Wood Turning

So at 'She Shed' (the offshoot of the Men's Shed movement in Australia) as part of our induction we are being instructed on the use of all the machines properly. As such, we are making an 'apprentice piece'.
A small chopping board with a hole, angle, inlay and biscuit join. You start from a rough piece of wood and progress machine by machine. So far I've used the joiner, thicknesser, dropsaw, tablesaw, drill press, bandsaw, router...and some chisels. Need to revisit the tablesaw, that thing is a bit intimidating.

The teacher is really good, a recurring theme, in between the excellent coaching, seems to be to tell you all the ways the tools and machines can maim you or kill you, ha, love it.
My piece is sitting under a table out of the way with clamps on the inlay at the moment. I'm having a blast.

I had a Coronet #1 lathe head thrown at me a few years back. I found I had some pipe that fit for the bed. Going to make a lathe to turn large diameter dowels or posts. The ones I have done before seem to get a lot of interest. Going to make a cross slide and tool post with a chain driven carriage. 20230315_161332.jpg

I’m going to want an actual lathe if I continue play around with turning. This shop smith has too much chatter. The headstock shaft is actually a quill like a drill press and the inner and outer shafts have male and female splines. Just enough play to notice. It’s still a lathe but nothing high end. The chatter makes it difficult to do fine work on large lite thin soft pieces.

1678927075319.jpeg

Archeologists have found charring in postholes under Viking dvellings.
Of course, the remains of wood in those holes was all that is left.
Look up "Trelleborg"

Back