hinge pics

Daniel, read this and tell me these are the words of a sane person.

Your megalomanic rants are getting ever worse.

I've found a way to make them easier to live with, though.
I simply read them to myself in the voice of Clarence Nash.
Works perfectly.
I have to agree, Stig. Daniel seems to be flirting even more these days with a totally unhinged perception of reality. The boy be whack.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why do I ever engage with you, Murphy? I am a fool to even try at this point.
I have never found a member here as deeply offensive on so many levels as you
Never again, I swear it.
Sunday night 9:09 pm

I am agog. Daniel Murphy must be either very strong to the left hand end of the autism spectrum, completely psychotic, or regularly doing mind altering drugs...it's the only logical conclusion I can come to.
Tuesday 10:15 pm

Your "never again.. I swear it" turned into 49 hours 6minutes. We may divergent viewpoints but I always expected you were a man of your word. Not much integrity there.

And once again rather than advance an actual criticism of my work as seen in the many videos and photos, you are simply throwing mud and derogatory name-calling, which is pretty low for a man of your character. Throwing mud is generally the go-to method for those that can't argue their points effectively. Apparently you've learned your lesson well as on the past occasions that you tried to criticize, I have had to explain things that show up your limited perspectives and lack of complete understanding.

You criticized me for not leaving 2" of stump shot (as Bermy alluded to more recently). So I explained the reasons why stump shot is not necessary in most suburban scenarios, and how the factors that influence the pros and cons of the technique are far different in the backyard than in the woods. I was the first person to bring that matter to the attention of the members here. The smart ones here heard what I was saying and changed.

And then in commentary about an early youtube video of Barberchair video of some alder out west, I had to point out that the face cuts were clearly bypassed in an unintentional dutchman by the faller when no one else here including you picked that up. And there are plenty more examples of times I have had to explain things to you and the other so-called experts here. You don't like it because it bursts your collective bubble of thinking you are so grand.

Because I do respect your experience and skill level I would be happy to engage in an intelligent conversation or answer any specific questions and reply to any specific criticisms you and others here may have. I've put out a lot of material covering many topics. But its been a long time since you have done anything but throw out personal attacks. You really have reduced yourself to the level of the internet lowlifes that spew ugliness without a chance of having something positive come of it. That's pretty sleazy for a man of your age and character.
So for your own sake, if you are going to engage with me, let it be something more than just a bunch of insults. Offer something to the viewers here that they might learn from, That's the highest ideal of these forums. There is a lot to be learned. It's just a shame that egos and personalities have gotten in the way.

Last edited:
In the spirit of keeping it real I have taken the liberty of re-wording your last sentence to more accurately portray reality Daniel... I hope you don't mind?

" It's just a shame that my ego and personality has gotten in the way." murphy4trees 9:30 pm April 9th, 2020

yes, I do have an ego... for better or for worse, most good tree men do. maybe that's what it takes to put your life on the line day after day just to put food on the table. Walking a fine line between self confidence and cockiness... taking deliberate action based on careful consideration and a will for taking risks, just to see what happens.

I know my personality rubs people the wrong way. But I don't engage in playground name calling. I try to keep my criticism helpful and respectful. I don't start the ugliness around here. I finish it and I back up what I say.

To that end, stay tuned for more videos coming soon.

Do you actually listen to yourself or read your posts before hitting the little button on the right? If not I would highly recommend you begin doing so...

I would also like to take the liberty of speaking for the entire Arb community and state the we are all giddy with anticipation concerning your upcoming video deluge.

nothing you've done has impressed me I've done stuff that you have never done I put trees on the on the ground in a way you can't even imagine I'm not bound by your rules that it has to be perfect it has to look perfect the saw has to be perfectly sharp.
For me it just has to work.
I've been putting videos up for 10 years and they've all worked every single job back leaners front leaders experimental notches, Complex rigging, And cutting techniques that have never been shown or published in any other form.

Daniel, you get on Burnham's case for going after you instead of criticizing your work.
But look above at what one gets out of criticizing your work!

A Me, Me ,Me, I ,I ,I..I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.....................am the greatest rant, that Cassius Clay couldn't have done better in his prime.

Little wonder that we eventually tend to go after the man instead of the ball.

Answer me this:
Why do you think it is that you, the self proclaimed master if not actually the GOD of treework is a laughing stock on ALL the arborist forums?
Man, there is not a single one where they don't laugh at you.

Could it perhaps be because you show a combination of a personality that is very hard to like and a very low skill level?

I know( because you have told us over and over) that you are the beloved hero of amateurs all over the planet.

Good for you.

Then why not stick to posting videos for their entertainment and leave the pros the frig alone!

Last edited:
A stump pic that I hope is so beneath Daniel that he ignores it 😎

I am working on some ash with dieback & covered in ivy. They are all approx 18" 65ft tall and over 75 years old. Does not matter how I cut them they either split or hold on for dear life. Makes for interesting cutting IMG_1200.JPG IMG_1201.JPG

What's up with the little wedge cut out of the back cut? Not criticizing, just curious.

edit. Never mind. I see you did a bore cut and then cut the strap at an angle.

What Rico and for that matter, I, have been saying is something along the line of: If you want to put yourself up on a pedestal as the master, we should all learn from, it would behoove you to learn the simple basics of cutting first.
Most of your stumps look like they have been made by a demented beaver on mushrooms.
My apprentice has been logging for 3 months now, if he did any of the crooked, hacked out shit that you constantly show, I'd spank his butt and send him to bed without dinner.

So, which part of this did you not understand?
There is no specific criticism in this post Stig.

Your generalizations about my stumps are useless.
There is nothing to learn or discuss about a general statement like that.

They mean nothing without specifics so if you have something specific to say then say something to specific otherwise I'm gonna be back in your face

Daniel, in the 49 hours and something minutes between, "never again", and my "again" post, in the background there was a cognitive change in how I decided to deal with you. Too bad for you that means I have no alternative to giving you as much shit as I think you have earned. Or maybe I'll ignore you some more. I haven't decided. Probably vary by the minute. After all, I'm old and probably not all that dialed it these days :P.

I know this won't bother you even a tiny bit. Any attention is better than none, right?

Last edited:
It still has a lot of directional control but not having to fight the hinge to get it over. The corners do the steering and control.

It is a standard cut taught in the Uk. Allowing you to fell a tree 2.5x bar length. It also has the added bonus of making stems easier to pull without losing the control.

Once a whole tree starts going over the crown weight helps to add to the momentum and breaks the hinge when the face closes.

Once the crown has been removed, a stem can go over and it is a slow affair, the face can close and the piece sits there without breaking hinge fibres. Gutting the hinge just make less resistance and about the same control.

I think that is pretty much taught anywhere, not just in the UK.

Here as well.
Also for anything that needs to fit into a tight lay.

It's useful too for wedging over the hard back-leaning trees. It allows more force to actually lift the tree instead of flexing the full length of the hinge.

That was one of the uses I knew of, especially in very thin stems. Also the short bar, but that didn't immediately come to mind. I try to overkill everything. I prefer one cut all the way through if at all possible, and I've yet to make two major felling cuts. Everything I've done so far has mostly made it all the way with the bar I had, and only needed a little finishing from the other side,

Core of tree (heart wood) more stiff than outer near cambium grasshopper
More flexible, bend like reed in wind.
The difference in holding ability between heartwood and out edges near cambium (if there is one at all) has little or no effect on the holding ability of those respective fibers. the REASON the outer fibers hold better is because they are better positioned to have more leverage to hold against side lean. SO it's about the leverage, not about differences in the characteristics of the wood fibers.

Back