Anyone still using the APTA?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
100 psi will go over any of my 85 ft trees. If i need to lower it I will check the pressure. That causes it to loose about 4 or 5 psi with each check with my particular gage. I have a little wal mart electric compressor that plugs in the cigarette lighter that will get to 100 psi in 50 seconds and 120 psi in 2 minutes. I can't see needing any more than that around here. It's way more accurate than I thought would be.

... It's way more accurate than I thought would be.

That's great to hear, Ben. With in the field use time and experimentation, I firmly believe this type of laser equipped APTA has no equal in both accuracy and complex line setting potential.

I noticed how much the green dot moves when I open the valve while holding it like a gun. I started sitting it on the ground and it doesn't move near as much.
During Army rifle marksmanship in basic training, we spent a few hours a day in prone position on the ground, balancing dimes on a cleaning rod hanging out the end of the muzzle. Eventually almost everyone was able to dry fire their rifles without dropping their dime.
I think you could do something very similar with that green laser as the indicator. Don’t even need to charge it at first, just keep at it until you can open the valve without moving the green dot.
Having never handled one, I can’t say for sure it’ll work, but it probably would.

If I get that that accurate I'll be able to shoot out the dead wood without even having to climb.
Ive done this in a pinch.......
HO..."I know you are finished for the day, but do you see this dead branch over here, its just out of my reach and I fear someday, little johnny will get hit in the head with it.

Me... no problem

Hand throws or big shot, isolate limb, run rope up. Attatch to mini if needed. Pop.

There, all fixed. Called fractal pruning sir. Good for the critters that need the dead wood and little johnny is safe from his 1:1000000 chance of getting whacked.

So have I.
Once I almost pulled an oak behind a bus stop over, from being too lazy to climb it and doing it that way, and WAY underestimating the force needed to break the branch.

We were pulling with a forwarder as usual.

The release handle protects the valve stem. Never smashed my right hand.

The laser looks like a great upgrade, but fragile, for my current, shove it in method of storage.
Bet you could mount a cheap picatinny rail on and put the laser somewhere where it’ll be better protected during transport.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll probably get a plastic gun case for it. I have a cheap one from wal mart for several other guns that has lasted a long time. I have hit the bottom side of several limbs with the bag and it shoots back pretty hard.

... I have hit the bottom side of several limbs with the bag and it shoots back pretty hard.

It is good to remember that the laser's green dot marks the center of where the bore is pointing not necessarily where the bag will hit. Unlike on a firearm where the dot gets adjusted to mark the point of the bullet's impact at various set distances. Shooting on the horizontal, projectile arc is very consistent. Shooting at sharp upward angles not so much.

With practice, you will automatically adjust for range and trajectory by holding your mark higher or lower than your intended target.

Yeah so I've owned an apta since shortly after they first came out. Used it for the first time OTJ a couple weeks ago. Weather was cold and the big shot tried and failed (despite warming etc) to get a line high up in a huge oak. Busted out the apta, filled it to only a lil over 100lbs with the bucket truck air, shot a bean bag poorly due to poor fit, so added one small thin rag in the barrel and then the bean bag, and the shot worked great. Reloaded and hit the high crotch (probably about 75') on first try, newish climber wraptored up and took out the large deadwood. Woulda been screwed without the apta. Have since bought a bike pump to achieve psi in the 150 range.

Used mine a few days ago to set a high pull line in an oak we took down. If the target crotch/limb is simple I'll try a few throws...sometimes throws are all I need. But if it starts getting ridiculous to keep throwing I'll get the APTA. It's consistently accurate.

I had to use mine the other day after four failed throws at a specific limb, (with several limbs running pass interference). Actually hung the bag and broke the line on the third throw. Broken out a backup for another heroic effort. The APTA set it with ease...into the third tree beyond. I have learned with the APTA...do NOT grab/step on the line to stop it quickly. It’s moving fast enough the snub will make it wrap anything nearby...multiple times.

Last edited:
Back