Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

I feel that the cursing tends to loosen up the snag, but that's just me. ;) Well, that and pulling at different angles.

Some of my best advancements in climbing were forced on me by stuck throwlines. When this happens, you have to climb to get it back.

IMG_4403 (Small)noted.jpg

Well I used to be a baseball pitcher and I just needed a. Little heavier weight.. I used a padlock tied to a throw line it worked amazingly. It really got up there

Arborist learning the ropes

Thanks for all of the tips. I have a beginners question I would like to throw at ya.

How do you pull trees (with a come along, vehicle, winch, etc) and how do you attach the rope to the pulling device? What I have done in the past is get the rope up on the tree (about 2/3 the height) with a throw line, tie it with a running bowline and cinch it down. Then I tie an alpine butterfly and attach a come along hook directly to the alpine and cut, crank, drop. Is that recommended or should I attach the come along a different way? Thanks, JayT

Best way is to shoot the rope through a solid crotch, then tie it off at the trunk about head high, taking a few wraos around the trunk, then use a friction device like a Port-A-Wrap to hook it to the pulling agent.

That way you avoid knots that weaken the line and have the added benefit of having wraps around the trunk to help you avoid barberchairing, if you make a fat hinge for extra security.

Does this answer make sense to you?

If not, let me know, and I'll try to elaborate.

Agree with Stig, and Peter. Using a continuous rope puller removed the knot from the pull-side. Use a bowline on a bight instead of an alpine butterfly. Using a "tensionless anchor" at head high, as Stig says.

Stig- That does make sense and the next job I wanted to try that technique. But have 2 questions with that. 1. will the tree pull center if you throw the line over a branch and base tie? Hard to say but will it try to "twist" when it starts to fall. 2. How do you attach the porty to a truck or piece of machinery? I have a dead eye to attach to a tree, just not sure how to attach to equipment.

Raj- I looked at that and it looks awesome. My only concern is its rated at 1500lbs. My come along is 4 tons. I afraid I will be pulling a leaner and it will slip. Ever have that happen?

Thanks, JayT

I've only been in situations where I'd top and brush the tree, if it's a heavy leaner, I'd chunk it down, but I sometimes leave some branches to favour the intended direction of fall. Add a pulley you have 3000lb pull. It's not an answer for every situation, but it's the answer for the ones I find myself in. If I've been concerned then I'll also use wedges and another pull line. I try to bring things down small, as I usually don't work with any sort of trained ground crew.

I just use a logging chain or whatever piece of serious iron hardware I have handy through the part of the Porty where you normally tie it to the tree..
If you just keep the line close to the trunk as it goes over bthe branch, it won't twist the tree or pull it off line.
I pull hundreds of ttrees each year, logging, and always use this tecnique, unless I can't find a branch union strong enough, then I cinch it.

I also use a full gap/block face for pull trees, to ensure my hinge holds as long as possible.

Chris, for what it's worth, my first doug for removal was in a rock climbing harness, and two ropes, adjusted with clove hitches. What took me two days, then, with a small back handle saw, that met its maker on day one (lanyard came untied, finished with HOs electric corded saw), and my ms361, would be a couple hours of work now.

Ha I tell customers that all the time, "It's just like a mouse eating an elephant, one bite at a time".

Back