The Tree House loves TreeStuff!

anyone using spliced hitch cord?

biggun

Monkey for Hire
I just had a look and there is no rope in the garage as I am at my dads house. Other wise I was gonna try and do a vid.

in the basic sense. Tie off one end to a cleat on the trailer or whatever. In your right hand take a bight in the rope wherever it looks like it needs to be. With the left hand take the tail of the rope and pass it twice clockwise around the bight. Making sure the second turn is inside the first. This forms a loop. Pass another bight loop through and then put under a cleat on the side you are working and then tension using the tail of the rope, tie off with a half hitch and it will stay tight under load. Throw the whole rope over the load and repeat.

The beauty of it IMO the first Bight can be positioned anywhere and quickly untied and moved if needed.

when it comes to undoing the rope there are no knots to undo spart from the half hitches uses to tied the load down to the cleats.

It would probably be easier in a vid but don’t have any rope at hand.

lxskllr

Treehouser
Ok, I think I might have it. I'm playing with some paracord, and it looks like the loop size is adjustable when tied correctly? IOW, before everything is tensioned, the loop can be easily made larger/smaller by adjusting the running end.

Tree09

Treehouser
But you have to be able to slip a bight over the anchor, right? I think i have a picture of what you're explaining, I think it's in one of my knot books. While we're talking truckers hitch variations, there's an auto locking version that collapses into a blackwall hitch that is really cool.

Brocky

Treehouser
A yes vote for spliced hitch cords.
Single braids are the easies, they stay flexible because there’s no cover being stiffened due to expansion.
Some cords have accommodating covers that can expand like the blue one in picture, NER’s PolyTech.
The cover between the eyes can be made baggy for greater flexibility and it also grabs more reliably.
A larger diameter cover sewn on the end of regular cover, top right, or a smaller than normal core with the slack captured between the eyes, the other two have a 3mm core in a 7mm and 8mm covers.
The pretzel on bottom is another concept, a continuous loop of 1.75mm Vectran, threaded through the cover and eyes to make three smaller loops, so six strands are between the eyes. It gives a consistent diameter and flexibility from eye to eye, can have nearly zero length legs.
128A7B0E-DF1A-44D8-9BAC-3868D532AAF6.jpeg

The Tree House Loves TreeStuff!