Carhartt vest

treesmith

Banned
Not sure where to put this...so I'll try here. I've been contemplating trying a Carhartt vest for climbing. I start out in a sweatshirt over a T-shirt, then quickly get hot in the tree, sail the sweat out to the ground, then start getting cold again. Seems impossible to keep the body temp regulated. Anyone climbing/working in a vest? Seems it might solve the problem.

Used to. Lost mine. Vests are great. Warms the core but allows your arm full mobility with a little ventilation as you build too much heat.

I don't use one for climbing, but for just about anything else.
I love it for logging on chilly days.

Down vests are light and come in different weights of down. My old LL. Bean one is a little over the hill, but still works. I know when I am getting hot, but not yet cooking like in a jacket.

Yup, vests are indispensable, get a synthetic-filled one so it is good in precip on occasion, and I would get nylon outer cuz cloth or fleece will collect sawdust like a mofo.

Vests rule!

I like climbing with a vest in cooler weather.
Noticed a cool looking vest at the Pferd / vp fuel booth at Expo today; orange hi viz with chainsaw cut protection.

I wear an insulted Carhartt vest to work in in the winter, it stays in my work truck, if you start to get a little to warm just un zip it and you'll cool down quick, and the mobility is nice. I've never climbed in it though seems like a good idea.

We just bought a stack of Arborear midweight vests.
They are very nice, I must say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ordered one today. Should be here by Tuesday. It's worth a shot. Started out in my sweatshirt today. Soaked with sweat shortly thereafter. Then it started raining. By the time I called it quits, I was rather chilly!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha! Yep, but I like the fact that they wear somewhat close to the body and don't hang. I have never liked climbing in a coat or jacket. The sleeves make me feel bound up.

Back