Akimbo adjustments

Treeaddict

Treehouser
You all do a great job telling me if I’m nuts so here we go again. So far, the Akimbo seems to work well over a fairly range of adjustments and just gets better and better the more it’s fine tuned. Right now I’m really liking where it is. But, if I bounce hard I’ll drop about 1 mm. I COULD mitigate that through a bottom bollard adjustment of 1 letter but I see it as a non
issue. I figure that in 5 months when I bounce and it slips 3 mm due to device wear, then I’ll crank it down a letter (if not changed before that due to rope and weather conditions). Do any of you accept any degree of drop whatsoever?

No, but that s because I don’t use an Akimbo.

But I don’t really like any device to slip. Imagine pruning and being almost horizontal near the end of a branch. You are reaching for that growth point and you eyes are nearly popping out. The device starts creeping and you fall from your perch.

I like my device to move when I want it to move.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rich, that’s a great point. The increased pressure on the device when horizontal may in face be more than a hard bounce.

1mm is nothing.

I couldn't get a solid bite on fresh Blaze on Friday..

My rope are used almost all SRS, so wear in very slowly.

I should be sure that rope is washed off braiding wax, at least. I doubt it has been washed effectively in the field.

Idk what takes off braiding wax best.

Sean, no bite even fully adjusted to the max?! Wow! I know what you mean about low wear on srs. My newer Hyperclimb at least had foot, knee, and Unicender wear.

Maybe cycle it around a trunk a few times? Drag it behind a vehicle?

Just use your rope to break it in. Once they get fuzzed they act completely different. I really don’t get creep until I hit a less used part of my rope. My ZZ was creeping on new Yale 11.7 this week. Not a big deal in the situations I was in.
And please don’t drag it behind a vehicle. That went bye-bye when Manila ropes left scene

Dragging behind a vehicule will embed all sort of abrasive crap beetwin the fibers. That will cut the fibers later when loaded and ruin your ascender by grinding the frictions surfaces. The ropes and associated devices are hight tech machines compared to manillia rope, treat them kindly. Washing machine, cold or barely warm, with a tad of basic detergent, no softener and let it dry alone (no hot dryer). Removing the biner is a good idea:D.

Ok, ok, ok……. That’s what the question mark was for. It was a question, not a suggestion 😃.

Makes a lot of sense with the embedded materials being totally different structurally than Manila.

Back