Australian skyscrapers in the SoCal desert.

Those cracks in the bark are ok, it splits as they increase in girth.
Some of those big ones in your pictures would be on their way to becoming habitat trees here, hollows for parrots and possums and microbats. 80-100 years to naturally have dead stuff and hollows.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The bluegum, E. globus, in my region and pruned like that would grow back fine. in 30 40 years most people wouldn't know it was ever trimmed. Probably look good too.
05413BBD-B9F3-48B2-88FC-454FAE596079.jpeg Drove by my buddy’s old place on the way to look at removing some eucs at his new place. New owners has his huge red gum pruned (narrowed canopy) but IMO they should have also cut it back to where it was cut before…the new suckers/shoots/limbs break off if allowed to get too long…

…the yard is just big enough to drop them. My lift is not tall enough to piece them down. (How would a climber do it?) I think it will be time for the Midline Log trick since Euc doesn’t hinge and I don’t have room to drive. Maybe triple hinge too. The two on the right aren’t much risk but the one on the left hangs over the fence 180° to the lay.

A clinometer app is useful for measuring accurately.

On flat ground, 45⁰ works easily.

On a slope, you need a bit of easy math and measuring from the base to your angle- measuring point.

A clinometer app is useful for measuring accurately.

On flat ground, 45⁰ works easily.

On a slope, you need a bit of easy math and measuring from the base to your angle- measuring point.
I just bend over and look through my legs 😆

A tree guy/logger buddy told me that trick…I haven’t actually used it yet but it usually coincides with the stick trick.

Blue is fence

Red is pump house

Olive is winch truck locations

Of course green is the lays, about where I sticked them to, maybe a little shy.
4CDFE679-2B2F-42B3-9446-A9A70A74BC39.jpeg

View attachment 128730Drove by my buddy’s old place on the way to look at removing some eucs at his new place. New owners has his huge red gum pruned (narrowed canopy) but IMO they should have also cut it back to where it was cut before…the new suckers/shoots/limbs break off if allowed to get too long…
That's a disaster waiting to happen.

Other than pranking the new guy, I can't see any circumstance where that trick is used, that doesn't have me walking away and not looking back. Please don't do that during the quote. "Well, let me bend over and see if the tree is gonna fit."

As souple as I am, I'd have 10 times the length of the tree if I use your trick.
A while ago, I had the 45° angle just by tilting my head all the way back and looking straight forward ( eyes in relaxed mode, not so easy to do). No sticks or clinometer needed. But now, with the aging of my neck, I lost the accuracy of the angle and can't rely on it.

Back