Excavators

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
At one point, the CAT threw a track while I was out in the pond mess. Alex was able to use the Takeuchi to remove the track all the way and then walk the one-legged CAT back to shore...where he use the Hoochi to put the track back on. We knew the tensioner needed attention but did not know it was leaking down enough to slack the track. Result...thrown track. All that madness led us to learn how to rebuild the undercarriage. I'll eventually post up more picts of that process.

Here are a few of the precipating incident:
Jan 21 CAT gets stuck  (17).jpg Jan 22 CAT rescue  (45).jpg Jan 22 CAT rescue  (60).jpg Jan 22 CAT rescue  (63).jpg Jan 22 CAT rescue  (72).jpg Jan 22 CAT rescue  (82).jpg Jan 22 CAT rescue  (88).jpg Jan 22 CAT rescue  (96).jpg Jan 22 CAT rescue  (100).jpg Jan 22 CAT rescue  (108).jpg

You’re having to much fun Gary. A 320 is a good sized machine
So far it seems like the right size for us. The fellow we bought it from was using it to dig out (dredge out, like us) a pond but he wanted bigger. He got an 80K lb. Komatsu...pretty huge. This 320 is doing us good for now.

Holy smokes, fun un the mud!
Have fun with your people today and take lots of pictures! Can’t wait to see them.

I still use bamboo all the time. Two days ago we were heating the rock guard on the excavator to bend it out a bit...it dared to scratch our new track rail! We used the bucket to provide a big pull to the heated metal. I used a long bamboo to test the chain tension when I first set up the pull...had to cobble two chains together with shackles to get enough length and I was leery at first of how much they would stand. The boo was my standoff.

And I use the bamboo whenever trekking around the pond and woods...good stability for crossing streams, can pole vault as needed (not Olympic grade but useful) etc. CAT 320 rock guard repair  (1) resized.jpg CAT 320 rock guard repair  (15) resized.jpg CAT 320 rock guard repair  (23) resized.jpg CAT 320 rock guard repair  (25) resized.jpg CAT 320 rock guard repair  (27) resized.jpg CAT 320 rock guard repair  (29) resized.jpg CAT 320 rock guard repair  (30) resized.jpg CAT 320 rock guard repair  (31) resized.jpg CAT 320 rock guard repair  (32) resized.jpg CAT 320 rock guard repair  (33) resized.jpg

It was thick metal and we only moved it about a 1/2 inch...but that was enough to stop the scraping. We decided it has always been bent but the old rails were worn away and we didn't notice. With the new rail/chains for the tracks, they immediately were scraping so we had to bend it out. It took the full pull of the boom/arm bucket curl to bend it out...kind of an attention getter using that much force.

The family reunion wound down yesterday...Alex and his crew left this AM so I am solo again and should be able to get on the mud mats out in the road pond later today. mud mats  (1) resized.jpg mud mats  (2) resized.jpg mud mats  (5) resized.jpg mud mats  (10) resized.jpg mud mats  (12) resized.jpg mud mats  (13) resized.jpg

I use the bamboo whenever trekking around the pond and woods...good stability for crossing streams, can pole vault as needed (not Olympic grade but useful) etc.
What's your preferred length/height? Longer for open areas, shorter for bushwhacking?

As long as you are not tongue in cheek, full size is a lot easier for sure...resizing (downsizing is a hassle). Hate to be slacking in the tech dept.:D

Back