Electric Chainsaw feedback

Gus260

Treehouser
I was wondering if anyone has run one of the new Stihl MSA161s or any other electric saw. I am doing a research project on electric saws for school and am looking for some consumer feedback to continue my research.
Thanks for the help,
Gus

Gux: My experience is that they are still WAY underpowered, and that you are jumping through hoops to even get them outfitted with saw chain that will actually cut wood. Husq or Stihl doesn't matter. They always come with garbage semi-chisel in 325 pitch. Absolute, violently disgusting trash.

They'll be cool in like 15 years.

Welcome Gus.

You'll find a lot of info on them in an old thread or few if you search different word combinations here.

I have two of the Husky top handles and their extendable pole saw. I love using them on prune jobs where almost all of the cuts are 3 or 4 inches or less. They really shine when it's move a ways, make a cut or few, move a ways, repeat - nice to not have to pull a starter rope each time. Oh, and nice to not have to smell gas fumes.

The pole saw is one torque son of a gun. Oh, and they extend hours and conditions I can work without getting peoples ire up.

I’m very curious to see what Milwaukee brings to the market in the not too distant future.
They have a battery powered 14” cutoff/ demolition/ concrete saw that looks to be badass. If they can power that saw with batteries, I’ll bet they can do a chainsaw with a big bar.
The times they are a changin :)

So far , the main use for electrics here are cutting where you shouldn't be and making kindling out of kiln dried leftovers inside the basement ...

I have a small, $300 from Lowe's, Husqvarna rear-handle electric.

Good for working in tall brush without wind. I use it for the occasional Saturday pruning job, when neighbors are close.

Useful when interfering neighbors are near.

Bought it specifically for some neighbors if a customer who are real PITAs. One of the homeowners was yelling up the hill about me pruning my customers trees, nonsensically.

It's ok for some stuff.

Will start my daughter on it, with me holding it, too. No fumes, low noise.

This year, at almost 8, she's realized the joy of splitting short, straight kindling. Seems like a good chore to do with her.

Makita/ dolmar have gotten away from their gas powered top handle saws completely, all battery now. @RegC uses a husky one a bunch. I am (long term) considering one, lightweight and no pull starting seems like it would be handy. Use the baby electric saw at the tips then jump up to a rear handle sooner on the trunk wood. Now i use my top handle for everything 16-18 on down while in the tree. I need a midsize saw.....

Working solo, being able to double-cut with a short bar and sharp chain to flop off logs can save time/ effort over descending, swapping, and re-ascending.

Of course, watch you fuel supply.

If you can only cut little chunks, get a bigger saw. If you can dump be 10' logs, the she cutting may be worth it.

What saws are you running, now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Currently, I have an Echo 2511t, Stihl ms170, and a Stihl ms261. This project I pushing me towards purchasing a battery saw vs a larger climbing saw but the more I research the more I become more undecided. So many pros and cons.

Battery saws are ok, I have a Husky, compared to the Echo 2511 it’s heavy, so it’s out of favour.

They're good, but not AS good.

We have a Stihl which we intended for use by the chipper only.
It really shines for that.
When that stupid forked branch won't go through the rollers, pick up the saw, cut, set it down again.
Wonderful.

To my mind, a battery saw is best when you need to make numerous quick cuts, with periods of rest in between. Cutting ends at a mill, an atv trail saw, maybe a homeowner who doesn't need a saw much... Something you can grab, cut, and put it back down. For heavy use most of the day, I think gas would be better.

Even with state-of-the art battery tech I can’t see them supplanting a 70cc 2-stroke with a 28” b/c for a long time if ever as the weight wood be excessive .... just can’t beat a 2-stroke for powa ... Especially if ported ! Another strike against electric is that some ppe is rendered useless ... for ex chaps will not stop the chain of an electric motor! Too much torque

I'll cut as little as possible in the tree, especially trunk wood, so using my climbing saw (dolmar 3410th) isn't the end of the world. The problem is my next saw is a dolmar 7910 :lol: i run either a 24 or 32 on it, usually 24 for most stuff. So i go from 35 cc to 80cc. I'm thinking a 50 cc would be about perfect, it's in the cards once i get some cash.

I do my damage on terra-firma ... for use guys that are up in the tree slashing away maybe electric is a better choice for ya ??? I just can’t see myself with the STIHL or Husqvarna E1000 -electric powered saw ... NO powerband , all torque plus it’s gotta weigh a ton with a battery that provides the equivalent of 7.0 hp+ of a 660 or 395xp let alone the 8.5 hp+ when modded - Ymmv

Also depends on what chain also.
The Stihl 71 series micro mini needs so much less power.
My 150t cuts way out of its weight class with that chain.

Bought the DeWalt 20v max chainsaw a while back. Very pleased with it. On small green wood it's handy as heck. Carry it on the quad for the all to frequent limb thats fallen in my trail, grab it and cut, to easy.
Last year I cut back 1000' of trees growing into the field, all small 3-4" max and cut the overhanging limbs back. Done over 2-3 week period when I had time, I used the DeWalt and my Stihl pole pruner, thats it.

Only complaint is the DeWalts use of bar oil, it's stupid excessive, no reason for it.

Ed

My new Kobalt saw barely puts out oil, but it does put out some. I could probably get 5 4Ah batteries per tank.

Had a chance tonight to use the Milwaukee 18v chainsaw.....it's no toy. Cut through a 12' red oak block in short order.

I can see a use for this saw for anyone.

Makes my DeWalt look like a toy

Ed

Problem today is not to find products, it's to find best product for the use intended.
To find out what options there is is easy, but to know what option that is best for you is harder.

Fuel saws are hard to beat. Even though they are worse now than 20-30 years ago...

Battery saws still have a bit to go. When they are better, lighter, cheaper than fuel saws they will be an option.
For consumer use, garden use occasional use its ok I guess.
But running them in firewood pile or professional use they leave you wanting still.

Electric saws with cord is a good option for some users. Often not in thoughts when they look at saws today.

Hydraulic saws is also an option few can be really happy with, but for some its the best choice.

Battery saws have completely replaced gas saws for me in the smaller line up. Just so much more pleasant to use. Cant see ever going back to pulling cords.

This thread got me thinking of battery, but I don't think a top handle would work for me. Too heavy, and if I take the batteries out to distribute weight, I'm back to fooling with something to get a saw running. I'm not exactly the target market for small top handles, and I use them atypically, but right now, battery isn't a good fit.

Back