Winter bucket truck traction

squisher

THE CALM ONE!!!!
Just wondering if any of y'all have any tips for running a bucket around in the winter? I've got a dead failed pine about 40' tall with nothing around it to tie into or anything that the people would like down before it finishes off their neighbors garage. To get to it I have to drive across a snowed up sidehill. I quoted it with a +tow bill addition if the bucket gets stuck. It's already half uprooted and deader than dead.

Just wondeirng what idears might be found.

Wow, I have no idea. Never had to deal with that before, the closest I've come is getting stuck in sugar sand. At that point I have to stop and use the outriggers to pick the truck up and put plywood under the tires so I can get rolling again.

Don't you guys use chains on the tires or something?

I saw Skwerl had responded to this thread, I was expecting to see a large font LOL . :D

Stephen, outriggers would make chain installation a lot easier since you can lift the tires off the ground.

True that... Just most guys don't like having to deal with even the weight of the damn things.
Also.. Most of the utility trucks up here have 4wd. So often with the right tires......

The more you chain and unchain, the more it goes quick and easy. Avoiding twisting and tangling chains when they are taken off (after being put on straight) makes it much better than tossing them in the bag. So much easier before getting stuck.

A friend living in IL where chains are illegal was super stuck in mud. He dug out and installed one homemade tire chain, and drove right out.

Will you be able to be towed out? Are wrecker's big enough available? Will you lose out on other jobs if you get delayed? They will pay for towing, but not for missed work.

If it's cold enough blade the snow off to allow the ground to freeze .If that trick works in the Buckeye state it certainly should in the frozen north country .

I have chains for the bucket. Side hill is not such a good idea, you will want to run them a little ways to make sure they are tight before sidehilling. Outriggers on a snowy sidehill can be a bad deal, be careful

For side hill traction you might need a more solid tensioning device than the rubber bands that pull on the outside "wall" of the chains. If it wants to slide, the chains might slip some. I'd think that driving them with the rubber tensioners to get them tight, then run some scrap rope through them. Couldn't hurt, and would be quick and easy.

Don't make this harder than it needs to be...just put the chains on, properly fitted...no way they can slide off sideways.

Not slide off, but come loose on the downhill side wheels. Some better traction chains close like chain binders, I was thinking of ones that use the rubber bands. Maybe not a problem, but I'm prudent after a lot of having to dig out stuck vehicles. May depend on how side hill and the type of chains. I have been known to overthink things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ohh I'm not trying to make it harder than it is and suprise suprise, having lived up here my whole life and logged many winters I've a wee bit of experience with chains. I was hoping to possibly dig up some other tips. Chains will be nescessary to even get the truck to the site this time of year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think if it's slick enough out it'll just spit it right out? I'm not certain though. I always have plywood around, so I'll use some if need be.

CTM yah I can access it with the plow/sander to have it touched right up.

Again, just trying to see what sort of idears are out there. I know The TreeHouse kicks up some pretty innovative talk at times!

Back