hinge pics

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And this one didn't. Close to zero fight of the side lean and just barely missed the fence. The hinge just blew up with a pop, no tearing and pulling involved.

swing dutchman small maple by fence.jpg

Last edited:
You clearly missed the point of my post, so I'm gonna lay it out for you real nice a slow buddy..

It would probably be best if you went back and simply learned to perform the basic functions that every decent faller needs to know like making sound undercuts and not continually destroying your hinge.. And while you at it it would probably be best if you got off your lazy butt and simply made the effort to do things right instead of quickly. That way you wouldn't have to resort to such blatantly gawd awful hackery, cringe worthy cutting, and unnecessarily risking other peoples valuables...

tapered hinge small locst.jpg short bar bisect.jpg dry tulip top plunge.jpg swing dutchman small maple by fence.jpg

The one time you managed to hit your undercuts lay and look what happened...Did you ever settle up with Little Jimmie for his smashed swing-set buddy.

20181124_143313.jpg

Last edited:
What's the difference? species, size, lean of the tree, time of year, or something else? The maple surprised me when it failed. The first ash surprised me when it held. I haven't figured it out yet.

That locust swing dutchman was another great learning.. bottom line is it made the lay. No rope on that job, so I had to pull it with a throw line. It was a stump grinding job that I upsold to a drop and leave the locust and a fir and grind both stumps in addition to the 10 + other stumps on site.

That locust had so much lean I never thought I could get it to clear the neighboring tree, a big silver maple, to make the yard. Now I could have gone home and gotten another rope, but what's the fun in that? I was trying to get the job done with what I had. I like a good challenge. The risk of failure was high, but the cost was acceptable in that it would only be a hung tree which I would just need to go home and get a rope to pull out anyhow. So it was really a freebie.

I had my 18-year-old son and his friend on site and there was a landscape crew that was waiting for the stumps to regrade. SO plenty of manpower to pull by hand, but I had to be careful not to break the pull line. Zing it is maybe 500 lbs. So I kept nipping away at the hinge, and asking them to pull a little (but not overload the line), and then nipping some more, and some more until she moved. The tree cleared the maple and laid right on top of the spruce. I looked like a hero and was amazed again at the holding ability of the swing dutchman.

swing dutch locust.jpg

Last edited:
You obviously made multiple attempts at your backcut, destroyed your hinge, and lost yet another tree sideways..There is simply no excuse for a so-called professional to ever make a cut like that (or the ones pictured above) on a residential tree job... Ever!

If you really feel the need to redefine the laws of nature and/or reinvent the wheel I would suggest you go get a job working in the woods Daniel. Don't be surprise if after leaving a wrath of busted timber and hung up trees they send you packing though...

I was experimenting with an intentionally low back cut because I had seen the ability of a low back cut to swing really heavy locust significantly. but when the tree didn't move, thought it best to raise the back cut to level, rather than take any more out of the hinge. SO it was all intentional and all had a reason. and it worked. You've seen the tree laying in the yard before, so what's the problem? You don't like the look of this hinge but to me, it's a thing of beauty!

swing dutch locust reverse clsoe up.jpg

I was experimenting with an intentionally low back cut because I had seen the ability of a low back cut to swing really heavy locust significantly. but when the tree didn't move, thought it best to raise the back cut to level, rather than take any more out of the hinge. SO it was all intentional and all had a reason. and it worked. You've seen the tree laying in the yard before, so what's the problem? You don't like the look of this hinge but to me, it's a thing of beauty!

View attachment 99999
Please make it stop.. You just told us that you "intentionally" made a low back cut, but when the tree didn't move you took another stab at it. You then tell us it was all "intentional" and it "worked". The fact that your tree didn't move is the very definition of not "working", and the need for a second backcut is the very definition of "unintentional"...

adapt, improvise, whatever it takes to get the job done. if we made perfect textbook cuts every time we would never learn anything new

You see the tree laid out across the lawn don't you?

That means it worked I got paid, and looked good

Thats where you and I differ buddy.. Every time I lace up the boots I consider it my job to do my best to make a perfect textbook cut every time...Doesn't always work out , but not for a lack of effort..

You on the other hand seem to think its fine to use your clients dime to experiment and try to create a new tree felling paradigm.

What exactly did you learn from all your hackery on this 11 inch DBH backyard twig Daniel? Do you actually think that kind of butchery is gonna work on a real tree when it actually matters?

