Changing bar tip

treesmith

Banned
I've done it several times, but it's been YEARS since I did....what's the best/appropriate way to change a bar tip? Seems I drove the rivets out with a punch once, and I have drilled them out. Is either "acceptable"? I bought a Granberg mill and accidentally clamped the nose piece too close to the tip, which wrecked the bearings. I happened to have a replacement tip laying around from years ago, and need to get them swapped out.

I usually drill them out, or at least drill enough that they are easy to punch out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's what I thought, but it's probably been near 20 years since I changed one. Next question...where can you buy replacement rivets? The spare tip I have was acquired in an unusual manner. I ordered a Windsor bar from Bailey's with a .325 tip (years ago). They sent one with a .375. I called them, and their solution was just to send me the correct tip if I could change them out. I never bothered, so I still have the spare tip, as well as the .375 still on a new bar, which I need to remove with no damage....so I can re-install it on another bar.

I usually get then from my dealer.
Bailey's might be able to help you out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Bud! I've been around. Lotsa times I browse without signing in and posting. Been busy.

Thanks Stig!

IIRC some bars are marked on one side to indicate the side to be driven from/ toward.

I feel like my 36" Oregon had an "x". Been 5 years.

Oregon bars have a x on one side, as far as I know they are the only make to do that, all other makes you can drive the rivet out in either direction.

Oregon bars have a x on one side, as far as I know they are the only make to do that, all other makes you can drive the rivet out in either direction.
That's correct Peter. The X on the Oregon Powermatch bars is in the up position and hammer the punch from that side.
I have reused the rivets , trick is to drive them out dead center . I will lay the bar on top of a stump or on the end of a upright standing firewood round and drive the rivet into the wood. Then dig out the rivet with my scrench.
The rivet has to be 're peened on a solid anvil or chunk of steel

Man I hate posting with my stupid Android. Always have to go back and edit what it feels right how to spell something:big-shifty:

Back