Arbormaster VS. Poision Ivy

top_notch

Treehouser
Getting a new rope soon and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two, but I can't decide which one would be best for me. Mostly I climb ddrt, and footlock the tail to get up into the tree. I would like to eventually try srt (why I would like the PI) but don't have any of the gear yet. I've only had Trueblue so I don't have too much to compare to. I do however like the thickness of the trueblue, so I wonder if the PI will be too skinny for me. Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.:)

I went through a phase where I climbed on skinny ropes for a couple years. Then one day I realized that the rope was slowing me down, hindering my ability to get around the tree. Pulling myself up (something we do a couple hundred times per day) was making my hands hurt all the time. When I finally went back to Arbormaster it was enlightening just how much easier climbing could be.

If you've never owned a skinny rope then I suggest you try it. Not just a day or two but a few months. Then try the Arbormaster again.

Two totally different ropes. If you like the 1/2"diameter, then the slim 24-strand is going take some getting used to. Also a lot of difference in quality between Yale and Samson. I would wait a little bit and pick up the 1/2" Velocity that will be out soon.

It's a great 24-strand climb line. ;)

I've climbed on both...in fact these are my two favorite ropes. I find the difference that 0.7mm thicker the PI is over all those 11mm is quite noticable, it really is easier to grip than Blaze, for example.

Blue Streak is easier still, but I've been happy enough with the PI. The lighter weight of the PI is a real advantage in longer lengths, and I usually need a lifeline no shorter than 150'.

It's hard to find a better DRT rope than Blue Streak and it's other Arbormaster brothers. For SRT, PI fits the majority of ascenders just fine, so if you go both ways, it's a better choice.

For a dedicated SRT line, I'd go for something 10-11mm...like Sterling full static HTP.

Butch is right about the color issue.

The color issue is easily fixed.
Get a Bluemoon instead of a PI. Same rope, better color.

I love my PI performancewise, but hated the color. Bluemoon took care of that.

Butch is right, a green rope is just plain stupid!

I currently have Arbormaster and dislike it. I'm with everyone else on the thickness thing: Half-inch just grips better period. Then again, Irish Joe now prefers the skinny stuff, and he climbs with a hang-over better than I'll ever climb on my best day. I much prefer the safety-blue stuff--forgot the company:|:--to the Arbmaster. It is much suppler, and stays that way longer even if it holds about a grand less. The safety-blue stuff might even be just a hair-bit heavier as well. I know it's just the slightest hair thinner as well, whatever the specs might say.

If you get skinny rope, I'd try out that new weird stuff that has all the raised bumps on it for ergonomics, but then, I'm always a sucker for new stuff.

safety blue is made my new england. the safty blue refers to the blue inner core that acts as a safety if you cut into the core. it comes in plain white, orange/white and a limegreen/white.

Every rope has it's place and every place has it's rope.

If you go with the P.I. or Blue Moon line you will probably like it. I feel it works better for your foot locking than Arbormaster. Probably not the only one that feels that way. I do not like how a bee line prussic behaves on it. So there in will be a difference that will require some dialing in. I too have climbed on the True Blue and still do. I just prefer it's supple feel and knotting ability at times. I fly mostly on Arbormaster because I like the 1/2 stiffer rope for my SRT set up. I fly on PI as well. Some of my preferences in climb lines changes for different bark types/tree species. P.I or True Blue I won't use on a gray pine, Arbormaster hold up better. Less picking. PI and pitch don't mix well either IMO.
True Blue for natural crotching in live oaks is great.
Like anything... you will find your own personal like and dial them in to your own style or performance. Both lines are awesome for climbing. Arbormaster does tend to get heavy when you start dragging around 150' plus of it in a tree.
I agree about the green thing and when I replace my PI I will probably buy the Blue Moon...
PI gets the Ultra Tech cord for my prussic and My Arbormaster gets the Beeline, HRC or Bailout. Mostly Beeline as I love my eye 2 eye prussics from Nick.
I lean more towards a 1/2 line because it is easier on my hands for grip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow!!! Thanks everybody for the input!!! Although I'm still not sure. I think I will get the Bluemoon, but I worry about my hands. I guess I'll have to think about it some more. Anyone use Ice for prussic rope?

Going from a cushy line like true blue to a skinny blue moon will be a shock to you hands, stick with it for awhile to give it a fair shake

I have some Icetail, and it's a good choice if you like a limp, soft prussic cord that'll grab really quick and solid, but might not tend or advance quite so well. It's not to my taste. Like Stephen, I find Ultratech a great combination with PI.

Use grippy gloves like Atlas blue or grey, or similar...look at the nitrile versions for a really fine tuned level of dexterity joined with great grip and good wear characteristics. That will help alot when using the thinner lines.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you get skinny rope, I'd try out that new weird stuff that has all the raised bumps on it for ergonomics, but then, I'm always a sucker for new stuff.

Saw that stuff; Imori is what I think you're talking about...Yikes! it's expensive! $199 for 150 ft!

Like Burnham says, I use the grippy, vice grip like atlas blue gloves, with the tenex eye and eye,
which makes the whole knot a little bigger than like a thin beeline or technora.

I still have tons of new england safety blue, I use on occasion, mainly gooey trees,
rubber trees, pitchy monterey's in summer, where I don't wanna muck it up.

Back