Electric Chainsaw feedback

Renewable green energy: the trees have generated potential energy when they grew, so shoot a line up a big tree before falling it, wind the other end of the line around the shaft of a generator, and as the tree falls it will run the generator for a few seconds charging a supercapacitor which then charges a few batteries.

If you attached it to gears and a heavy flywheel, you could fall the tree in slow motion. First tree of the day would provide power for falling the rest of them :^P

Yah , Upon further review and taking into consideration certain aspects of production (saw itself and battery; generation of electricity to charge the battery ) it appears that the “battery-powered chainsaw” isn’t quite the panacea that most think it is , especially from the “green” aspect ... In fact one could make the argument that a newer model strato-charged 2-stroke (less emissions/fuel usage than old school designs) is actually less polluting than a battery saw over its lifespan all things considered ! A modded saws’ emissions vary widely depending on the skill of the builder of course ... some “ported” saws I’ve run will use 1 tank of fuel to 1/2 tank of oil ! and that’s tuned dead-nuts ! ... I’m a firm believer in the more air/more torque philosophy when it comes to a worksaw not these gas hog / mosquito-foggers that some thump their chest about .... At the end of the day The FASTEST saw is the one that cuts the MOST WOOD using the LEAST amount of fuel

Oiler screw on bottom set to max (pro saws only) ... when Stock some models would run out of oil before they ran out of fuel ! Some ported saws I’ve run by “other” builders will run out of fuel with 1/2 tank of oil left with the Oiler screw set to Max ! ... Ol Frankie has done his homework here and I know exactly wtf I’m talkin bout... “race-style” porting on a worksaw ain’t gonna be very fuel-efficient and definitely ain’t gonna last as long ! That’s the Fact Jack ! Err Nutball

Neither of my Stihls run out of oil. They're kinda stingy. I'd like to see more oil flow.

the truck alternator does a pretty good job of keeping batteries charged. It is absolutely a cheap route to go regardless of green. I guesss depending on how much you drive. I have thought about getting a solar charging set up from the RV store but have not put that project together yet. today 25 DBH Siberian elm removal. All electric with three cuts with the 441.

Yea, I imagine you can. I don't really like playing with motors if I can help it though. I just tell myself "Stihl knows what they're doing, and deems the oil rate acceptable", and think happy thoughts, but I'd still like to see more oil. Imo, it should be adjustable from [off] to [ridiculous].

the truck alternator does a pretty good job of keeping batteries charged. It is absolutely a cheap route to go regardless of green. I guesss depending on how much you drive. I have thought about getting a solar charging set up from the RV store but have not put that project together yet. today 25 DBH Siberian elm removal. All electric with three cuts with the 441.
Which make / model of electric saw are you using and what is the bar length on it ? And do you have any videos of it cutting ?

Yea, I imagine you can. I don't really like playing with motors if I can help it though. I just tell myself "Stihl knows what they're doing, and deems the oil rate acceptable", and think happy thoughts, but I'd still like to see more oil. Imo, it should be adjustable from [off] to [ridiculous].
I will say that my ported Husqvarna 395xp definitely puts out more oil than my ported 660 with oil screws maxed out in both saws ...32” bar is np for the 660 though with stock Oiler ...The 660 does offer a high volume oil pump retrofit if needed and comes standard with the full wrap option iirc ... In my neck of the woods a 24” bar handles 95% of the work with a 32” or even a 36” for big silver-maples on occasion ...ymmv

I don't know if my 661 has the high output oiler or not. Normal handle, but the oiler had a set pin you punch in to get "turbo mode". I have it turned all the way up, and it's a little dry with my 36" bar. The 25" is better, but it doesn't get as wet as my echoes.

The pin is on the 462c also ... when driven in it simply allows the oil adj screw to rotate completely giving max oil

Stihl top handled 12 inch and still back handled 14 inch.
To each his own ... the electric husqvarna I tried was a lemon imho compared to a ported gas saw . .. 241c insane-0 (42cc gas) , my robot-chain ... I’ve built another personal 241c hotwoods with a tuned intake that’ll put the hurt on the insane-0 ...

I don't know if my 661 has the high output oiler or not. Normal handle, but the oiler had a set pin you punch in to get "turbo mode". I have it turned all the way up, and it's a little dry with my 36" bar. The 25" is better, but it doesn't get as wet as my echoes.
I pushed in my oiler pin, using it for milling and longer bar antics. You can still dial it back. My old echo was sloppy oily.

I saw only one chainsaw running out of oil before the gas, among the few I encountered. It was an old (and ill) Stihl 010AV owned by a friend ("as you know the chainsaws, can you do something for this ?"). So much oil, that it could drench your shoes. It had a membrane oil pump, actuated by the low engine's pressure, like the gas pump in the carburetors. The membrane holds a little pin, which is the piston sucking/pushing the oil, even at idle of course. The problem was that there was nothing to limit precisely the stroke (lost or disintegrated?). So it went full blast at each move. I cut some tiny washers in different plastic packagings and put them on the piston, between the membrane and the aluminum housing. A few trials gave the right thickness to give enough oil but not too much.

I know the poulans from 10 years ago used a continuous oil pump, and the Echo 303t does too. It will continue to pump at idle, then fling a globb off the chain when you give it gas. the Echo was adjustable.

One of my Husqvarna bli 200 batteries finally died last week. Supposed to be good for 1000 charges. This one only had an estimated 25 to 30 as it was rotated with 3 other batteries. It has a 3 year warranty. Mailed it back. Supposed to have a new one on the way. We'll see how it goes. It's the first and only trouble with an electric saw I've in a year and a half.

I run my 80cc dolmar at about a half tank of gas to ensure i don't run out of oil, as i have the oil pegged for my 32 inch bar. Some like it wet..... :/:

One of my Husqvarna bli 200 batteries finally died last week. Supposed to be good for 1000 charges. This one only had an estimated 25 to 30 as it was rotated with 3 other batteries. It has a 3 year warranty. Mailed it back. Supposed to have a new one on the way. We'll see how it goes. It's the first and only trouble with an electric saw I've in a year and a half.
I'd only expect 300-500 strong cycles, but I've never counted on any of my non chainsaw batteries

STIHL claims up to 1200 charging cycles with the Pro designation ... whether that passes muster idk ... I’ll stick with gas-powered for now 😂

Back