that way. I had to have mine with the bridge in the top holes, and I tried to leave the middle front (away from the wearer) free for additional clip in options.

attachment.php

Nice!

Let me know how you like the Liger set up that way. I had to have mine with the bridge in the top holes, and I tried to leave the middle front (away from the wearer) free for additional clip in options.

attachment.php

Thanks,
it actually was pretty easy to do the switch. It kinda makes sense to me to put the widest strap(leg strap)through the "big hole" on the rig plate, freer movement I hope(?).
I went to see the Doc yesterday and he said "looks real good, don't lift anything heavy for the next two weeks and you'll be ALL SET", WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:greenjumpers:

You might find that it gives you the mobility you want, if your leg straps spin to freely and wont stay put try a smaller hole. For me, I needed my leg straps to be a little less mobile and I wanted the big hole to clip into, although at the time I had a traditional type snap, not one of the fancy 3 action biner nosed-snap hooks that you and I rock now.

Its a neat modification because it adds a lot of customization and you scored either 2 rings or 2 small shackles in the process.

You might find that it gives you the mobility you want, if your leg straps spin to freely and wont stay put try a smaller hole. For me, I needed my leg straps to be a little less mobile and I wanted the big hole to clip into, although at the time I had a traditional type snap, not one of the fancy 3 action biner nosed-snap hooks that you and I rock now.

Its a neat modification because it adds a lot of customization and you scored either 2 rings or 2 small shackles in the process.

Those new ISC snaps are awesome!!! :thumbup::D

I put together a SecretWeapon for ClimbMIT. We went with two different rings so it can also be used as a traditional R-r friction saver. Mark ordered high quality ISC rings. The large ring will pass an overhand knot or a quick link allowing several retrieval options. The body is 10mm Ocean Pacific, which is IMO a really nice cordage choice. It is 30" long from end to end (textile length).

IMG_6077.JPG

IMG_6078.JPG

IMG_6079.JPG

IMG_6080.JPG

IMG_6076.JPG

IMG_6072.JPG

I hope you like it Mark!

Looks great Nick! Can't wait to try it out for SW and as friction saver.

I made another one up... A friend posed the question of whether there was a R-r combination that would allow the small ring to choke through the big ring, here it is.

14/10 XRR and a big DMM ring

IMG_6082.JPG

IMG_6083.JPG

IMG_6087.JPG

Back