Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

Look back in the thread at pics of mine, about 3mm cord inside a stiff piece of tubing. Works good...better than my picture-taking, for sure :D.

I've got the treestuff tether and it does get bunched up and messes with the biner. Smaller cord and a snug knot seems like a winner.

For me anyways the eye on the tether gets hung up on the little screw head thats on the side of the hh so when I step up it gets hung up and causes a jerky tending response. Also if u try to push the eye too close to the hh it'll get beat up a little and move into the slot and I think it interferes with the biner sitting down all the way and engaging. I noticed this after my hitch cord turned black after a slow decent.

I'm using a bit of skinny accessory cord, double fishermans on each side so that keeps it snug...I wouldn't change the biner from what is supplied, it has been manufactured to those tolerances and specs for that shape. Just keep experimenting with your tether, I think treestuff is selling a custom one now...or it might have been wesspur, can't remember...

5mm Tech Cord tied as such, with some stiffening tape. A DdRT clip-in point, and hitch tender clip loop.

Here's my setup on the central point of my Sequoia SRT.
I replaced the biner by a big delta link to reduce the tendency of the HH flopping sideway. It doesn't avoid it completely in DdRT when slack tending, but it work well enough during the ascent in SRT. I have still a little work to do on it.
Hitchhicker1.jpg
The HH is sideway, taking the place of the Croll in my previous setup (which I always use time to time). The small delta link can hold the both at the same time.
The leash biner acts as the tether, clipped into my shoulder web sling. A little mod I did since the pics : I connect the leash biner to the delta link with a small cord ring, a little more suppleness to avoid puncturing myself in the chest.

A nice point is that the delta link has room to clip the splice's biner in DdRT.
Hitchhicker2.jpg

Oops, sorry for the size of the pics.
Butch, can you reduce them ? thanks.

Marc-Antoine, can you use a biner at the bottom instead of a screw gate delta? That ability is very useful to me when advancing my rope.

y6azy7e9.jpg
yny6e4u7.jpg
see how the cord is bunched up between the HH and biner. The cord slides down on one side of the biner and when you ascend it will cock the biner sideways.

Bermy, where did you get the HH from, Treestuff? Any import taxes etc.
J8)

I got mine directly from Paul - PCTree. I actually picked it up on my way through the States, but as long as anything you order from away is under $1000AUD there are no duty or import taxes for Australia...'go for yer life!'

TreeStuff definitely has them though and Treehousers get a discount

Innit! Make sure you click through to the Tree Stuff site from here on the logo at the top, I think it means Butch gets some jelly beans.

Marc-Antoine, can you use a biner at the bottom instead of a screw gate delta? That ability is very useful to me when advancing my rope.
Yes, A biner can be used very well instead, but I prefer the small delta link for two reasons : first, the delta is shorter, so the HH is a little lower and matches better with my shoulder sling. Second, the central point on the saddle is made by two crossed web slings, so I like the idea to put a flat connector in it instead of a round one, less wear on the sling's sides, you see. That's why I can't put directly the big delta without the small one, the bend radius is way too tight.
But ideally, I'd like to find a rectangular biner or at least a rectangular screw link.

Screwing and unscrewing the big link is a bit annoying, but I don't do it many time in a day. Removing the HH during the climb is quite rare for me.
I open the small delta only to put the Croll on it, when I use an access rope in the big trees, it isn't often.

Thought so, I'd find that a PITA to pass through natural redirects when I'm taking the system off my harness.
J8)

I've just started using the exact same thing with the Pinto pulley and it is a pain to unclip/clip to pass it through natural redirects. I loved just throwing the whole thing through a fork then easily clipping in again. However, during the last couple of months i've started clove hitching onto the branch to make the redirect static and by avoiding slack between this and the TIP, can reduce the compression on the redirect branch.
It uses up a lot of rope so you need to be mindful of that but it's actually quicker and easier than unclipping etc (even without the Pinto).

Clipping in with the bat rig is painless.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N7zFyruc9zw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey thanks for posting that JMcc. I have the Pinto and haven't used it much but will have to give it a try like that.

Hey! Great little video clip. Thanks for posting that.
I think I already mentioned I use the bat rig plate and love it. I still need to try my HH with that pulley for tending..... :thumbup::D

I've just started using the exact same thing with the Pinto pulley and it is a pain to unclip/clip to pass it through natural redirects. I loved just throwing the whole thing through a fork then easily clipping in again. However, during the last couple of months i've started clove hitching onto the branch to make the redirect static and by avoiding slack between this and the TIP, can reduce the compression on the redirect branch.
It uses up a lot of rope so you need to be mindful of that but it's actually quicker and easier than unclipping etc (even without the Pinto).

See what your saying, but for that last descent when you just wanna bail out the tree, think this would annoy me. Haven't got my HH yet so can't comment to much. But when it arrives in a couple of weeks time :) I'll have more of an understanding.
J8)

Back