Winter bucket truck traction

I just meant on the subject of "snow". You get less of it there than I get here. A couple inches of snow around here shuts down everything.

i believe you have your answer

hey how do the chains do in mud?
i might have a job over a class 1 river that would need a boom on to save on climbing
and there are some spots to take trees off homes wires and from over water systems
but its gonna be wet, and muddy off the roads
i can scrape roadbed, but thought chains would help in the mud

otherwise you.re pulling on those front tow hooks a lot
or being pushed with a skidder and that'll be ugly on the truck

TTG-

They are "traction chains" not only what a lot of people think of as "snow chains". I have heard that they can dig you into mud faster than plain tires, but I would not be a bit surprised if tires alone would have come to the same result. I have heard that they can help a LOT in mud, but of course they are not invincible. Extremely soupy mud will be different that just wet mud. I've used them in mixed snow and ice and mud, effectively.

If you have the machinery on-site to pull trucks out if they get stuck, you would only lose maybe 30 minutes by putting on the chains, but might gain a lot of time/ wear and tear saved. I say its worth a try.

In my experience, chains are just as effective in mud as in snow. I've used them that way many a time.

You certainly can dig a hole with them, but spinning your tires never accomplishes much anyway...properly applied throttle is key. If your truck is geared high, starting in second can help get it moving without spinning yourself down into a hole.

'Nuther neat trick from my mental archives:

A roll of chain link fence. ;)

put the bag under my seat tonday, hopefully I wont need them... :)

Attachments

• IMAG0446.jpg
    IMAG0446.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 6
The one thing you don't want to do is spin out with chains .That thing will sink like a rock ,clear to the axle then you have big problems . Chains will dig through snow but in mud they act like an excavater .

Just depends, if it's a layer of mud with a hard base, they are great, if its a bottomless corn field, you will sink forever

Well yes you might get mud on top of frozen dirt in the spring time . The snow acts like an insulater though .Get the white stuff off and let it freeze .If it's cold enough that frozen dirt will hold up anything .

I worked on a 42 mile cross country pipeline one winter .They would plow out about a mile or two ahead of the machinery every day . You could drive loaded semis on that frozen tundra .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The way things are looking around here I'm not going to have to worry about it anyways. Snow, snow, and more snow. My bucket ain't going nowhere in this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ahhh you'd get used to it!

You could drive a plow truck couldn't you? Satellite radio and lots of coffee!

If you lightly apply the brakes, it takes the differential (wheel with the least amount of traction will spin) out of the equation. Backing up (to where you want to be) is also a big help in the snow!

I did the brake thing a couple days ago hauling water. Try it, it works! I know I have had to climb out of the side window a couple times while hunting!

Having stuck just about anything that's possible from bull dozers to small autos,mud is much worse than snow . With snow you can dig yourself out if you have too . Mud you're just screwed .

Usually the tree men will skim the snow from a back yard if per chance they get winter which is seldom .Let it freeze over then plywood it .The plywood is just in case it isn't frozen deep enough .Takes forever but they gotta just do it else they spend a week repairing the lawn come spring time .

Back