ZZ and chicane vs akimbo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
methinks, replace the pole gaff for now, then get the tree gaffs down the road, although the tree gaffs are much needed, having functional spurs to start with is much more needed

Just wanna make sure we’re clear and not missing something big;
You’re using all these hitches in a DdRT / moving rope system?
You’re not using just a friction hitch in an SRT configuration, are you?

Also my vote is for Akimbo but I haven’t given either of my ZigZags much of a chance yet. One of them had a ZagWrench tether and RopeWrench on it, I just gotta get off my duff and try it out when there’s not money to be made.

Low and slow isn’t cool when you’re on the job. Groundies might pretend to fall asleep just to really twist the knife, you know.

I use Ddrt, and SRT with a homemade ropewrench

my groundie doesnt pretend, he goes full send with the sleeping

We never ever go up to 60' too see if our live holder will actually hold or not.
That's a homework affair. Stay in the 10' range, take all your time, try all you want, but find the correct answer. That's the LOW AND SLOW. It's for real, not just a saying.
THEN, after you figured out your solution, you can climb with it in a work environment.

We never ever go up to 60' too see if our live holder will actually hold or not.
That's a homework affair. Stay in the 10' range, take all your time, try all you want, but find the correct answer. That's the LOW AND SLOW. It's for real, not just a saying.
THEN, after you figured out your solution, you can climb with it in a work environment.
yeah, tie a hitch, set it, test it (Bounce on it 10-15 times) then go up 10ft, test again, OK, ropewalk to 60 and it doesnt grab even with pushing it up tight

just saying, im not stupid, I do try and make sure my life support gear is going to hold, but it continually doesnt and thats why im not going to continue to use hitches

this thread was supposed to be opinions on the akimbo vs zigzag, I see zero reason for us to talk about hitches

looking to go mech, the zigzag is tempting since its so smooth, buy the akimbo is even more tempting because 1: its so short, 2: it works SRT and DRT, and 3: its mid-line attachable, however I do hear it isn't as smooth as the ZZ and doesn't like pitch (I don't do many pines so it'll be fine)

so far I've only had bad luck with hitches, either giving me elbow issues tending or putting me into a near free-fall when they don't set
what is everyone opinion on the two?
nowhere in the original post did I ask advice on hitches, only opinions on the zigzag and chicane vs akimbo (preferably from people who have used them)

I suppose I should be clear, im not trying to be rude or a jackass, just trying to convey something while asking a question, akimbo or zigzag, and no, im not going to continue wasting time with hitches

Ok man, here's why we're talking about hitches. People have been climbing on hitches for decades. They work consistently for the majority of folks. If you're having trouble with them it would suggest something is going wrong with your tying or use of them. That's totally fine, but I would suggest digging into the issue more to find the root cause. It is absolutely not wasting time figuring out how to use hitches.

Mechanicals are great, I climb on the Bulldog Bone almost exclusively. I also know how to tie hitches, great as backup, or extra work positioning. They are an essential part of Treework and should not be skipped over

I'm not trying to be rude or an ass either, but you are still learning. This is the second thread where you've asked a question and then not entertained the ideas suggested. There is lots of knowledge to be gained here.

Also, the discussion of mechanicals is kind of impossible. There is no right answer to "what gear should I get". Some folks love there zigzag, some hate it. Same with every piece of gear. I like coffee ice cream, my pal loves chocolate, and neither of us are wrong.

I can understand why you are saying what your saying, im not an expert, I know how to use hitches, I can get a few hitches to work in a pinch but never reliably enough for me to continue to use them, and you cant bomb out of a tree on one without melting your cord, if you nick it with a silky your screwed, you nick a mech and dont even notice

yes, they all fail, the tree might fail, its part of the job

im not going to purposefully put my life into the hands of something I know has a history of trying to kill me

I like ascending on SRT, but upon reading my TIP

I still switch to DBRT using a 3 fingered monkeyfist hitch.

Keep it dressed properly n get er done.....

Close to 5 decades now.

Even SRT's dangerous if you don't' understand it's essentially a two part line exerting twice the force on your TIP than DBRT does.

Already put a few hotshot climber's in the ER.

Keeping it simple enough that you can tie a taut line hitch one handed can indeed save your life IME

Jomo

I like me some single up double down

been wanting to try secured footlocking, seems like a decent way to get up a tree

Ok, if you want to put this tone in the discussion ...
I know how to use hitches,
Obviously not.
and you cant bomb out of a tree on one without melting your cord,
if you nick it with a silky your screwed, you nick a mech and dont even notice
yes, they all fail, the tree might fail, its part of the job
It looks like shitty arguments to me.

I went from using a Blake's hitch to a ZZ when they first came out. 11.7mm Yale ropes. IMG_3180.jpg
Am still using the 2nd iteration that replaced the original recalled one.
At age 60, I believe the ZZ has prolonged my career. Treework is all I do, both for my own business, and occasional contract climbing. 95% removals. I kill trees.
On a spar, like today's white pine removal in photo, the ZZ functions as secondary tie in.
I dont quite understand ZZ phobia.

I went from using a Blake's hitch to a ZZ when they first came out. 11.7mm Yale ropes.View attachment 116250
Am still using the 2nd iteration that replaced the original recalled one.
At age 60, I believe the ZZ has prolonged my career. Treework is all I do, both for my own business, and occasional contract climbing. 95% removals. I kill trees.
On a spar, like today's white pine removal in photo, the ZZ functions as secondary tie in.
I dont quite understand ZZ phobia.
THIS

this is what im looking for, thank you

Long linked devise developed after Petzl started making things out of less material that is easily side loded to the point of the device Cracking.
There are better devises that hold up better that wont try to kill you.
My .02 since you asked.

Ok, if you want to put this tone in the discussion ...

Obviously not.

It looks like shitty arguments to me.
there is no discussion, I never asked about hitches, I made a statement about not liking them and the fact im switching to mechanicals

does it matter that I can or can not tie a hitch, no, no it doesnt

Long linked devise developed after Petzl started making things out of less material that is easily side loded ty o the point of the device Cracking.
There are better devises that hold up better that wont try to kill you.
My .02 since you asked.
thanks

this is one reason im leaning towards the akimbo

Back