Excavators

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am all about Sneakers...loves sneakin'. I remember re-discovering Chuck Taylor Converse All Stars in my 30's...could not believe they still made them. And they STILL do!

I actually haven't worn them in decades. I pretty much wear boat shoes or combat boots. I also try to get semi rugged lace up shoes as my 'get to work shoes'. As the name implies, they get me to work so I can put on my combat boots, or if it's gonna be an easy low key day, I'll just wear those, but that doesn't happen much, and I don't trust it. A sure way to know I'm gonna be in mud and greebriars is to not wear my my boots :^S

Bitches please! Doc Martins .

That looks like a nice machine Gary, good ground speed, "be like water" with the controls the more you dig the better you will become. Suggestion: is find a practice area to dig so you can see the grade and train your muscle memory.

I have been negligent...@stikine just called me out. The first 2 days we had the excavator were crazy busy. I got lots of picts and video but haven't had time to mess with it.

We did a lot of different stuff...dredging, moving spar chunks and concrete pipe, grading, cutting a 1/2 mile road thru woods, ripping apart big debris piles in the way, crossing 2 creeks and making the crossing "crossable" for the HO's 4 wheelers, etc. Then Alex took the ex to their "burn building" where they set things on fire inside conex containers and then crawl around in smoke and fire and practice fire fighting. It is a multi-level conglomeration ofconexes. They had another one delivered recently but the delivery folks set it down 180 degrees out of sync. Alex and his FF bud, Brent used the ex to rotate the conex 180. I'll post some pictures now, edit some video later.

A lot of these first pictures are where we first picked up the ex...they had just installed the thumb and tuned the mulcher with pressures, set up the computer, etc. We got our "here's your new ex" introduction, loaded it up and headed to my friend, Bill's place. He is Scoutmaster for our troop...good fellow with about 35 acres that he turned us loose on. We got experience, he got some shat tore up. Here are a few picts posted...more are at the link below:

picture Take TB370 first day at Bill Camps  (3).jpg picture Take TB370 first day at Bill Camps  (5).jpg picture Take TB370 first day at Bill Camps  (8).jpg picture Take TB370 first day at Bill Camps  (10).jpg picture Take TB370 first day at Bill Camps  (15).jpg picture Take TB370 first day at Bill Camps  (17).jpg Take second day use at Bill Camps  (2).jpg Take second day use at Bill Camps  (6).jpg

Attachments

• Take second day use at Bill Camps  (12).jpg
    Take second day use at Bill Camps (12).jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 13
  • Take second day use at Bill Camps  (17).jpg
    Take second day use at Bill Camps (17).jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 12

Attachments

• Take second day use at Bill Camps  (19).jpg
    Take second day use at Bill Camps (19).jpg
    6 MB · Views: 6
  • Take second day use at Bill Camps  (34).jpg
    Take second day use at Bill Camps (34).jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
  • Take second day use at Bill Camps  (39).jpg
    Take second day use at Bill Camps (39).jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • Take second day use at Bill Camps  (50).jpg
    Take second day use at Bill Camps (50).jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 7
  • Take second day use at Bill Camps  (55).jpg
    Take second day use at Bill Camps (55).jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Take second day use at Bill Camps  (62).jpg
    Take second day use at Bill Camps (62).jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 7
  • Take second day use at Bill Camps  (66).jpg
    Take second day use at Bill Camps (66).jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Take second day use at Bill Camps  (70).jpg
    Take second day use at Bill Camps (70).jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 7
  • Take second day use at Bill Camps  (74).jpg
    Take second day use at Bill Camps (74).jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 7
  • Take second day use at Bill Camps  (77).JPG
    Take second day use at Bill Camps (77).JPG
    10.7 MB · Views: 7

Attachments

• Conex move at AFD burn building  (1).jpg
    Conex move at AFD burn building (1).jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 6
  • Conex move at AFD burn building  (2).jpg
    Conex move at AFD burn building (2).jpg
    4 MB · Views: 6
  • Conex move at AFD burn building  (3).jpg
    Conex move at AFD burn building (3).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • Conex move at AFD burn building  (4).jpg
    Conex move at AFD burn building (4).jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
  • Conex move at AFD burn building  (5).jpg
    Conex move at AFD burn building (5).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • Conex move at AFD burn building  (6).jpg
    Conex move at AFD burn building (6).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
  • Conex move at AFD burn building  (7).jpg
    Conex move at AFD burn building (7).jpg
    3 MB · Views: 7
Here is a quick video of where we took down a leaning tree at Alex's house. This gum was slowly breaking. I planned to hang it from a nearby big pine and cut it from the bottom as we used a portawrap to lower it. Alex said, "nah". We were able to grab, hold and get it away from the shop without rigging at all. He is the primary operator now. We have done maybe 5 different jobs and he is doing the ex work. We take the ex to the farm this Thursday for 4 days. I'll do some of the work down there. I'll leave it down there, come home for about 10 days, then go back to the farm for 2 weeks or so and focus on ex work then.

Awesome machine 👍

I've been clearing a lot the last few days with a loaner Kubota kx040. I'm super impressed with what that little machine will do. I've got more experience on slightly bigger machines but am now contemplating buying a smaller one for the tree service.
Anyone have experience with the 7-8k lb machines? They certainly simplify moving them around and avoiding the class A CDL. Obviously if we were moving dirt for a living a bigger machine that spends more time on a single job warrants the CDL stuff, but tree work or even small lot clearing jobs we are only there a few days max.

I would definitely be looking into a rotating grapple head. That's my only gripe with a mini ex after having a bmg on the mini skid

Probably. They've already rebuilt some of the massive dam tear outs that we did

What's the fastest stump removal machine short of dynamite?

A 60 ton track hoe with a thumb!

One, two, three you're out!

Jomo

I might be able to use that. I'll show it to the boss. We'd have to get hose, but that's doable.

edit:
Made a quick search on used firehose, and ran across this site. They have some fun stuff...

Last edited:
That's a cool idea, Stephen.

I have not seen that and, yes... We do have access to fire hose. I'll shoot that idea to Alex... Thanks.

Back