460 with a 36

sierratree

TreeHouser
Anyone have experience using a 460 with 36" bar? Can it take the heat?

I don't think so. I even started a thread somewhere (Too Frigging Long!) about that. 36" needs a 066/whutnot pulling it.

In the woods we ran 32 and 36" on 44 and 46's, i've never seen a shorter bar than 32" on a 46 on any logging job fwiw

In hardwoods I run a 30in with a 660 & a 20in on the 440 & 460.Stepping it up for softwoods is normal but a 36in on a 460 is too much for me. Not only would you hammer the saw but the drag would reduce chainspeed & torque in the cut. Poor cutting performance can be less than safe

I find these bar length discussions interesting because there are so many opinions. I do prefer a larger saw myself for hardwoods but have cut many large trees with a 46 and 36" bar. I do run run a 28" on my slightly modded 460 now but thats because I have a bigger selection of saws and they are nearly always closer to the job than when we worked in the woods so tossing the right saw in is usually not to out of the way.

FWIW I run a 32" on an 038 Mag which is pepped up a tad bit .No problem .Keep in mind though that it's only 4 cc's smaller than an 046 plus it's souped .

However in clarification as a general rule in these parts an 046 is usually 24 and 36" is 066 stuff .

28" in hardwood, 36" in soft. I've seen a stock one buried in Oak with a 32, it was painful to watch! I'll run mine with a 32" in Hedge, but there is little on it that's stock!
It's like taking a Husky 455 and running a 24 in Oak, sure it can do it, but how long, and do you really want to be there that long?

046/32" seemed ok on this job, pull trees on the edge of a twenty foot drop The critic didn't say much, so I guess it was acceptable. Actually, that might be a 36" on there, I don't recall.

Attachments

• Ikusakacliffjob0036 copy.jpg
    Ikusakacliffjob0036 copy.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Ikusakacliffjob0041 copy.jpg
    Ikusakacliffjob0041 copy.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 3
It may sound have to believe but Rick from Pa has an 044 that was souped by Dan Henry he pulls a 36" with .I ran the thing a few years back and it does pretty good . I mean right through about 40 inchs of hard log buried to the hilt and never missed a beat .Surprised me .

I think one thing that somewhat skews these bar length/ power discussions, is that we European tend to forget that you run skip chain on them in America.

I ran skip a few times. I feel it is better utilized on long bars in softwoods such as cedar and redwood. I've heard they tend to get chip bound a little more than other softwoods.

The only western softwood I've ever cut was Douglas-fir and Lodgepole up in northern Colorado.

For limbing, skip was too jumpy.

Until I get into anything where I need longer than the 28", I'll stick to full comp. Smooth cutting.

Back