Last edited:
I like to adapt and improvise as needed. throw everything to my favor and mix in some creativity and experimentation as appropriate to the situation..
Just looking through some old photos. Here's one you're not going to see in the textbooks:

rigging floating block before.jpg rigging with floating block.jpg rigging floating blovk after.jpg

Last edited:
In the above pics the first cut needed vertical clearance from the wires., thus the long sling and wrap. Once the tip cut cleared the wires, it was still hanging well across the street, right over the neighbor's spruce trees. The second cut allowed the tip to swing back another 9 or 10 feet, right over the street and threw the wood from the second cut back into the street as well.
NO ONE here has ever seen anything like that or even imagined that type of rigging. It was improvised, experimental and it worked!

And here's another piece of improvised rigging from the archives. I swung some heavy wood off this rig. ntrl crotch fishing pole.jpg

yes I AM...

How about you Mr. Melo.
Let's see some of your rigging

what do you got?

what do you know other than how to be a smart a**

If anything please show it.
please say something intelligent
please show something worth seeing
or stfu

So let me get this straight. It's ok with you to get creative with rigging configurations, but every hinge has to look like yours or it's "blatantly gawd awful hackery, cringe worthy cutting, and unnecessarily risking other peoples valuables "

Is that what you are saying? Cause I have other ideas. They have put food on the table reliably for coming up on 20 years.

What Rico and for that matter, I, have been saying is something along the line of: If you want to put yourself up on a pedestal as the master, we should all learn from, it would behoove you to learn the simple basics of cutting first.
Most of your stumps look like they have been made by a demented beaver on mushrooms.
My apprentice has been logging for 3 months now, if he did any of the crooked, hacked out shit that you constantly show, I'd spank his butt and send him to bed without dinner.

So, which part of this did you not understand?

I've seen your work Stig

nothing you've done has impressed me I've done stuff that you have never done I put trees on the on the ground in a way you can't even imagine I'm not bound by your rules that it has to be perfect it has to look perfect the saw has to be perfectly sharp.
For me it just has to work.
I've been putting videos up for 10 years and they've all worked every single job back leaners front leaders experimental notches, Complex rigging, And cutting techniques that have never been shown or published in any other form.

What have you done other than talk a good game over here like you're some kind of tree cutting God.

When you started putting up lack luster videos you promptly gave Gary his camera back.

So your criticisms don't mean a thing to me, Other than someone's telling you the emperor has no clothes and you don't like it

So let me get this straight. It's ok with you to get creative with rigging configurations, but every hinge has to look like yours or it's "blatantly gawd awful hackery, cringe worthy cutting, and unnecessarily risking other peoples valuables "

Is that what you are saying? Cause I have other ideas. They have put food on the table reliably for coming up on 20 years.
Gee Daniel I thought the point of my comment was very clear. Your rigging was mundane yawn worthy stuff and men have been doing similar things with blocks and straps since before the advent of dirt......

And Mr. Beranek is the bees knees...

So you say.

There must be something special to it, professionals in the tree cutting world have been using it successfully for years.generally
every day all day for as long as anybody remembers.... thus nothing special. its same old same old... tried and true... because its generally effective... I wouldn't bother sharing photos or videos to show what everyone already does all day long. that would get boring fast.

it's like another crane pick... a good crane pic is slow and smooth... altogether uneventful. at this point is there anyone left alive that can stand to watch a 15 minute crane removal video?

I've seen your work Stig

nothing you've done has impressed me I've done stuff that you have never done I put trees on the on the ground in a way you can't even imagine I'm not bound by your rules that it has to be perfect it has to look perfect the saw has to be perfectly sharp.
For me it just has to work.
I've been putting videos up for 10 years and they've all worked every single job back leaners front leaders experimental notches, Complex rigging, And cutting techniques that have never been shown or published in any other form.

What have you done other than talk a good game over here like you're some kind of tree cutting God.

When you started putting up lack luster videos you promptly gave Gary his camera back.

So your criticisms don't mean a thing to me, Other than someone's telling you the emperor has no clothes and you don't like it
Between all your self aggrandizing and your never ending bloviating I believe you just admitted to leaving a mess of shitty cuts in your wake, and using a dulll saw while making said cuts? On this we can agree!

nothing special about cutting a straight hinge

Actual there is something very special about a beautiful perfectly executed stump....

What exactly is your deal with needing to make multiple attempts at your backcut (free frame at 3:45)...It really shouldn't be that difficult buddy..

Back